JWs are "peddlers of the word of God"

by AuldSoul 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Merriam-Webster French-English Dictionary

Main Entry: peddler
    Function: noun
    Usage: English word
    : colporteur (masculine), colporteuse (feminine)

Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary

Main Entry: col·por·teur Pronunciation Guide
    Variant(s): also col·por·ter \kälprd.r,-pr-\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s):-s
    Etymology: French colporteur, alteration (influenced by porter à col to carry on one's back, literally, neck) of Middle French comporteur (from comporter to hawk, peddle, carry, bring together)+-eur -or -- more at COMPORT
    : a peddler of books, especially of bibles and religious books and tracts; also : a missionary or publicist for some usually religious cause

What were the early Russellites asked to become?

1980 Yearbook, p.56 France

A call for colporteurs was published in the October 1921 issue of the French Watch Tower. The preaching work was being carried out mainly through the distribution of the book Millions Now Living Will Never Die. The Society printed a special letter for the brothers to use in offering this book to their relatives and friends.

There is no way a French speaking person could understand "colporteur" as anything OTHER than a peddler. They began as peddlers of the word of God. They carry on that same grand tradition to this day, and congratulate themselves for it.

2 Corinthians 2:15-17 — For to God we are a sweet odor of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the latter ones an odor issuing from death to death, to the former ones an odor issuing from life to life. And who is adequately qualified for these things? For we are not peddlers of the word of God as many men are, but as out of sincerity, yes, as sent from God, under God’s view, in company with Christ, we are speaking.

They were NOT sent from God. They were NOT under God's view. They ARE NOT in the company of Christ. They just speak. Endlessly.

Ecclesiastes 12:12 — As regards anything besides these, my son, take a warning: To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion [to them] is wearisome to the flesh.

But these false apostles of Christ brag about the number of books they publish and distribute. They are indeed wearisome. Ask any JW whether they have found the time to read everything the Watchtower Society publishes. Then ask if they ever feel guilty for not doing so.

If they say they have read it all, they are lying. If they say they don't feel guilty for not reading it all, then they are either lying or they are apathetic toward what the Governing Body tells them.

How different Christ Jesus is.

Matthew 11:28-30 — "Come to me, all YOU who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh YOU. Take my yoke upon YOU and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and YOU will find refreshment for YOUR souls. For my yoke is kindly and my load is light."

The load JWs carry is not light at all. It is very weighty. Peddling God's word is hard work, and their religious leaders tell them nothing is more important right now than to carry out that hard work. It is not Christ's load, it is one invented by men who claim to speak in Jesus' behalf. Their peddling works prove they do not speak for Jesus.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

AS, I loved this little exposition of yours! Straight and to the point and gives a clear, unambiguous message that pretty much no one could argue with. Good work.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Thank you, bluesapphire.

• fresia
    fresia

they do help direct people to the bible. cant see how that's so wrong, it also mentions missionaries, so does that then include missionaries of other groups, or anyone that sells bibles.

I think your being petty.

• blueviceroy
  • AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

fresia,

peddlers (salespersons, distributors) of books are colporteurs.

There is NO QUESTION whether a French speaking person thought the term meant something other than "peddler." The Yearbook was recounting an example of a call for colporteurs that was published in a FrenchWatch Tower in 1921.

Jehovah's Witnesses direct people to BOOKS AND MAGAZINES, and they teach that the Bible cannot be understood properly without these extra books. According to their doctrine, the Holy Spirit is alright and all, but it really takes books, LOTS AND LOTS of books and magazines to REALLY be led into all truth.

The only problem with that is: Jesus said the Holy Spirit would lead Christians into all truth, and John said once we receive the spirit we don't need anyone to be teaching us anything, and Paul said that it is the SPIRIT that searches into all things, even the deep things of God.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• VM44
    VM44

The Watchtower wanted to insist they were not "peddlers of God's word", but couldn't very well do that if they continued to use the word "colporteurs".

The funny thing is that using this word apparently didn't bother Russell.

--VM44

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.....JW`s are the Peddlers..Of..What the WBT$ say`s,what the Word of God "is!".......2/3rds of the Governing body must agree on what God says..Or..God dosen`t want that!.....Not even God has a say,in what he Wants!..The Governing Body decides that for Him!.....Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I think your being petty.

Petty? So the sales training meeting (School/Service meeting), sales manual (Reasoning from the Scriptures book), cold calls (Field Circus), and lead followup (Return Visits) didn't ring a bell, did it? That you were being groomed to sell literature?

Let's not forget that your hours are demanded each month, and every salesperson who does not turn in time gets hounded. Missing one month puts you in hot water--it almost did for me when the hounder-hounder came to town. You've got averages to keep, and paperwork to fill out. You are encouraged to make lots of cold calls.

Make no mistake, this is not the unforced sharing of faith with others. This is a machine, and you are one tiny little gear in it all.

Let's also make no mistake that this is the Watchtower's view of Christianity that they're selling.

I wonder if Jesus would approve.

• fresia
    fresia
    Make no mistake, this is not the unforced sharing of faith with others. This is a machine, and you are one tiny little gear in it all.

little ol me a gear in it, I never said I was, but I can't see any harm for this group to go around with interesting magazines that direct people to Jesus. Praise the lord.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit