Jehovah's Witnesses are not a cult and here's why I think so

by B_Deserter 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

When most people think of "cult" they think of The People's Temple, the Branch Davidians, or Heaven's Gate. Many also want to put Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and Scientologists into this group. I don't agree with that because there is one main difference between true cults and high-control groups like JWs:
    Cults (in the modern sense) not only isolate their followers mentally, but also physically. Cult members typically live in a communal setting. In extreme cases, they're relocated to an isolated patch of wilderness such as what happened in Jonestown. In addition to extreme social pressure to conform, menial day-to-day tasks are strictly monitored and rules are enforced.
    Jehovah's Witnesses differ from this cult behavior because their followers live among normal society. The isolation is only mental, and even though there is still extremely strong emotional pressure to stay, no one is physically prevented from leaving the group. There are rules (or "principles") for minor facets of life such as dress, grooming, behavior, etc., in the Jehovah's Witness religion, too, but most of these rules are not (and cannot be) enforced in any physical sense.

• hubert
    hubert

From the FAQ of Steven Hassan's website available online (retrieve August 2006)
    "2. What is the difference between a destructive cult and a benign cult?
    A destructive cult is a pyramid-shaped authoritarian regime with a person or group of people that have dictatorial control. It uses deception in recruiting new members (e.g. people are NOT told up front what the group is, what the group actually believes and what will be expected of them if they become members). It also uses mind control techniques to keep people dependent and obedient. [..]
    Benign cult groups are any group of people who have a set of beliefs and rituals that are non-mainstream. As long as people are freely able to choose to join with full disclosure of the group's doctrine and practices and can choose to disaffiliate without fear or harassment, then it doesn't fall under the behavioral/ psychological destructive cult category."

IT'S STILL A CULT.

Hubert

• Gregor
    Gregor

The term "Cult" is not a precise term. What you have defined is certainly a reasonable definition of the word. Perhaps it is not a perfect fit for the devotion required of a Jehovah's Witness. But to say that JW's are simply a high control religion falls short of the true feeling and experience of many here who lived their lives in its clutches. The military draft, flag salute, birthday and holiday celebrations are one thing, but to conciously refuse a blood transfusion for oneself or a loved one because the omnipotent "Faithful and Discreet Slave" decrees it and knowing it will pobably result in death, is to me the essence of a cult. I have referred to them as a cult for 25 yrs. and I will continue to do so because it is a word that conveys the personality and character of the group.

• Roddy
    Roddy
    When most people think of "cult" they think of The People's Temple, the Branch Davidians, or Heaven's Gate. Many also want to put Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and Scientologists into this group. I don't agree with that because there is one main difference between true cults and high-control groups like JWs:
    Cults (in the modern sense) not only isolate their followers mentally, but also physically. Cult members typically live in a communal setting. In extreme cases, they're relocated to an isolated patch of wilderness such as what happened in Jonestown. In addition to extreme social pressure to conform, menial day-to-day tasks are strictly monitored and rules are enforced.
    Jehovah's Witnesses differ from this cult behavior because their followers live among normal society. The isolation is only mental, and even though there is still extremely strong emotional pressure to stay, no one is physically prevented from leaving the group. There are rules (or "principles") for minor facets of life such as dress, grooming, behavior, etc., in the Jehovah's Witness religion, too, but most of these rules are not (and cannot be) enforced in any physical sense.

I don't believe the JWs are a cult anymore. They are too big to be a cult now. They are just another major denomination with their own set of strange and peculiar beliefs. Like the Mormons or the Church of Scientology.

• Gopher
    Gopher

B_Deserter,

I used to think like you do. But I'm leaning more toward "cult" now.

The main reason they don't isolate themselves in the manner of certain cults is because it's necessary to have rank-and-file Witnesses out in the world to spread their unique brand of propaganda. It's what keeps the members loyal, and also keeps the contributions coming in.

But aside from that , they give cult-like obedience and adoration, not to one man, but to their Governing Body.

My roommate (who had gone to the Kingdom Hall when younger) had a girlfriend over a couple nights ago, and the subject of JW's came up. So I began to explain how the JW's had emotionally separated my parents from me, making them shun me on the basis of an announcement in a Kingdom Hall. I couldn't get very far into the conversation before she said... "so.. they're a cult!". How could I disagree?

Cults dominate your thinking, and make you afraid to leave. JW's are a cult in every way, except for a couple technicalities. But even on a large scale, the cultish mentality is there.

• flipper
    flipper

Jw's are a cult. Jw's are a cult. Jw's are a cult. Jw's are a cult. Jw's are a cult. Jw's are a cult. If ya say it enough your mind gets controlled to believe it's true. Deserter- how many times do the witnesses drill the same monotonous $hit in the heads of all their members ? They are so cult mind controlled , they won't even listen when told of the molestation scandals. The line of reason is totally blurred between right and wrong. They are psychologically controlled, and in virtually all other ways, totally captured ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

The JWs are not a cult, Bush is not a Republican, the Pope is not Roman Catholic, and the US is not in the Northern Hemisphere.

OK, all of the above have something in common....

V

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>The term "Cult" is not a precise term.

I think that's the issue. It's more of a label than a word.

I label them "cult", and at the end of the day, I think I can defend my use of it. But you can defend your "not a cult" position, too.

Dave of the "Former Cult-Member" class

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Please read this Rolling Stone article on Scientology, B_Deserter,

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/9363363/inside_scientology.

I believe it may give you a very different perspective.

In fact, that article helped me, while I was still an active JW elder, to see the parallels between the two groups.

Doctrinally, there is little comparison.

But the high-control techniques they utilize are quite similar.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Here's a link to a checklist of cult characteristics, I think the JW's fit the criteria

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit