Only a few are interested in the truth

by Hiddenwindow 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

It occured to me that most JWs, as many other religious people are not really looking for the Truth; they are rather interested in certain degree of spiritual or emotional confort or at least the illusion of such confort that can be found in cults or religions. Truth inhabits the realm of the intelect, and the intelect is of little use to religious people. What do you think?

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

You could start a whole big debate here on what 'truth' is!

I think most witnesses are looking for some sort of spiritual security or protection. But for the most part they are not intellectuals.

JW's are taught not to trust in their ability to think. Mother is there to do that for them.

Intellect and faith are pretty much incompatible I think.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

If my life carried on with my dad staying alive when I was 11 then I think that maybe I would have continued to feed on the purity of happiness that he alone imbued within the family that I was in! It would take a second of his arriving in a room for calm and dissolution of fear to descend! After he died I have never ever realised that same aura. I have been searching in others, and in myself where I know it exists, to recreate that mood but alas to no avail except on occasions with my own children who are now grown and have had other influences beyond my comprehension. What I once had was lost with the passing of my father and I have met no one who levies that same influence. It was in my grandmother though she was weakened by the loss of her second son(my father) and more needy than able to inspire oftentimes. I think I looked to: the odd friend that came along; the rarely available female; any chance encounters with family; work colleagues I shared time with; seek intensely of religion for some time' and thought I had found it in the futures of my own children - this lifes magic - but alas to no avail, whenever it came close life stole it away! Maybe the truth is not to be searched for and found. Maybe it just happens the magic of what malkes the world seem magical! It seems so wonderful when I see people who have spent their lives in that place I rarely chanced to visit. It would have been my hearts desire to have been there along the way but truth leads some of us to realise that this magical place is but an idyll, a dream, a wonderland for some to spend a moment and others a lifetime. Reality is more stark and rigid, seeking to harm and judge and condemn and force others into errors with which to trap them and keep them prisoner. It cares not for the joy of others. Not everyone delights in the flight of their neighbor. And whilst some don't the reality remains! Truth.

• Trygon
    Trygon

Besides, who gives a frak about the 'Truth'? Quite frankly I would rather live a good life blind then lead a life of endless puzzeling. And if I happen to stumble upon this 'Truth' then I will accept it with good pace and move on.

• justhuman
    justhuman

Maybe but remember those who follow Jesus are only few

• Trygon
    Trygon

70% of Great Britians entire population are Christians that all believe in Jesus and look to the Bible for support. Christianity is a popular religion and to say that few believe it is a understatement.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I was a witness, I used to pray everytime that Jehovah would show me the truth. By 83 he showed me that the Wactower didnt have truth.

Having been out of the tower since 83. I have looked for something called the truth. I have found there is very little of anything called truth in this life.

2 truths I am aware of are death and taxes. Outside of that, life has no meaning or purpose that I can see other than what you give it. So that could be your individual truth.

Truth inhabits the intelect and the intelect is of little use to religious people. I say amem to that!

If someone was a thinker they would rebel at others telling them dogmatically what to think.

• flipper
    flipper

I think most Jehovah's Witnesses are interested in the "false "

• garybuss
    garybuss

With Witnesses, truth is the product, and it's transitional. Witnesses believe they are "right", and that's the concept that motivates them.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

"The Truth" is just a catch-phrase, a hook, followed quickly by a line and sinker. Absolute truth, or even relative truth, is a moving target when associated with philosophy or religious thought.

The Bible Students had the 'truth' didn't they? But none [or very little] of that body of truth remains as today's truth. The same will be true of the religion a hundred years hence. It will not be recognizable when compared to today's 'truth'. Yet the Jw's of 2107 will be proclaiming that Jehovah gave them unspoiled and unsoiled truth to be spread to all who would hear it, for salvation.

The lack of intellectual integrity in that misses most of them now - and it will miss them then too. They need a pacifier to console them into believing a divine selection that cannot be proven nor demonstrated by results. The basis for their faith is not 'truth' but is denial and delusion.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit