If you STILL believe in GOD, what do you believe is the RIGHT way?

by Bourne 31 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

To me, to believe in God and then have the idea that I am supposed to show other people how to believe in God is a very self serving thing. Who am I to think that GOD, the creator of everything we can see, taste, touch, or feel would ever need me to show anyone anything about HIM? How about if He is really a She, since everything that has ever come to exist has come through the female side of life?

It is a dangerous place to put ourselves, as being the mouthpieces of God, some of us here have seen what that does and leads to. Knowing myself, if I were God, I would trust the birds to carry my story, for they could be depended upon far better than the man I am.

I think (S)He might see it the same way, or at least see through my eyes and see that I am nowhere near worthy, and never will believe myself to be.

She likes the birds the best...that's why they are so pretty and sing so well.

WLG

• V
    V

Hello again. Since you say, "I have always had a critical and scientific approach to things," I would like to explore your words some more:

if you believe that the Bible IS from god, then it would follow that you would proceed from the most accurate translations,

Factors to consider:

• Is the Bible as we know it an inspired "unit"?
    • Could parts of it be valid and others irrelavant?
    • Who was responsible for compiling the books of the Bible, and should we consider other non-canonical texts?

Would it dampen your concern for "the most accurate translations" if the Bible as a unit was somewhat flawed?

and from these proceed under your own conscience in following God's Word.

Good point. But consider that many examples in the Hebrew Scriptures acted in ways (with divine blessing) that are plainly illegal according to modern standards. When you sift through all the various material in the Bible, your conscience stands alone anyway. If you have studied other faiths, you will know that the basic principles of Christainity are also mirrored in other holy writings. So is the Bible so special when forming your conscience?

Because, IF you assume that he wanted us to please him, he would have to make sure that a "reasonable" picture of his original thoughts survived from the first century down to our day.

You and I both know you are quoting the Watchtower playbook here. That said, why would he stop communication for almost 2,000 years? Regardless, the evidence of the infinite interpretations of the Bible is plain proof that God did not make sure that a "reasonable picture" remains.

Interesting that you choose the word "remains". I understand that to mean, if we had the original text of the Bible and if we could understand those languages, then everything would be clear. Yet, even in Jesus day--and definitely in Paul's--there was ongoing clarification and argument about how to live as a Christain. So even the Bible testifies to itself in that regard.

That said, for him to hold against us making mistakes due to differences in translations, after doing the best we can, would be flat-out WRONG.....even for him.

Wow, quite a theory. Do you realize that your own words condemn God, in that his judgement is rendered moot by failing to provide a clear code of conduct. What kind of God is this?

Keep thinking...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit