Quips and Quotes

by Frenchy 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

"...It does not take deliberate lies to develop mistaken beliefs. At times, we just misread things. How many people have met untimely deaths doing something they believed was right?"--w2001m 8/1 p.3
    From the article: "Your Right To Believe"

[i]-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.

Sieze the day, and put as little trust as you can in the morrow. (Horace, Odes)

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

"He who smelt it dealt it"

Unknown

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"I have only a small flickering light to guide me in the darkness of a thick forest. Up comes a theologian and blows it out."

-Denis Diderot

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

We live not for today alone for it is the memory of yesterday and the hope of tomorrow that moves us into and out of the present. --The French Knight

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

From the article: “Why Do You Believe What You Believe?”
    W2001 8/1

“The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights enshrines every person’s ‘right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion’. This right includes the freedome ‘to change his religion or belief’ if he wants to do so.” –p. 4

“When it comes to religion, mistaken beliefs have historically caused great harm.”-p. 4

“Unthinking adherence to what previous generations believed and did can, in fact, be dangerous.” –p. 5

“…history is littered with examples of renowned teachers who were absolutely wrong…even modern–day authorities often get things drastically wrong.” –p.5

“A wise person, therfore, does not blindly believe that something is true simply because some authoritative teachers says it is. The same caution is needed when it comes to religious education.” –p.5

“Maybe the media have greatly influenced your beliefs. Most people are glad that there is freedom of speech in the media…what is often presented is biased information that can insidiously affect your thinking.” –p.5

“Building on the ideas and philosophies of men is like building on sand.” –p.6

“…God has given you intellectual capacity to investigate the world around you and to ask questions concerning spiritual matters…” –p.6

“…it is true that religions leaders who claim to follow the bible have produced many confusing and conflicting ideas.” –p.6

“The Bible encourages us to check our beliefs against what it teaches.” -p.6

“Jehovah’s Witnesses will be happy to help you to do this. Of course, it is your decision as to what you want to believe. However, it is the course of wisdom to make sure that your beliefs are shaped, not by human wisdom and desires, but, rather, by God’s revealed word of truth.” –end of article.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• TMS
    TMS

"When I look back on all the crap I learned in High School,
    its a wonder I can think at all.

But my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
    I can read the writing on the wall."

Paul Simon, "Kodachrome"

"The teachers who taught me weren't cool, putting me down, turning
    me 'round, filling me up with their rules."

John Lennon, "Getting Better"

TMS

• Simon
    Simon

Hey, nice to see you again Frenchy !

"You can please all of the people, some of the time or some of the people all of the time but if you want to get them to agree on a forum... forget it" - Simon

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Cajun boy,

“Jehovah’s Witnesses will be happy to help you to do this. Of course, it is your decision as to what you want to believe. However, it is the course of wisdom to make sure that your beliefs are shaped, not by human wisdom and desires, but, rather, by God’s revealed word of truth.” –end of article.

"A rose is a rose no matter what you name it." loosely Shakespeare.

"Bullshit is bullshit." unknown deep thinker

Hope you stick around for a while - you're missed, so is the French Knight.

waiting

• ballistic
    ballistic

"eat drink and be merry for tommorrow we are to die!"

- unknown genius

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit