A Mormon President?

by a Christian 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gopher
    Gopher

I find the original post to be needless fear-mongering at best, and prejudicial at worst.

Has Massachusetts turned into a Mormon state with Romney as governor? Has there been a spike in recruiting there?

Did America turn blatantly Catholic while JFK was its president? Did his religion even matter after his election?

We should be looking at Romney's ability to run a government and see whether he's a good candidate to lead America through challenging times ahead. While it is valid to ask whether someone's religion will unduly influence the way they behave in office, it's hard to see where Romney has ever made religion an issue in his public life.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

i hope you gringos have enough separation of religion and state to not let the religious views of a president effect any of his/her politics. it's pretty clear by now, who's gonna be the next president. and even if a JW could and would be elected, it couldn't be much worse than it is right at the moment.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    i hope you gringos have enough separation of religion and state to not let the religious views of a president effect any of his/her politics.

GRINGOS? That's an insulting term to use regarding Americans. You're close to violating posting guidelines #1 and #2 here.

The American constitution does have the "establishment" clause prohibiting government from favoring or establishing a religion. So I don't know what "enough" separation is, there should be absolute separation. But that's not the reality. The elections of the 1980s and the 2000s have had clear religious undertones, where the Republican party used its evangelical base to promote distrust of the opposition.

it's pretty clear by now, who's gonna be the next president.

I have to disagree. There are front-runners in both parties, but they haven't even had the primaries yet. There are several leading candidates, any of whom could gain momentum and take the lead in their respective party's races.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Mike Huckabee, a good Christian man,

An Arkansan, just thought I would throw that in.

• a Christian
    a Christian

Gopher Wrote: I find the original post to be needless fear-mongering at best, and prejudicial at worst. Has Massachusetts turned into a Mormon state with Romney as governor? Has there been a spike in recruiting there?

Mormon state? No. Spike in recruiting? Probably not a large one. But one more life lost to the cults is one more too many. Anything that may give credibility to the cults and help even one more person listen to them is something I hope does not happen. As a former JW who has found Christian freedom I hate the thought of anyone falling under the control of false teachers such as the Mormons, the JWs, the Moonies, etc.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

well, you know... if you feel insulted by that word, that's really not my problem. i don't give too much about PC.

• bob1999
    bob1999

"GRINGOS? That's an insulting term to use regarding Americans."

I'm a WASP American, fourth generation. Any American who is insulted by being called Gringo is being way too sensitive.

Whatever happened to "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

Come on, get a backbone!

I hate all this politically correct sh_t.

"Gringo (feminine, gringa) is a term in the Spanish and Portuguese languages used in some countries of Latin America to refer to foreigners from different cultures, especially from the United States, but also from Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and elsewhere, including in some cases other countries of Latin America itself.[1]

Some controversy exists regarding whether gringo is a derogatory term. The American Heritage Dictionary classifies the term as offensive slang.[2] The term gringo does lend itself to derogatory, paternalistic or endearing connotations sometimes, depending on the context and the intent of the user. The enunciation of the word can often give away whether it was meant in a derogatory manner or not. However, many native speakers who use it do not do so pejoratively. There is also some variation in the connotation of this word from country to country within Latin America."

• Satanus
    Satanus

While mormons are cultic, i don't think that a mormon pres would be very much danger. That is because their salvation concept is fairly open. They think that all they need to do to save others (at least the dead, maybe the living too) is do a proxy baptism for them. And so, i think he would live and let live without attempting to push his religion too much. Unlike bush.

S

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Has Massachusetts turned into a Mormon state with Romney as governor? Has there been a spike in recruiting there?

Did America turn blatantly Catholic while JFK was its president? Did his religion even matter after his election?

We should be looking at Romney's ability to run a government and see whether he's a good candidate to lead America through challenging times ahead. While it is valid to ask whether someone's religion will unduly influence the way they behave in office, it's hard to see where Romney has ever made religion an issue in his public life.

Amen Brother, Amen!

If you spend your time selecting a leader by what door of a Church they open on Sunday then you scare me more than far left or right leaning politician. Romney is a good executive who knows how to run things.... that will be one the things I consider. I also like Huckabee, but NOT because of his religion, but because he too has executive experience and a record to run on. I also like Richardson. Quit trying to make the "M" word (mormon) comparible to the "N" word.... ANYTIME you put someone down like that demeans you, not them.

• undercover
    undercover

When I first learned of Romney and his faith as a Mormon, I kinda disliked him right off the bat, then realized I was being prejudiced against him based on his being Mormon. Once I realized that, I no longer have a problem with his being Mormon any more than I have a problem with Dubya being a Christian.

They all allow their religious convictions to sway their thinking and decisions anyway, so what's the difference between a Mormon and a nutjob who thinks God talks to him?

If we have to have a religious person as president, let's get a Rastafarian...and maybe we can get marijuana legalized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit