Three Sisters Came by the house yesterday

by purplesofa 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

I've had similar exchanges when I've encountered JWs, either when a "friend" shows up at the door unannounced or when I'm out doing my usual errands.

There's very little substance to the conversation, don't you find that? All very superficial, all very "gossipy", almost glossing over the "how are yous" in favor of what the latest mag or publication had to say. If you say something important, they derail the conversation into how-important-the-meetings-are manifesto.

I always laugh out loud whenever they offer me a ride to the meetings. I remind them of times when I actually wanted and asked for a ride but it was always too inconvenient for them. I tell them that I know perfectly well where the KH is located and that if I wanted to be there, I would be there. They turn eight shades of humiliated and find a way to exit the situation.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Because don't we all put on a suit and a tie to go visit our "friends" un announced?

A "friend" might visit unannounced, BUT he/she would never get dressed up to make the visit knowing full well that the "friend" is probably painting the house or washing the dog.

"Friends" are supposed to be comfortable, like a well-worn pair of jeans; they shouldn't do things to make each other purposely uncomfortable.

Agreed that these are not our "friends"?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

There's very little substance to the conversation, don't you find that? All very superficial, all very "gossipy", almost glossing over the "how are yous" in favor of what the latest mag or publication had to say. If you say something important, they derail the conversation into how-important-the-meetings-are manifesto.

Friday, I had to go to the main office of where I used to work. It was fantastic to see some of my past co-workers. I felt a bond to them. Comparing the two encounters now, I see that at work, I was more myself than I ever was at the Kingdom Hall. I felt more grounded with individual people at work than anyone at the Hall, maybe one or two.

I think part of it is, women do have respect in the workplace, and they do respect each other. Women in the congregations, are little doormats without much individuality. We are all taught and told to be nice to each other, so who the hell knows if someone is genuinely nice or not?

At least at work, you can respect on two different levels, the working level and personal. There is no seperation in JW world. It is all based on performance. It is all based on works.

As far as going door-to-door..........I was thinking about this the other day, Our society has changed, at least where I do. Twenty years ago, I had milk delivered to my house, the paperboy came by to collect for delivering the paper, Schwanns came by to deliver, (but by a calender) Someone came around the neighborhood to see if you wanted to buy firewood or have your yard raked. The postman delivered packages. (now we have to pick them up at the post office or they just leave them) There were even people selling household gadgets door-to-door. So, really, I had people that came to my door and it was just part of daily life.

Now, no one needs to stop by. Its not a way of life. Women are not at home taking care of the house and little ones like they used to.

When that doorbell rings its not like it used to be. When people are home now its usually brief. lol, blah blah blah.

purps

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    One sister said for me to call her if I ever needed a ride to the meetings!!!!
    How laughable! How about if you were starving and needed a meal, or were injured and needed a ride to the hospital ... could you call her then too?
  • R.F.
    R.F.

Purps,

I wouldn't be too alarmed at the possiblity of the elders interrogating you after the sisters' visit. You have kept a very low profile in the congregation, and if I know this BOE well enough like I think I do, they would hardly make an attempt to contact you. Perhaps they may continue their visits that they must make so they can say they've attempted to "shepherd all of the flock", but they can easily be avoided, especially with your circumstances.

R.F.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

You might guess what three sisters came by RF

I hope you are right, I just have a feeling that this time, its easier to pick up that I just dont care anymore. I have been away long enough now that I don't think I coverup well.

purps

• Crafty Lady
    Crafty Lady

I have a brother who shows up without calling and he's not even a witness. He will walk right in if the door is unlocked and sometimes has a friend with him. I've asked and asked him to call first--he now calls (sometimes), so we've made progress.

My sister recently got an apartment in a complex that has a locked outer door. Visitors are supposed to use the intercom and be buzzed in. We were laughing and saying that bro wouldn't be able to just show up at the apartment door. Last week there was a knock on her door and it was bro and wife. We found that all the other tenants (most of them older) let anyone in. The joke was on us! That's some real security.

When I was a witness, I hated how we just showed up at other witnesses or interested people's houses while in service and expected to be welcomed with open arms. Of course, coffee or tea and use of the bathroom was expected too. What a lot of gall that takes. I wonder why that got to be such a common practice.

Crafty

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Power to you sister.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

PS,

The "disconnect" is the chasm that exists between reality and myth. Kind of cool to be on this side, huh?

Yours in this Journey,

V

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit