Another Take On the New WT Format

by AllTimeJeff 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

When I first heard about the change to a members only WT, I was beyond furious. I had gone back and forth as to whether I used to belong to a cult. Now I know. The GB continues to isolate in their own unique way all of their flock. I am not suggesting that they are going to do Jamestown. The fact is that most cults don't do mass suicides. But that doesn't make cults any less dangerous...

I read the first "Study Edition" WT and found it very benign. Then it occurred to me; The GB usually is very adept at PR. They play their cards well, and they aren't showing them all right now.

Surely they would know that the first few members only WT's would be under great scrutiny. Thus, I have concluded that it is highly unlikely that anything very controversial will be printed for the next several months, maybe past a year or more. The idea is to slowly condition everyone to it, and introduce more controversial items, articles and teachings as time goes on.

That isn't to say that new light won't come up. JWD has had all kinds of rumors coming out about a proposed new light teaching on "the generation". I am sure it will be in the new WT. Or maybe a statement now, a talk at the next series of DC's this year, and a whole big blow up on the subject next year, well after the "excitement and controversy" of the new format for the WT has died down....

What do you think about this scenario? This is just me opining, but it seems to make some sense.....

• dawg
    dawg

I hope you worng, I'm layikng in wait to hear a change in the generation doctrine... I'm going to explode on my friends and familuy in the cult when they change that. If they do...

• oompa
    oompa
    Jeff: JWD has had all kinds of rumors coming out about a proposed new light teaching on "the generation". I am sure it will be in the new WT. Or maybe a statement now, a talk at the next series of DC's this year, and a whole big blow up on the subject next year

I really feel the JW only WT is just a cost cutting procedure and nothing more. They already have a private journal in the KM, and they certainly know that ANYTHING published will wind up on the Internet anyway, so it is not for secrecy. What I have asked in other threads and had to answer to is why anyone would think there could be major new Bright Light on the subject of the 1914 Generation.......It has been totally gone since 1995 so unless they change their minds and say it still is that actual generation of 1914 and that until a Tibetan Monk dies at the age of 140 in 2054 we will be in the last days, I don't see what the excitment is.....oompa

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    I really feel the JW only WT is just a cost cutting procedure and nothing more.

I more or less agree with this Oompa. However, it does make the insertion of more cultish ideas and activities easier and less available to the public....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Yes, my predictions may seem way out of this world. But, I predict that they are gradually going to ban anything and everything that is fun. Entertainment of all kinds could well be banned bit by bit, and they won't even realize it. The Internet and college will be totally banned, again bit by bit so they won't even realize it. School for children could be looked down on, especially if the children can legally drop out of high school and pioneer.

They could also finalize a ban on coffee. I remember a topic a while back where they wasted a whole page deciding that, for now, it is a conscience matter. With the number and length of coffee breaks in field circus, I wouldn't be surprised if they crack down on that. No more coffee breaks means people will be forced to spend the whole time doing door to door. And, they would use as evidence of drinking coffee if someone goes out of the territory for a time or wastes time warming up or cooling off (even if they see the orange juice bottle).

More immediately, I see them urging people to quit their jobs altogether and pioneer. They already touched on this. Of course, if they have anything saved, they need to put it in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. Insurance policies and wills are to be made to the Watchtower Society. They could put stronger language in those policies that are already in force to some extent.

If this cult survives long enough, I envision the life to be sterile. People will be getting up in time to make it to the Kingdumb Hell by 5:30 AM. There will be quotas of litter-ature that have to be placed to avoid being accused of stealing from Jehovah. From that time until bedtime (well after midnight), they will be placing litter-ature at a grueling pace. There will be the boasting sessions in the week, about like there already are (just as boring, if not even worse). The litter-ature will be all recycled articles. There will be endless NR's, the numbers of which reaching triple digits, with the same message. Anyone doing anything else that is not absolutely necessary for physical survival will be hounded because that is "stealing". Who knows how long it will take to get to that stage.

• oompa
    oompa

Jeff, what about the 1914 generation thought? No one seems to want to hear this.....oompa

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

WTWizard - I trust that your tongue is firmly in your cheek!

To ban coffee you would have to ban tea. You just try getting your respectable English "Sister" to give up her cup of tea...I would forecast open rebellion and the cry "You just make me give it up...."

They would not leave the Org,........ just ignore the "cousell"

• Clam
    Clam

I suppose the "internal" Watchtower could be useful to insidiously put new light out, but it could also be used as an outlet for the less palatable and whackier aspects of being a JW, eg blood, avoiding worldly celebrations, no competitive sports, no masturbating, no clinking glasses in celebration, why shunning is great and possibly why coffee is not for christians (surely decaff would be ok?).

This gives any potential convert the chance to read bible doctrine and the mainstream stuff, but not be exposed early on to all the loony stuff.

I have to agree with some other posters here though, this is primarily a profit increasing exercise.

Clam

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Oompa, what do you mean about the 1914 generation? We all know they changed the theology in 95, and recently have been distancing themselves from it for another generation by comparing the supposed 120 year period of the Arks contruction.... Just curious.

Edit: Sorry Oompa.... I reread your post....I don't know what they could possibly pull out of their rectal area, but I don't put anything past them. I don't forsee going back to the pre 95 teaching. I do see them making chesslike theological statements to gradually install a new understanding of "the generation" mentioned in Mt 24. Even at Gilead, the instructors mentioned that the GB doesn't totally understand everything in MT 24 and 25.

When that big change came out in 95, I recall the change being rather sudden. I am thinking if they do a major shift like that again it will be a lot more gradual, if they can pull it off...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The Special Watchtower,will be like a Special Talk..Theres nothing Special about it,except the word "Special".....For the WBT$,it will be one less magazine to print..And..The one they do print,will be Special..LOL!!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit