Wish me well on my Greek exam

by truthsearcher 36 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace... and may you "ace" your exam.

SA, a fellow exam-taker (on her own)

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

GOOD LUCK

• Forscher
    Forscher

The best to you on your exam!

I learned my Greek through self study starting with Greek; A Programed Primer by John R. Werner back in the 1980s. Where I lived courses in the language weren't available within several hundred miles. So I did it the best way I could. Werner's volumes exposes the student to a larger cross section of ancient Greek than just Koine (there were even some translation execises taken from examples of the Spartan dialect which have managed to survive down the ages). I enjoyed it.

Forscher

• seawolf
    seawolf

You only need to know enough Greek so when you're at university you know which building has the best keg party. j/k

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Hi all:

Sorry to have neglected this thread, I have been recovering from the exam...it took me several hours to write, plus I had to make up a couple of tests I missed earlier. I think it went very well, and I attempted the extra points section where we had to "intelligently guess" at some of the translation. Nothing to lose by trying, right?

We have a test every class on the new material, so it has been a challenge keeping up, but I use index cards and carry them around with me. Any spare moment, you will find me refreshing my memory. I also draw stick figures on the front to help remember what the word means. That has been really helpful. I also write out charts to try and organize it logically in my brain.

So far, it seems to be working. I am usually however 1-2 classes behind in my understanding of the material. The professor has assured the class that is normal. There is one guy who is so funny: whenever he is asked a question, he just looks up with a blank and confused look of his face and loudly says "Whaaaaaaaaaat?" It makes me laugh, because I am usually thinking the exact same thing. (He also says his awkward translations with a Yoda voice, which is hilarious). We are using J. Gresham Machen's New Testament Greek For Beginners.

My daughter, in high school, is also taking the class with me (that's my pretty angel avatar). So ya know the pressure is REALLY on mom! She is doing great, and I am proud of her for taking up the challenge with me.

There are some wonderful resources on the Internet for learning Greek, and if anyone is interested I can post some web addresses. We had started learning on our own using one website, and then I thought if we went to a college class, it might be easier...and fun...and... what was I thinking?????!!!!!! I have spent way less time on the Internet as a result, so that is probably a GOOD thing...have you missed me, lol?

Anyway, I am glad to know there are others like me with a thirst for knowledge and who have lived to tell the tale!

agape, TS

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Glad it seemed to go well for you, truthsearcher.

Just be careful though.

Don't dig too deeply or you might end up like Bart Ehrman.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Wow, youre taking a GEEK exam! Thats awesome. I hope you do really well.

Can I suggest a brown tank top, white socks and a comb over hairdo, to help you give the right impression.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Good job on finishing!! That's the most important part!

I hope you did really well- you seemed to be quite prepared.

Let us know when you receive your score. I wonder if your daughter will kick your butt??

:-O

Just kiddin

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Just received the exams back last night. I'm excited to say that I managed to get perfect, plus extra points for attempting the bonus translation section.

So how does 106% sound? My daughter also gets a big thumbs up for her 103%. I think she might have actually beat me if she hadn't misunderstood some directions on the exam .

We can't get too excited by the state of things, because the grammar has officially become confusing--with the Present, Imperfect,Middle, Passive, Deponent, Future forms driving me crazy! We have a final exam next week, and I am not looking forward to trying to get all those word endings down pat.

Back to the books!

• free2think
    free2think

Congratulations TruthSearcher, thats a fantastic result for both of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit