homosexuals and JWs

by solidergirl 67 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

What he meant in his statement was that he did not choose to be gay. Read what is meant, not just said in words. Lifestyles are chosen. Life is not. You are born with life dimensions that manifest in different stages of life. The gay, straight or bi gender is one dimension of life out of many dimensions. Like it or not, it will manifest itself some time during your life. I do believe that it may be tied to the personality of the individual like favorite color and favorite food preferences, to put it simply. You don't choose to like certain foods. Either you like them or you don't. You don't choose to like a certain color. Either you favor it or you don't. It's very very personal and pre-wired in the individual.

Chenoa

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

BFD why is it people like you have to resort to insults when someone does'nt seem to agree with you? seems very childish to me ,you must have had a very difficult time as a witness.

I was asking an honest question trying to understand hambeak ,but there you go some people have to try like you ,BFD, to make themselves look a progressive ,tolerant person, just trying to grandstand.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Most of the people I know (that are homosexual) have said they felt an attraction sexually to the same sex since they were very young; and that's just the way it was. Yet I know several people that insist that "something had to have happened to them" to make them "that way". That always bothers me, why are people so unacepting to the point of not being able to see past what they were taught and all the circular logic that entails. What I don't understand is the people who believe in God yet fail to think about the concept that if in fact these people were born attracted to their same sex, then why is it considered a sin to be gay? It's what comes natural to them, to feel that way and what seems unnatural is to be forced to hide who they really are. And how would the people who are so judgemental about homosexuals feel if it were them born that way? They would feel differently I suppose and all of a sudden they would be able to see past their little box they live inside of.
    My older sister (a witness) was in a relationship awhile back with a woman. My mom said she would rather her be dead then be gay. I cannot for the life of me comprehend how a parent could be like that towards their own child.

• BFD
    BFD

wasa, I'm not grandstanding at all. Obviously, hambeak, was not a successful elder. And really I don't consider eldership success.

BFD

• Numinous
    Numinous

I have seen so much heartache in people trying to overcome their true feelings: marriages taped together, people in their 30s and 40s I knew were gay who had resigned themselves to living single, and others who felt the weight of this enormous sin--a sin your own mom would rather see you dead than accept. The definition of sin is denying ourselves or others the right to thrive. Those I knew who denied this very basic, powerful force within themselves and stayed in the congregation were exceptionally homophobic or made sure everybody else was denying their deepest desires too, right before their circumstances changed dramatically. The WT wants them to feel this is the worst sin ever, and it eats alive anybody who either thinks this way or acts on it. Sexuality is the number one element of control within mind-controlling cults.

• veradico
    veradico

Chenoa, I think you are conflating two different aspects of personality: gender and sexual orientation. These concepts are distinct in most people, though some reject either one or both of them as meaningful for them. Whether one identifies with the male or female gender can be different from the reproductive organs one was born with, and whether one identifies with the male or female gender is distinct from the sex one is attracted to. I suspect that if someone did not have the vocabulary to distinguish between these concepts or lived in a sufficiently repressive and intolerant society, he or she might fantasize about being a different gender as the only conceivable way to be with someone of the same sex. In any case, being gay is not the same as being transgendered. And being transgendered is not the same as liking to wear drag from time to time (a practice enjoyed by some people, both straight and gay, who feel oppressed by gender stereotypes).

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well if I get time, I will weigh in with my 2 cents on this subject. too tired now,must go to bed.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I don't find the current WT stance on homosexuality to be particularly hatefilled, in fact if i recall correctly it was sympathetic in a WT kind of way - pitying. In fact I recall the delighted response of one gayJW messageboard I read. Nonetheless I think that the view that homosexuality is a sin legitamises some of the members' hate for homosexuals.

While some of my family wont associate at all with me they have as their best friend a gay, but celibate, JW who spent a number of years out (Sept 11th brought him back, ugh!). Witnesses are often pretty far behind the times on social issues (understatement) and while I don't ever imagine they'll change their view on homosexuality I think that car groups will become less inclined to spout hate as more gay witnesses come out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit