"Babylon the Great has Gallen--God's Kingdom Rules!"

by Terry 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xavier1
    Xavier1

I remember that book (the blue one) "the Truth" in French "La vérité..." As i live in the part of Switzerland where the people speak french. We talk about this book as the blue bomb, because many people read it in 6 month in become baptize..

Xavier

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

That book gave me headaches, too. It was when studying it that I first began to see how preposterous are the theories of JWs. One wobbly premise after another, supporting yet another ill-concieved notion, used as a foundation for the next ludicrous, belabored pronouncement, tacked onto, hammered to fit, trimmed, crowbarred, duct taped, sanded, shined and proudly trotted out and foisted upon the wild-eyed, drooling masses at the next convention - and all of it eventually canonized and labeled, "The Truth." Then harshly enforced as such.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I actually remember offering that book in field service and placing a couple--even reading Revelation 18:4 to the householder. One person actually came into the truth later on. Unbelievable.....

• Poztate
    Poztate

I remember studying that book. WTF...nothing but a big TURD...

You had to juggle the book and the question book since it was so huge it didn't have room for the questions at the bottom of the page.

The study conductors didn't seem to understand it and I am sure they would have panicked if anyone would have asked a question based on the "information" in the paragraphs.

Most just used the DRONE principle...Find the "right answer" in the paragraph and drone it back to the group.

I seem to remember them halting the study half way through the book to study something else for a while probably cause all that deep stuff led to a lot of mind numbing burnout cases..

Anybody else remember that??...

• Dagney
    Dagney

I placed that book from door to door at five years old with a three scripture sermon. "She has fallen...Babylon the Great has fallen...get out of her my people..." (Gonna have a nightmare tonight maybe...)

Then I remember studying it twice in the bookstudy. I remember coloring in the pretty lady sitting on the seven headed beast.

• Terry
    Terry

I'm trying to jog my own memory here. Wasn't the Babylon book the one that had the questions on the paragraphs in a separate pamphlet like booklet?

If so, I wonder why?

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene
    I'm trying to jog my own memory here. Wasn't the Babylon book the one that had the questions on the paragraphs in a separate pamphlet like booklet? Yes. I have my grandmother's.

If so, I wonder why? So the book itself would only be 704 pages it is rather than the 798 pages it might have been? The question-answer study format was an afterthought in its case? Beats me.

~Merry

• proplog2
    proplog2

It was released at the world wide assemblies in 1963. I conducted the book study (age 19) and remember a couple of times I fell asleep while the brother was reading the paragraphs. It was almost as boring as the Isaiah books.

• JCanon
    JCanon

Hi Terry. Definitely a milestone book, But PROBLEMATIC! For instance, it is not quoted from by the new WT CD!! They left it out!!!

And at one point, the WTS published "The Two Babylons" by Alexander Hislop, upon which a lot of what is in the Babylon Book is based as well. It would be interesting for you, since you have read Martin Luther, to get "The Two Babylons" and see how much in that book compares to Luther. I didn't realize Martin Luther was so detailed about Babylon the Great issues. I knew Luther was very anti-Catholic Church though. The book is online at a couple of place, some even with the graphics:

http://www.piney.com/His222.html

The WTS doesn't include "The Two Babylons" in their CD either. If ever there was an "official" sweep under the rug, your favorite book is one of them! I guess they figure the "Babylon Book" is outdated, or perhaps too reliant on a secular commentary. But I loved the Babylon book a lot as well and am into a lot of the "Mysteries" connections with Freemasonry and the Illuminati that is connected with modern-day BTG.

JCanon

• Terry
    Terry

The Babylon Book is one of the few interesting books that tries to be something more than the umpteenth reiteration of the same old same old.

I always wondered why the Society simply rewrote the same book again and again.

They all start in the Garden of Eden and cover the same doctrinal A B C's ad nauseum.

The Truth that Leads to Eternal Life was pithy doctrinally. Why replace it?

Well, the answer is that those books are filled with wild exaggerations about End Times that don't stand up to scrutiny.

They not only become an embarassment, but; they make the boys at headquarters look like manipulative snake oil salesmen.

The string of books Rutherford penned (with ghost writers) during the thirties read like the ravings of a lunatic now.

It really makes me wonder how sane I ever was as a JW that I couldn't see this!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit