My God - They all are looking like the WTS to me now - religions!

by AK - Jeff 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Stumbled here - and though the surface virtues look attractive at first blush, it didn't take too long before I could not read anymore.

http://avirtuouswoman.org/statement-of-faith/

I am surprised that my view has changed so radically toward religion. Is my mind nearly free? If one parses out the doctrinal differences, this could be an Awake magazine cover.

Jeff

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I am beginning to agree too.

Separating faith from religion and separating God from religion was the most freeing thing that I have done spiritually speaking.

Religion is man-made.

This book helped a lot http://uni.galactic2.net/CWG_1_E.ZIP (turn a blind-eye to the hosting website !!!)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

You're on a roll, Jeff!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Religion is man-made.

And so is god.

Every god is created in the image of the one who worships it.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think the question here is not "What do they believe?" but rather "How do they apply and enforce it?"

The WTS has had and still has a weird set of beliefs that MUST be accepted in its entirety or risk some kind of discipline if personal choice is made known.

Many other religions enforce similar disciplinary action if the entire set of beliefs is not accepted.

But there are also many religions that have a set of beliefs but it is not required for any member to have to accept every part. No one asks them a list of questions to make sure that every bit is believed.

I think you find many aspects of a cult in many relgions (or other groups). You might also find a list of required beliefs. But most of the time a person will not be tossed out if they don't believe everything. Most people know that Catholics have a rule of excommunication. But you seldom hear of anyone who was excommunicated.

What a person believes and how often a discplinary action is enforced is a far greater indicator of how open a group is.

It is very important to separate the beliefs from the actions as well as separate God from an organization or leader(s)

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I'm stumped.

I read the article you linked to, and didn't see any similarities whatsoever.

I see big differences in that the Awake! uses vert little, if any, scripture, while the article in question is very heavy in use of scripture.

BA- What am I missing?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Here was the headline article that I initially saw - it almost gave me flashbacks to articles that we studied in the Wt about Prov 31;

The Proverbs 31 Woman

We want to encourage women to serve God in every aspect of their lives.

• Faith - A Virtuous Woman serves God with all of her heart, mind, and soul. She seeks His will for her life and follows His ways. (Proverbs 31: 26, Proverbs 31: 29 - 31, Matthew 22: 37, John 14: 15, Psalm 119: 15)
    • Marriage - A Virtuous Woman respects her husband. She does him good all the days of her life. She is trustworthy and a helpmeet. (Proverbs 31: 11- 12, Proverbs 31: 23, Proverbs 31: 28, 1 Peter 3, Ephesians 5, Genesis2: 18)
    • Mothering - A Virtuous Woman teaches her children the ways of her Father in heaven. She nurtures her children with the love of Christ, disciplines them with the care and wisdom, and trains them in the way they should go. (Proverbs 31: 28, Proverbs 31: 26, Proverbs 22: 6, Deuteronomy 6, Luke 18: 16)
    • Health - A Virtuous Woman cares for her body. She prepares healthy food for her family. (Proverbs 31: 14 - 15, Proverbs 31: 17, 1 Corinthians 6: 19, Genesis 1: 29, Daniel 1, Leviticus 11)
    • Service - A Virtuous Woman serves her husband, her family, her friends, and her neighbors with a gentle and loving spirit. She is charitable. (Proverbs 31: 12, Proverbs 31: 15, Proverbs 31: 20, 1 Corinthians 13: 13)
    • Finances -A Virtuous Woman seeks her husband’s approval before making purchases and spends money wisely. She is careful to purchase quality items which her family needs. (Proverbs 31: 14, Proverbs 31: 16, Proverbs 31: 18, 1 Timothy 6: 10, Ephesians 5: 23, Deuteronomy 14: 22, Numbers 18: 26)
    • Industry - A Virtuous Woman works willingly with her hands. She sings praises to God and does not grumble while completing her tasks. (Proverbs 31: 13, Proverbs 31: 16, Proverbs 31: 24, Proverbs 31: 31, Philippians 2: 14)
    • Homemaking -A Virtuous Woman is a homemaker. She creates an inviting atmosphere of warmth and love for her family and guests. She uses hospitality to minister to those around her. (Proverbs 31: 15, Proverbs 31: 20 - 22, Proverbs 31: 27, Titus 2: 5, 1 Peter 4: 9, Hebrews 13: 2)
    • Time - A Virtuous Woman uses her time wisely. She works diligently to complete her daily tasks. She does not spend time dwelling on those things that do not please the Lord. (Proverbs 31: 13, Proverbs 31: 19, Proverbs 31: 27, Ecclesiastes 3, Proverbs 16: 9, Philippians 4:8 )
    • Beauty - A Virtuous Woman is a woman of worth and beauty. She has the inner beauty that only comes from Christ. She uses her creativity and sense of style to create beauty in her life and the lives of her loved ones. (Proverbs 31: 10Proverbs 31: 21 - 22, Proverbs 31: 24 -25, Isaiah 61: 10, 1 Timothy 2: 9, 1 Peter 3: 1 - 6)
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I guess what I am saying BA is that all of it is beginning to look the same - the same in a sickening sort of way to me.

To me the article dis-elevates women to a perfunctory role in the family. The same feeling I got with the WTS view of women, that's all.

Jeff

• nvrgnbk
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

NVR - Your posts on the subject pretty well fit my view, brother.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit