What happened in the beginnig of the 90s?

by GermanXJW 11 Replies latest jw friends

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

In 1990 the German branch sought recognition as a Public Corporation. The Austrian branch did a similar thing. in 1991 Lloyd Barry signed for associating as an NGO with UN's PR-Department. They also started to care about their reputation and started a campaign about their persecution in Nazi-Germany Anything else?

I guess the GB had some major decision in the beginning of the 90s to change the behavior towards the public and governments. Maybe they recognized after the fall down of the Soviet Union that their King North vs. King South was wrong and they should get along with their neighborhood?

However, I think they intended to have a smooth, slow chang of direction not to shock the rank&file.

What do you thin? Any more international experiences?

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

I had an international expierance. I went to Mexico last year.

• blondie
    blondie

That sounds reasonable GermanJW. I think it's more like the legal thinking faction took over in the WTS. I've learned that something that is legal is not always moral or ethical or theocratic. I think the situation in Bulgaria on transfusions is another example of thinking legalistically.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi German JW: You make an excellent observation. I think that from time to time the Society tries to gradually moderate and move a little closer toward mainline Christianity. Ray Franz, Ed Dunlap and others helped in this regard in the 1970s, up to the Spring of 1980. Then after they were weeded out, the GB tightened up.

In private forums I visit, some have made the argument that when ex-JWs make a big fuss about the Society joining the UN, or taking other steps toward a moderate position, that we defeat the very thing that we would like to see - that is - a kinder and more gentle Watch Tower religion.

While I have some mixed feelings here, I think that what might appear to be a move toward moderation, is mere pragmatism to further expand and advance the organization's interests. But, more inportantly, the level of hypocrisy they show is so great, that I believe that it must be highlighted in the public so that those still JWs will begin to small a rat, and leave the Watch Tower religion. the best thing that could happen to it is to cut off its support of people (free labor) and money.

The reason I lean this way is that Jesus illustrated how Judaism was like an old wine skin that could not hold new wine, or it might burst. In a similar sense, the Watch Tower religion is the old wine of a corrupted man called Joseph F. Rutherford. He ruined what essentially could have been good. Although Charles Russell was not the brightest light buld in the room, he was at least kinder and more flexible. But, the Watch Tower religion is still built upon a weak and poor foundation, and must really be taken down some way.

If this happens, then the JWs could begin to find what will work for them individually, whether joining a mainline religion, or associating with small free Bible student groups, or simple do like many of us have, and that is to abandon ALL organized religion.

Thanks for a good post and bringing out a great observation. - Amazing

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello Amazing,

My wife and I were talking with another ex-brother, recently x-elder, (and Bethelite) who still attends meetings for his wife’s sake. He said he figures going to the meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses is a little more bearable than going to a church that would teach the trinity and hellfire. He prefers most of the Witness teachings but said he wishes “they would just leave people alone.”

I appreciate you feelings, Amazing, about what could have been:

“the Watch Tower religion is the old wine of a corrupted man called Joseph F. Rutherford. He ruined what essentially could have been good. Although Charles Russell was not the brightest light buld in the room, he was at least kinder and more flexible. But, the Watch Tower religion is still built upon a weak and poor foundation, and must really be taken down some way.

I guess I’m still grieving over loss of what I THOUGHT it was, really wanted it to be during decades of doubt and struggle, and now accepting the reality that it a mindless machine on cruise control bouncing off barricades and mowing over innocent people.

I would love for the money to dry up but this thing will probably never die. I too hope it will learn to moderate and leave people alone.

Jst2laws

• anewperson
    anewperson

Ray Franz’s In Search Of Christian Freedom predicted there would be a movement in which those exiting would be focused on the Hebrews 6:1-2 basics, love, and greater Christian freedom in Christ (Ro 14:1-5) instead of cultic forced sameness of views on everything. The Free Christians Newsletter is worth reading for the information and it helps former Jehovah’s Witnesses wishing to form brand new non-Watchtower groups. For example this very second Mike Terry who is in Conway, Arkansas, is now openly organizing Free Christians groups in his state. All Belief Systems are welcome to try the egroup with newsletter without any obligation to join any organization whatsoever: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jahchristian

• Klaus Vollmer
    Klaus Vollmer

Well seen German JW. Its a great fake that the German Branch is going to become a public corporation. Remeber gthey got this suggestion in the early 60ies when they drove a court case regarding taxes as they ve sold cakes and food at assemblies. The judges recommended to apply for a public corporation, but they rejected.
    In this time it was when I came into contact with JWs and I remember a servant, later elder who told me, that JWs never would become liek a church , to be extortable by politicans.
    I guess that later in the 80ies they recognized the advantages they would have, being a corporation: having public support, share on taxes and being enabled to work free of taxes.
    I bid that when they have the status of a corporation that you will pay again for the literature, that you will get food at the assemblies and that they will get the money which is available.
    There is no asking about these facts - as since the early 90ies they changed their policy - e.g. school - the children of jws might do elections or be elected.
    It is a strange thing that teachings of the 70ies are now contercaried and even the blood philosophy got as change so that some fractions maight be taken.
    all is to find favour in the eyes of the world.
    I doubt that those in the ivory towers still have faith in Jehovah. They only see the big thing and become slayers of their brothers.
    In fact, everybody who does niot agree with their worldy policy has no chance to be an accepted link of the congrgation.you are nothing, the slave is all.
    Its a great thing that now by internet on global level there is an chance of information exchange. And internet teaches us a lot of things.
    for example: I remember about 35 years ago the mentioning of an elderly publisher who already was persecuted by the nazis. He spoke about the declaration of 1933 Berlin - and got a "basket" from the P.O. who was present.
    Last yeara I found out what it was with the declaration - meanwhile I have the whole file, inclusive the answer from the branch office.
    My oppinion: it cannot be what is not allowed to be.
    Something strange like the UN-thing.
    Wash me but dont make me wet or like the Germans say. literally.
    Holy Saint Florian - beware my house lit others on.

I am quite interested how the thread will be declared by those who have the privilegde of total rioghteous ness.
    You know: § 1 They are always right; § 2 are they not right automatically § 1 is valid.

I am convinced that many of them laboring in the bethel industries are fed up of their situation as they also recognize what is wrong in Danmark. But they have nearly no chance to leave and apply for a job in the industry as jobs are rare and experience under competition is not given at the bethel.

We all recognize the decline of motivation within the congregations.
    And as the fish stinks first at its head - all reasons of the present situation are based upstream.

The elders make 6 weeks holiday a year and demand from file and ranks to do more for the truth, being no example for motivation.

We are watching how a faith is substituted by blind faith and ignorance. The Talmud of the pay attention book is more valid than practical aid for the flock.

The lord Jesus would be not so far from his comments like he gave to the pharisees at his time, when he niótified that they have taken place on the chair of moses.....

• blondie
    blondie

I agree, GermanJW. I have seen more and more elders openly cite the Organized to Accomplish Your Ministry book and other WT publications as the authority, not the Bible. When they say, "It's in the book," they aren't talking about the Bible. I have seen a few honest elders try to correct them only to see them made targets of nasty comments by other elders. It is not surprising that the result is that many fine men are stepping down as elders leaving the Pharisaical ones to rule the roost, put heavy loads on the people.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I think in the beginnig of the 90s they decided that they will no longer focus on armageddon at hand (at least within the org's leading). At German court, a judge said that JW have recognized that Armageddon is not coming yet and now they are looking for their place in Society. I think that in 1990 they knew that they would change the Generation-Issue in 1995 and they tried to get incorporated in any way so that the organisation can live on when people leave.

• one
    one

Fred Franz was about to die or was dead, he was the WT architect...
    and you know the rest of the story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit