Did you leave for more than ONE major reason ?

by JH 31 Replies latest jw friends

• rose petal
    rose petal

I finally realised that my (now ex) husband had no intention of changing his abusive, manipulative ways. You know, in the mags they would give examples of people being wife-beaters, drunks, etc, and through becoming a witness they have changed. When my ex starting being abusive, I honestly thought he would be like one of these examples and see the 'error of his ways'.

Fast forward a couple of years, and the situation was the same, he had no incentive to change. He'd scream at me and the kids all the way to the hall, saying the most disgusting things. Then he'd get out of the car, Mr Righteous. I finally saw that he had no intention to change, it wasn't my fault he was the way he was, it was his choice, he could turn his anger on or off.

I went to the elders for help occasionally. They disfellowshipped him when he abused them. I stayed a witness because it seemed the only thing to do. I wasn't allowed to leave according to them. I eventually thought, the hell with this. I was isolated from everybody in the cong because it was public knowledge what he was like.

One day my mother said, do you want to spend eternity with the likes of them? I thought, good point, and that was it. My ex tried everything to make me go back, and be under control, but I wouldn't go. I started to play him at his own game, some psychological mind games. He left. I had no money, but it was bliss. And it's been bliss ever since.

rose petal

• flipper
    flipper

I left for several major reasons . The unjust treatment of people in the congregations by elders and the powers that be, including treatment of myself by the elders. Lack of true caring for people by the members once they walked outside the kingdom hall doors. And a biggie, the cover up of child molestation within the organization and the hateful, despicable way the victims were dealt with . Need I say more

• JH
    JH
    Your comment, JH, seemed to leave the door ajar if only a teensy. Suppose, just for a moment and because of some weird and freakish cataclysm -- they suddenly began to show real and genuine love. Does that mean you'd consider going back?

That was my initial reason for leaving, and back then the only one...today even if they showed love, I have many more reasons for not going back, that developped with time. Their love would not be able to catch up with that.

Oh yeah forgot to mention this, I went back MANY times throughout the years and nothing changed on their part, so that solves the question.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

There was more then one reason. Most of my adolescent life in the jdubs I had a lot of unanswered questions but the biggest thing was that you could not question the fds.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My belief in the Watchtower became this, when I learned of the Lies I was told;

When the congregation of my personal friends for almost 40 years 'boycotted' my mothers' funeral due to my absense at meetings over the previous 6 months, I grabbed these and began to close the box.

Jeff

• dawg
    dawg

AK-Jeff that sucks dude, and that pisses me off! Those people were idiots!

1) I never believed the Bible, I mean come on! A talking snake!

2) Then after being pressured I finally got baptised at age 18.

3) Then I fell in love with a lady whose husband had been living with another woman for over a year, when he found out she was in love with me, he wanted her back and the elders said she had to go... he was a "worldy" man and claimed he wasn't sleeping with the lady he was living with... please! Surly "God's spirit didn't direct them to beleive that liar!

4) I knew it was bogus, so I started reading "apostate" materials... then I found out who was telling the truth and it clearly wasn't the GB.

5) Since then, I see the FADS for what they really are, fools, liars,and control freaks... I dicided this year to do something about it; I wrote letters to my family and blasted them.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That Puketower study article in the April 1, 1995 Puketower about Satan's being to blame for feeling unwanted was the ultimate undoing of my stay in the Watchtower Society, and is the primary reason I chose a method that would waste as much of their time and resources as possible in the process. Other reasons included being told to just meet other men, rules stifling any attempt to make others (especially children that didn't belong to the lead hounder) a bit happy, and the grueling demands for ever more field circus that never seemed genuinely appreciated.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey, JH:

All of the above, of course. What really did it for me, however, was the artwork. The WT should have stuck with the stick figures of yore. I'm a teacher and a firm believer that words and pictures [iconography] combined make an impact for good or for bad on small minds.

Not everyone may agree with the above, but I feel very strongly about it ...

CoCo

• emy the infidel
    emy the infidel

Could you explain more about the artwork, Compound Complex?

Thanks

Emy

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

It's not reality-based.

All the rest was symptomatic.

Anything based on lies and deception will eventually fall to pieces.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit