Noah's preaching--"they took no note"

by skeeder 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

How do you read

2 Peter 2:5 NLT 5 And God did not spare the ancient world—except for Noah and the seven others in his family. Noah warned the world of God’s righteous judgment. So God protected Noah when he destroyed the world of ungodly people with a vast flood.

NIV 5 if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;

Amplified 5 And He spared not the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a preacher of righteousness, with seven other persons, when He brought a flood upon the world of ungodly [people].

Young Literal Trans 5 and the old world did not spare, but the eighth person, Noah, of righteousness a preacher, did keep, a flood on the world of the impious having brought

They all say the same thing, he preached, maybe not globally but at least enough to be noted for it and to Gods satisfaction.

abr

• James Free
    James Free

Actually this was addressed:

So while Noah was a 'preacher of righteousness' this may refer to his preaching righteousness before the matter of the flood ever came up. This may have contributed to his being chosen to be saved.
  • Mary
    Mary

Since the size of the ark had already been determined , it seems unlikely that God intended for other people to join Noah. MATTHEW 24:39

Excellent point! Assuming that the story of Noah's Flood is true, what would have happened if 1,000 or 2,000 people had of listened to Noah's 'warning' and wanted a seat on the Ark? I guess some of the animals would have either been kicked off or hey----maybe those newly converted ones could have helped Noah build a much bigger Ark!

As others have brought out, there is no physical evidence of a global flood that took place 5,000 years ago. However, there does seem to be some evidence that a local flood could have happened around the Meditteranean and thus the story was born.

• Aleman
    Aleman

Dear all,

Truth be said, he was not instructed by God to preach, however he did by his love of the human race. It came to my attention that in those days the world never saw it rain(Gen.2:5,6). So for the people in those days they never felt that rain ever existed, much less the need for an ark.

Also, bear in mind, that in those days the strong and powerful Nephelim and their fathers, Gods fallen angels, ruled the world and gave people fear and made them evil. So much so that God "felt regrets that he had made men in the earth," which is why he brought the great flood.

All this is why "they took no note".

-Aleman

• skeeder
    skeeder

avidbiblereader

Noah warned the world of God’s righteous judgment.

But not "Noah warned the world of a coming global flood

S

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I know it is an arguement for thiests to debate about whether to totally believe the flood as a historical fact, a parbale, a lesson, etc. So, enjoy!

It does seem to be a moot point though with no evidence that it happened. Did Noah preach to the world? Did Noah even exist? Could a 600 year old man build such a structure and gather the animals in a year? Those seem to be more relevant questions. The fact that JW's use Noah as an early "witnessing preacher" is just an oddity, an example of a fringe group taking a legend for its own purposes..... To say nothing of the fact that they also use the Noah account as the first example of typology, where all the charecters represent Jehovah, Jesus, and the 144,000. As I have to go to work and don't want to start a migraine, if I remember, I will post those "logical" types and antitypes tonight. Because when you get down to it, that is what the flood means to JW's, another piece of propaganda to get you to think that the 144,000 and the GB were prophecied about in the bible...

• ush419
    ush419

Maybe Noah only preached to his wife and children, I seem to remember that it was taught that Noah had 120 years to build an ark, he took the instructions from God and did just so, so he wouldn't have made any plans to build it bigger. I wonder what kind of gps system he had to located all the varous islands and countries of the world and drop off animals in them so they would be specific types for their enrvironment????/ It's a myth, if not it had to do with a local flood, even in Josephus it talks of others who came dowq from the mountains.

In book 1 Antiquities of the Jews, Chpt 4 The first several sentences read:

"Now the sons of Noah were Three, __Shem, Japhet, and Ham, born one hundred years before the Deluge. These first of all descended from the mountains into the palins, and fixed their habitation there; and persuaded others who were greatly afraid of the lower grounds on account of the flood, and so were very loth to come down from the higher places to venture to follw thier examples."

Now that seems to lend credence to the fact that the flood in all actually was very local if not who were the others, you mean that Noah's family lived upon the mountain until they had many children and these when they grew up were afraid to come down. Like I said Mythical.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Another noteworthy echo of this tradition is in the First epistle of Clement of Rome to the Corinthians, chapter 7:

These things, beloved, we write to you, not merely to admonish you of your duty, but also to remind ourselves. For we are struggling in the same arena, and the same conflict is assigned to both of us. So let us give up vain and fruitless cares, and approach to the glorious and venerable rule of our holy calling. Let us attend to what is good, pleasing, and acceptable in the sight of Him who formed us. Let us look steadfastly to the blood of Christ, and see how precious that blood is to God, which, having been shed for our salvation, has set the grace of repentance before the whole world. Let us turn to every age that has passed, and learn that, from generation to generation, the Lord has granted a place of repentance to all who would be converted to Him. Noah preached repentance, and as many as listened to him were saved. Jonah proclaimed destruction to the Ninevites; but they, repenting of their sins, propitiated God by prayer, and obtained salvation, although they were aliens [to the covenant] of God.
  • AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Yes, it is generally accepted that 120 years elapsed in the building of the ark. I meant that the animals were gathered and the earth supposedly was flooded and "drained" in a years time... (it was early and I didn't have my coffee I.V. hooked up. ) Thanks for the correction.

On further review, I guess 4 men building a huge "Titanic" made ship out of wood that could hold the entire amount of the NYC Zoo 8 times over in 120 years makes a lot more sense then if it took 1 year. I BELIEVE!!

Just kidding.

As you can tell by my sarcasm, I haven't quite made peace with myself for believing this fairy tale all those years I was a borgite. I can say that when I had the chance to give the public talk "The Flood of Noahs's Day Has Meaning For You" I looked at the outline and got crosseyed and gave it back. I couldn't give that talk. Pure rubbish.. Not that I admitted that to my conscious self at the time...

• FairMind
    FairMind
    Assuming that the story of Noah's Flood is true, what would have happened if 1,000 or ,000 people had of listened to Noah's 'warning' and wanted a seat on the Ark?

Maybe they would have had to construct their own arks.

It does seem to be a moot point though with no evidence that it happened.

Not completely true. The scientific evidence I've seen indicates that a worldwide flood did occur but that the waters would have not covered all land on the earth. If mankind only existed in the region of the earth in which Noah lived then all mankind would as the Bible says have been destroyed. This would have also meant that Noah would only have to save the animal species existing in that region. Ray Franz has an article about this available for reading at his website.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit