Tony Blair 'ashamed and embarassed' by BBC coverage of Katrina

by sixsixsixtynine 18 Replies latest social current

• donkey
    donkey

Simon:

Blair doesn't like the BBC because it stood up to him and questioned the pretences for his war.

The fact is, they reported the news and it was an embarrassing episode for America IMO.

I found it interesting as one poster here started a thread (after Katrina hit) asking Americans if we were 'ashamed and embarassed' by the chaos in New Orleans.

And his overall posting on said thread seemed to be filled with 'hatred toward America'..

Here's the link:

Oops, it no longer exists. As the author used his administrative power to delete it. Guess it never happened.

I have little time or patience for people who try and manipulate things to give a false impression. No topic has been deleted.

Simon Is there a good way to search the site now? I tried to find the quoted post but could not find it. I believe you but wanted to read this for myself. However I am unable to locae it using the current search feature. Thanks

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon
    Is there a good way to search the site now? I tried to find the quoted post but could not find it. I believe you but wanted to read this for myself. However I am unable to locae it using the current search feature. Thanks

Doh!

I checked the topic was there by looking in my post history but I was wrong - it had been removed at the time (~2 years ago) but I saw it because I have permissions. For anyone who is genuinely interested, here are the topics: Americans, are you ashamed? Embarrassed? Apology Five people killed by New Orleans police ! To those who are still obsessed with trying to find something to use to try and attack me (ha ha ha, how sad you are!) get over it and get on with your sad pathetic little lives - that means you Mike Hooper and your wierdo friends (hey Bendrr, you should try and get a girlfriend - getting deleted from a forum for being a wanker isn't really an achievement you know). It is true that you can tell the real character of a person by who they chose to associate with. ha ha ha ... isn't it amazing to know so many people are so obsessed with things you have said!
  • donkey
    donkey

Thanks Simon.

I appreciate your candor and honesty. Looking back at that comment and some of the others yu have made I have to say: You were right, Simon. Bush is a complete moron and has dragged America down. I did not see it as clearly as you did at the time - but I agree completely now.

As a matter of fact I am also friends with Mike Hooper - it's a pity you guys had a falling out. I don't know any of the details - don't really want to - but Mike was there for me when I needed a friend to talk to a few years ago and was very supportive.

BTW the new search is pretty good.

Cheers,
    Gravey

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks Simon.

I appreciate your candor and honesty. Looking back at that comment and some of the others yu have made I have to say: You were right, Simon. Bush is a complete moron and has dragged America down. I did not see it as clearly as you did at the time - but I agree completely now.

As a matter of fact I am also friends with Mike Hooper - it's a pity you guys had a falling out. I don't know any of the details - don't really want to - but Mike was there for me when I needed a friend to talk to a few years ago and was very supportive.

BTW the new search is pretty good.

Cheers,
    Gravey

Thanks. I appreciate your comments (and you reminded me I need to finish something on the search to make it auto update! LOL).

I don't know why people choose to become petty or vindictive or to be honest, what they think I have done to them to make them so obsessed with getting back at me. From my perspective, Mike Hooper is a trouble maker who likes to portray himself as some good guy when in reality he has been behind a lot of the arguing and fall-out on the forums (with various duplicate accounts going back to JWO etc). I don't know why he does it - I think he gets off on it somehow - maybe it's a substitute for some authority that he craves and may have had as a JW (had he not been kicked out by them).

I suspect (looking back at the history and timing) that he thought he was going to 'inherit' this site as I was thinking of stepping back and handing it over and had said as much in admin but I realised it wasn't ready from a practical point of view (a lot of the forum admin functions required hand cranking). Shortly after this Mike and a.n.other ex-moderator got pretty shitty with me pretty quickly (ironic that Mike used to search for and edit out swear words in posts but then started swearing a lot in admin). I don't think he also liked the fact that he'd painted himself into a corner with his chearleader-type support for Bush / Blair and the whole Iraq war (which now makes him look silly and show a lack of insight and judgement IMO) and could not separate me being critical of American foreign policy and politics with my opinion of American people and is still attempting to whip up some crowd by making out that I am 'anti American' (when I am simply anti-bad-government-that-does-harm).

The other thing that we crossed swords over was deletions - he had this naive view that no one should or could ever be permanently deleted when the sad reality is that some people are just out to cause trouble. The extreme was when certain posters were posting elsewhere that they wanted to cause harm to me and my family, including my wife and children, and that somehow they should be allowed to post on my site. This over the top liberalism also extended to people who were threatening or rediculing victims of abuse which is not something I want to allow on this site. The simple fact is that there are plenty of whackos on the internet who should not be welcomed unconditionally - I think sometimes that people should be deleted and stay deleted. Even so, we have given people 2nd chances (and often 3rd, 4th, 5th ... etc) but you do have to draw the line if everytime you reactivate someones account and they start posting filth or insults.

But all this is speculation on my part ... I don't know what his real motivation is just as he doesn't know anything behind what I do even though he is willing to constantly try to cause trouble.

Personally, I don't care what he says (although that doesn't mean I have unlimited patience and will not one day take some action). I don't think he convinces or fools anyone I care about and I don't care about anyone foolish enough to fall for his games.

On the whole I think we do a pretty good job of keeping the site running and generally on track and have a good team of moderators who put a lot of effort in to help provide the site for others - I don't think a lot of people realise a lot of the things that go on and also too much is made of the whole JW aspect to everything ('ooh I've been deleted ... it's like I've been disfellowshipped ... simon is just like the elders ... kill him') when this is by no means unique to this site - I've been on forum admin sites where every forum owner has had the same issues with ex-moderators who setup rival sites because they wanted to own it or be in charge (really!) and obsessive types who keep reappearing causing trouble. It's the internet - giving nutters a voice since 1995, LOL.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Simon, I offer my opinion that you may be seeing demons and adversaries where none need exist.

Since I can only speak for myself: There are things about you that I don't like. There are things about Mike that I don't like. Heck, there are a lot of things about a lot of people (including myself at the top drawer) that I don't like! But that doesn't necessarily mean that they are my enemies, or that coalitions are being formed to take you down, or take Mike up, or some kind of mysterious rebellion against humanity is being formed.

Indeed, there have been, and will continue to be, certain vicious (read sociopathic) types who seem to have nothing better to do than to attack other people. You and your family have certainly been the target of many such attacks, as have Kate and I, and many others. It brings us all great pain to experience such things. Such posters should be prohibited, as best possible, from spewing their venom on the rest of us, at least until such time as they find a way to control their anger and stupidity...but then, that goal may require a certain degree of amelioration and pacification.

However, responding in kind only adds fuel to that fire.

I say this to you, not as an enemy, or as someone who wants to "own" a board, or "run" this board, or set up a new board, or to go into cahoots with others who have set up another board. I say this as someone who cares about you and your family, and about the community that JWD has been for me, and for so many others:

Your anger is consuming you, and it will bring you to a premature death.

With my very deepest and sincerest respects,

Craig

• Simon
    Simon

Simon, I offer my opinion that you may be seeing demons and adversaries where none need exist.

Since I can only speak for myself: There are things about you that I don't like. There are things about Mike that I don't like. Heck, there are a lot of things about a lot of people (including myself at the top drawer) that I don't like! But that doesn't necessarily mean that they are my enemies, or that coalitions are being formed to take you down, or take Mike up, or some kind of mysterious rebellion against humanity is being formed.

Indeed, there have been, and will continue to be, certain vicious (read sociopathic) types who seem to have nothing better to do than to attack other people. You and your family have certainly been the target of many such attacks, as have Kate and I, and many others. It brings us all great pain to experience such things. Such posters should be prohibited, as best possible, from spewing their venom on the rest of us, at least until such time as they find a way to control their anger and stupidity...but then, that goal may require a certain degree of amelioration and pacification.

However, responding in kind only adds fuel to that fire.

I say this to you, not as an enemy, or as someone who wants to "own" a board, or "run" this board, or set up a new board, or to go into cahoots with others who have set up another board. I say this as someone who cares about you and your family, and about the community that JWD has been for me, and for so many others:

Your anger is consuming you, and it will bring you to a premature death.

With my very deepest and sincerest respects,

Craig, I don't think you know me at all so please don't try to give me advice especially when it is so wide of the mark.

I am not 'seeing demons' ... I can tell what people have done and continue to do.

I am not the one being 'consumed by anger' as you put it. Have I even bothered to register an account on another site or argue with these people? Nope, because I can't be arsed. This is about the first thing I have said about any of this. Compare this to the constant references to me and attempts to gee other people into attacking me by one Mr Hooper. Now who is obsessed and being consumed?

Some people repeatedly register accounts on here though and are still obsessed with things that happend several years ago (as this topic is evidence of) but don't seem to have got the message that no one really gives a rats ass.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

It's interesting that the people that were painting the anti war movement as anti American are now strangely quiet. It should not be a surprise that Blair's government was in the pocket of the media moguls, Blair was the most spin obsessed PM the UK has ever had.

What does concern me is that the government got away with the Iraq debacle; David Kelly was murdered and noone has been brought to justice, hundreds of thousands have died, billions have gone into the coffers of the arms manufacturers and the likes of Haliburton and Blackwater and yet STILL we are likely to get a Labour government in the UK and Bush was not impeached.

Contrast this with the unbelievable witch hunt which took place, at tax payers expense, when Bill Clinton got a blowjob. Right wing Americans should be ashamed of their hypocracy and the British as a whole should be ashamed of their lack of integrity.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Simon, I spoke to you from my heart.

It saddens me that you choose to respond in the way you just did.

I, like you, have lost so much because of the religion in which we were raised. I would hope that that common experience would allow us to lower certain barriers and speak with each other as survivors, instead of as adversaries.

In any case, I wish you and your family nothing but the best, as always.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

so, dragging this back on topic....

The footage of the Katrina crisis was pretty shocking and certainly seemed to paint the local black populous as opportunist looters and the local authorities as inept.

I think it is interesting that Bush is not getting any criticism of the way he handled the California fire thing yet he did not step in until the same stage in the crisis, indicative that the Californian state authorities were much better prepared.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit