purplesofa

NO, never

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

I always lie.

Is this a lie? Haha.

• pratt1
    pratt1

While you were a dub did you ever lie or decieve someone you had just met that you were not a dub?

Like maybe you started a new job or school or moved to a new neighborhood and you just didn't want to be known as a dub.

If so why did you do it?

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

First job interview I ever did: proudly announced that I'm a JW (because 'everybody knows how honest and hard-working JWs are'). So that dive-bombed. I'm putting that on the list of 1000 Things It Took To Get Me Out.

Ove the years I would mention it less and less. Opportunities would come up to talk about them and I wouldn't take them. Eventually, I was using the word 'they' when talking to outsiders about JWs, as if I wasn't one any more.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I did the JW thang......lied by omission.

It's weird because when I was a J-dub I always felt people wanted or needed to know my religion.

In the years since I've been out I realize how little it actually ever comes up. Who really cares what religion you are when you are on a job interview, all the Employer wants to know is if you are a good, honest hard worker, they could care less about your religion, nationality or your family life, in fact I think it's a crime for them to ask you on your interview about your religion, race or age, could be mistaken about that?!

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I never lied but I also never mentioned that I was one of JW's unless someone asked what church did I attend and I would respond the KH of JW. Also, I never said I don't do this or that because I'm a JW - I always gave a real reason.

I believe that religion should not be mentioned or discussed during a job interview. Its illegal to ask a person about their religious affiliation. However some folks, especially JW's, feel a need to tell their potiental employer about their religion. I would never hire anyone who mentioned their religion regardless of how well they seem to fit a position because, to me, it shows a lack of professional discretion.

• Scully
    Scully

As Dr. House would say: "Everybody lies."

The things normal people (as opposed to pathological/sociopathic liars) are willing to lie about tells us what is important to us.

• pratt1
    pratt1

When I first started working, I would tell my employers on my interview that I was a dub, and that I could not work late on meeting nights and that I would need to take time off for District Assemblies.

As I got older I just stopped mentioning it on interviews but I would always tell my co-workers as a way to prepare them for my non particiption in holiday and birthgay celebrations.

Once I began to fade, I just never mentioned it, which worked okay, until someone who knew that I at one time was a dub would "out me"

Believe it or not, I have been inactive for over 10 years and I still get "outed" every now and then.

New York City is a big town but small in many ways.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I never lie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit