tell the board some embarrassing secret from where you live

by ninja 24 Replies latest jw friends

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

This guy died; I didn't know he lived in my city. PAUL W. TIBBETS JR.1915-2007 Pilot didn't regret A-bomb

Friday, November 2, 2007 3:34 AM By Mike Harden FOR THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Paul W. Tibbets Jr. flew the plane that dropped the atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. Tibbets, who moved to Columbus in 1970, died yesterday in his East Side home.

Paul W. Tibbets Jr. met Hiroshima survivor Sister Nobuko at a French TV show in 1981. The bombing of Hiroshima, and Nagasaki three days later, led to the Japanese surrender and saved thousands of American and Japanese lives, historians say.

Tibbets named his B-29 superfortress Enola Gay after his mother. Tibbets, who fell in love with flying as a boy, said, "I want my ashes scattered over water where I loved to fly."

Tibbets, center, with the Enola Gay's bombardier, Tomas W. Ferebee, left, and navigator Theodore J. Van Kirk.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Toronto's former mayor, Mel Lastman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Lastman

alt

W

• Gopher
    Gopher

My current hometown of Saint Paul, Minnesota was originally named Pig's Eye, the nickname of its first inhabitant Pierre Parrant. A Catholic priest named Lucien Galtier renamed it St. Paul.

Saint Paul is Minnesota's state capitol. How funny would it be if our capitol was still named Pig's Eye?

During the 1920's and 1930's Saint Paul was a safe haven for gangsters. They had a gentleman's agreement with the local police: You don't bother us, we won't bother you. The citizens were thus safe, and the gangsters spent a lot of their ill-earned cash here. Famous gangsters who chilled out in Saint Paul include: John Dillinger, "Ma" Barker, and Alvin "Creepy" Karpis.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

In the town I used to live, they shot many of the episodes of "Cops". You know "Bad boys, bad boys, what you gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?" Lakewood Washington. The town improved greatly in the 10 years we lived there, but now that we are gone, who knows what will happen to it? :) The larger town nearby, Tacoma, had the Tacoma Dome parking lot scandal (JW convention where the JWs illegally charged parking fees against their contract with the city). Also, years and years ago, Tacoma was pretty much run by a corrupt mafia type family situation. Pierce County is a rough place! The outer reaches of the county was the site of the most Meth labs in the country or the most arrests. Something like that. It was nortorious. We didn't live in that part of it, but. . .

We moved away 2 counties. I am sure we will soon discover all the skeletons in our new community closet, but so far, I love it, love it, love it!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Rosepetal, what you call lapping, we call 'cruising'. Its funny, but back in the early 80's it was pretty much outlawed everywhere, though it still happens on Ruston Way in Tacoma. In Renton and Puyallup, both sort of smallish cities/towns, they have "Loops" where they would go around in circles looking for trouble (near as I could figure). Me, I couldn't find trouble as a teenager when I went looking for it! Sigh.

Shelly

• BrentR
    BrentR

I live about ten miles from JZ Knight the leader of the Ramatha School of Enlightenment. Many of her followers hang around here and they pretty much own the city. They have some bizzare beliefs but they don't bug other people like another cult that we know of.

We also still have rare but consistant mullet sightings. They are not extinct yet but listed as endangered fortunately.

The adult mullet

A immature mullet hatchling spotted near the ocean during a summer migration.

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

In Kansas City, Missouri at a time when there were only two cars in the whole town, they had the first car wreck and hit EACH OTHER!

sacrebleu

• Uncertain
    Uncertain

No, I don't know what restaurant.

Mich. woman fined for stabbing husband with fork during restaurant argument

Published: Thursday, November 1, 2007 | 9:22 AM ET
    Canadian Press: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PLYMOUTH, Mich. - A woman accused of stabbing her husband with a fork during an argument at a restaurant has pleaded no contest to reduced charges of being drunk and disorderly.

Canton Township police and the Wayne County prosecutor's office had pressed a felonious assault case against Kelly Campbell-Baumgartner, despite her husband's objections.

But a county judge dismissed the felony charge, and Campbell-Baumgartner entered the plea Monday in exchange for the dismissal of a misdemeanour assault and battery charge.

The judge ordered her to pay $350 in fines.

William Baumgartner earlier denied he had been stabbed in the April incident and said he had no interest in pressing charges against his wife.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Hey, Gopher, you covered the classics, but we have so many modern embarrassments that shouldn't be overlooked!

I'll stick to nationally known embarrassments, so local disgraces like Amy Klobuchar, DFL Don Shelby, and Betty McCollum will not do.

Fortunately we have Al Franken AKA Stuart Smalley, who is lame enough, liberal enough, and doggone it, people can't STAND him!

Then there's Jesse the Mouth Ventura, Truly embarrassing indeed!

And let's not forget the truly disgraceful Garrison Keilor, and his horrific Scary Hobo Companion. Gross.

I hear that these guys are from here, and I just feel like denying that I am.

Pretty bad.

RD

• calico
    calico

There is a little town north of me that has this story about a man having sex with a cow and a bus load of kids got to see it! Don't know if the story is true!?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit