New meeting phone conference system?

by greenhornet 8 Replies latest jw friends

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I went over to a some older stay at home JWs. It was time for the meeting. They called a local phone #. They got a recording say welcome to the Kingdom hall meeting or something like that. They entered there pin number and it asked how many are listing. What's with this? Is been over 10 years since I been to any of there meetings. Have they gone hi tech? Is each pin # is recorded on some data base to make sure they call in? Will the data base record if you just hang up? What was really weird was they were in some kind of hold, during this waiting period they were listing to kingdom songs. Can anyone please give me some info on this? Thanks GH

• jah1914
    jah1914

Our hall has the same thing. I'm sure it at least records the phone# of the person that dials in. Most phone systems do, probably nothing sinister going on.

We've always had some type of telephone hook-up, but this was always each congregations responsibility(or congregations if many shared one hall) and was negotitated with the phone company directly. Now(at least in our area) all tele-conferencing is handled by some brothers company and each congregation must pay for the service. If a remember when I audited the congregation accounts it like $52 a month. Imagine the passive-income that brother is making off of the friends. I don't know how I feel about this, especially since you always here on the platform, "Be careful when entering into business dealings with the friends"

This is seeming like a trend. I read a letter from our RBC that was recommending that all halls in the region use this brother's company for lawn services. Just doesn't seem right.

• sir82
    sir82

Our KH uses this too. It's a company in Texas I think, no official relation to the WTBTS. You pay $X per line, and you can have many more people dial in to listen to the meeting.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

My old Hall uses the same outfit in Texas I actually was the one who approved it). It seemed like a lot of money at the time but I was on the way out and not caring so much anyway. Isaac

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Hmm, I see it was mentioned that each line was about $50, and Hollis Cong. just has two,as if they couldn't afford more, not quite enough for the elderly who couldn't make it to the meetings

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was at a Hall once, they had the phones tied in with the sound sytem nicely.

The listener could comment on the WT. All they had to do was tell the person
    who connected them that they would like to comment on para. 12 beforehand.
    A notation was made and passed to the conductor.

It reminded me of the days when they did the live comments from callers on
    Oprah and Phil Donahue. "Is the caller there?"

Some K.H.'s put forth great effort to keep their shut-ins tied in. Others avoid it
    saying they should find a way to get to the hall. No consistency.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

That sounds like the Sprint conference call thingie my old job used to use. When it was time for our conference call we could just call in from anywhere in the universe and enter the pin number for that particular conference call.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

The one from Texas is new. The standard system just used regular phone lines. The Hall could wire up to five lines to the sound system. So some Halls had/have less. It was a matter of local discretion. Isaac

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

yeah the hall i went to made the sound servant call people on the extra phone lines at meeting time. if they wanted to listen then he turned a machine on and put them on hold untill he got the next person on the other line............ couldnt comment tho........................ can count as many people as were listening. that cong did it for elderly who couldnt make the drive.............. others can do it just to boost attendance numbers.

hell cant you already make a contribution by email lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit