The Water Crisis...

by SWALKER 15 Replies latest social current

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

My parents live west of Atlanta and their well went dry about 3 months ago. They had to pay for a meter and go on county water. The water in their creek is almost gone too.

My aunt that lives south of Atlanta has had problems with low water in her well. It went dry temporarily but has come back.

The problem with Lake Lanier and releasing water is that the Corp of Engineers is releasing the full amount of water every day just as they would on a normal rain year. There is no common sense in understanding they are releasing much more than what is coming into the lake. You would think in periods of drought this severe there would be some adjustment in the amounts being released. It sounds like there has been a lot more rain down in Florida, south Alabama & south Georgia so their rain deficits is not nearly as much as up north.

I saw a star wars type movie many years ago about wars over water. It reminds me a bit of this situation.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

One thing that I noticed this summer was that caterpillars were dying on the trees that they were eating on. After a little research I found out that they get all their moisture from the leaves. Apparently, they just didn't get enough and shriveled up and died. I'm concerned for the trees as a lot of them didn't look very healthy. I'm keeping the bird bath filled with water and I've NEVER seen all the birds drinking like they are dying of thirst. There are a lot of horse and cattle owners around here that aren't able to get hay and they are talking about having to put them down. We did get 3 days of rain recently, but that's all we've had in months. This kind of weather is just unheard of in the South.

I think that drastic measures should be put in place now before we get in a position that's going to be too difficult to control. There are major housing developments going on all around me and I just think all that should be put on hold until this situation changes. What's going to be the point in building if the water runs out?

Swalker

• seawolf
    seawolf

Want to know what it will be like when Atlanta goes dry? Watch "Mad Max".

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    Want to know what it will be like when Atlanta goes dry? Watch "Mad Max".

I think that's why the governor looks so worried and sick!!! He knows what will happen!!! Swalker

• Robdar
    Robdar

It is a very scary situation.

• restrangled
    restrangled

It's strange my water bill here in Florida is about $15.00 .

When I visited my cousin in Denver her bill for water was close to $200.00....

I was shocked!

Perhaps we may all be facing bills of this size in the not so distant future!

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit