by SWALKER 15 Replies latest social current

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

If you think price/lack of oil is a major concern, just watch this video:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3786476

Swalker

• startingover
    startingover

We can live without all the luxuries we have today, including electricity. But we can't live without water. A few years ago we had a power outage in my city.. I didn't think it was a big deal, just an inconvenience. But after a few hours, because the electricity wasn't powering the water pumps, the faucets went dry. That was eye opening. I think this could be a threat that has snuck up on us and can be disastrous for our life as we know it.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    I think this could be a threat that has snuck up on us and can be disastrous for our life as we know it.

Startingover, I live in the South and I never thought about this happening! You're exactly right!

Swalker

• startingover
    startingover

Well, swalker, I guess no one else thinks this is an issue. I personally see it as the thing that will change our life as we know it, and within my lifetime.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

We had a buttload of rain in Texas this year, the lakes are full (or close to it), and the local cities still haven't lifted water restrictions. Smart move on their part I think.

I think we're going to need another depression to institute another massive public works program to repair and expand our water systems.

• marmot
    marmot

Nuts to you all, I live within walking distance of the St-Lawrence. :P

• restrangled
    restrangled

Its funny today's headlines were about our Governer making a deal with Georgia about water. I had know idea we received water from Georgia! We have been so rained on this summer I thought we didn't have a problem.

No dice, the shrimp and fish industry is apparently dependant upon water from northern states.....those going through a drought.

I avoid wasting water on my lawn, but do need to top up my pool occasionally.....I am always telling all in the house to turn off the water when brushing your teeth, I have a low water consumption washing machine, use high pressure shower heads which restrict water, and have a septic system. My dishwasher is always run only full and on the lowest wash possible. I never let the water run when I am rinsing, dishes and our town uses reclaimed water to water all public plantings and parks.

When we were in Israel many years ago (1980's) they had learned how to make salt water into fresh water......I guess the US has not done the same.

Water may get more expensive than gas, we better get on top of this problem.

r.

• marmot
    marmot

Uh, water IS more expensive than gas. Haven't you seen the price of bottled water lately?

• 5go
    5go

For those that say this no one saw this coming the global warming crowd did.

• 5go
    5go
    what water crisis, this damn place is flooded

That is deceiving floods are bad for water storage. Floods cause comtamination that forces reseviors to have to flush the contaminants down stream. If you get sudden floods with no rain behind them you might as well just of had no rain at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit