Tooth Fairy

by is there help out there 13 Replies latest jw friends

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I think its healthy for children to believe in the tooth fairy as well as all the other mythological creatures - yes its a lie but they have to believe the small lies so that they can believe the larger ones later in life like justice, mercy, democracy, those sorts of things.

(*inspired in part by Terry Pratchett).

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

No references to the pagan tooth fairy in our house. As a kid I had a difficult time relating to other children when they talked about mythological creatures like the tooth fairy and Santa. At least I had been told there was something called Santa and that he didn't exist; the tooth fairy had never been mentioned at all.

So, of course, never put teeth under the people. As I grew up I got to learn about this fascinating folktale as if reading a new book. A short book, but one that I found fascinating.

I like the idea of letting kids have "magic" in their lives, and maybe myths like the tooth fairy and Santa are a way to do that - but I've also seen some pretty ticked off youngsters when they learn the truth, and it's just sad when older kids still insist Santa exists. I mean, taken to the extreme, we had a friend in High School who still thought you could get pregnant from a toilet seat, for heaven's sake.

So, on the whole, I'd rathe inspire awe and mystery in a child at the sight of a mountain lake rather than having them buy into a myth like the tooth fairy, which really seems more for the parents' benefit than the children's.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Interesting. My mom did the 'tooth fairy' thing. But - it had started prior to her becoming a JW - so I think that she felt it was okay to continue the 'tradition' - so to speak.

I remember getting a whopping quarter under our pillow at night - if we left the tooth - in a light brown small envelope. (It always had to be put in that envelope. I think my mom was afraid the tooth would get lost otherwise - or it would be too dificult to snatch the tooth from under the pillow of a sleeping child if it was just loose.)

Anyway... I learned later on that there wasn't really a tooth fairy. My mom had kept all of the baby teeth of us kiddos in an old metal container.

I also think that playing the tooth fairy thing was just as much for my mom as it was for us kiddos.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Es
    Es

no we wernt allowed to celebrate the tooth fairy

es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit