The Bibles source, have you bothered to look for yourself?

by blueviceroy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

The Bible came to be as the result of scholars desire to compile a complete understanding of humankind at the time ( or so I have gathered in my search )

It's foundations lie in judaism , has anyone bothered looking at the actuall root documents and attempted to gain some insite there?

I have been searching for the roots of modern religion , it's always been a hobby but I'm begining to get a little more serious as I uncover more and more.

We have a rich and varied pool of documents that are left out of the Bible and should be perused with the same intent as the Bible is studied , finding some truth .

Accepting what our CULTure has assimilated for us as is , well , thats not in anyones best interests , not if you value truth and genuine understanding

I would encourage everyone to seek beyond your experience, beyond the confines of a conditioned existence, and look to the source.

Fearlessly search all religions and all philosophies , understanding is such a freedom, it is a blessing , it can't be found in a rigid mind set that fears the unknown .

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Hmmmm

I just reread my post and it sounds kind of preachy and weired

Sorry about that

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

" Fearlessly search all religions and all philosophies . . ."

I'll get back to you when I'm finished. I'm on the high end of middle age. Do you think I'll have time?

• Gopher
    Gopher

The "root documents" are nowhere near the original source documents of the Bible. The Bible as presented to us today is a collection decided on by some scholars way back in time, near the 2nd or 3rd century.

As an example, the earliest fragments of the 4 gospels are dated to be around 125 AD, over 9 decades after the dates attributed to Jesus' ministry.

Although there were many other documents found that can be dated back to the first century, no contemporaneous historical documents of Jesus Christ can be found. So the sources of this part of the Bible were enthusiastic followers, eager to "prove" that this revolutionary was a prophet and a great fulfiller of Hebrew prophecy. If this most vital part of the document now known as "The Bible" should be trusted, certainly historical documents dating back much closer to his life should have been found. In the 9 decades between 30 AD and 125 AD, a lot of mythology could have been built up. It becomes a matter of "belief" as to whether these documents reflected reality or not.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Good post.

The bible by itself dont cut it.

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Ok maybe all is too much , but I would think one from each culture of ,,oh,,, maybe , ,, the top 10 or so would probably give a fairly good cross section

, I've gone through Christianity and Buhddism a little Shinto and Tso and currently I'm looking into some ancient Jewish Kabbalah which was the precursor to most orthodox and some wierder occult stuff in the U.S.

The message is pretty much muddied in most with a lot of subjective experiences and mystisism , although the message of seeking the truth within and being a doer of kindness instead of harm is the same in each , the methodologies differ a great deal .

But it's nice to learn that some people in the world actually loved each other .

• Gopher
    Gopher

Blueviceroy,

The faithful and discreet slave published fine spiritual food on this matter, in the form of the book "What Has Religion Done For Mankind?". They manage to point out why every major religion is wrong, and there's is right!

I'm sure you'd be happy to have it for a modest donation.

• cellomould

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit