Jehovah invented the sword, according to Genesis.

by marmot 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• marmot
    marmot

So much for a loving God if you're a Bible apologist and take Genesis literally.

"After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a *flaming sword* flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life." Genesis 3:24 NIV

Adam hadn't even invented boxer shorts yet, and there weren't any other people around to want to hack at with bladed weapons (I'm surprised Adam even knew what metal was at that time) yet here we have God placing a flaming SWORD in the path to the tree of life.

http://www.gametab.com/images/ss/ps2/2681/box-l.jpg (can somebody embed this? I'm using firefox and can't figure out how)

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

a flameing sword................ ill take 2 please

• ush419
    ush419

Jehober initiated the arms race don't you think? He created the first weapon of war that was specifically designed to kill, slash, or decapitate someone. So who is to blame for weaponry, Man or God?

• oompa
    oompa

Dang observant, never thought about that. I dont think meturlgy was figured out for quite awhile after that...oompa.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Dang observant

Very!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Could it be maybe -- the writer of Genesis had to think of SOME way that Adam and Eve couldn't go back to their paradise Eden. So he placed two angels (who did nothing but guard that little spot for 2 millenia) and a twirling sword into the story.

I like watching movie period pieces for anachronisms -- things that weren't invented at the time being portrayed. This part of Genesis had an anachronism!

• bite me
    bite me

I don't know if we all see same ads here but funny thing is , in response to the person that mentioned that adam didn't even create boxer shorts yet"

There is an ad at the bottom of this of two men boxing. "box" being the key word I guess. So does this program take a keyword and make an add at the bottom?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Bite me,

Yes those are Google ads. Pretty funny, eh? I see those boxer guys too.

Clicking on the ads helps bring in a little cash flow to the website.

• karvel
    karvel

***w942/1p.31QuestionsFromReaders***After Adam and Eve sinned and were expelled from the garden, Jehovah prevented them from returning. How? Genesis 3:24 says: "He drove the man out and posted at the east of the garden of Eden the cherubs and the flaming blade of a sword that was turning itself continually to guard the way to the tree of life." Notice, "the flaming blade of a sword." Did God invent swords?

We need not conclude that our loving Creator was the first one to make what we know as swords. Adam and Eve saw turning in front of the angels something that was blazing. What exactly was it? By the time Moses wrote the book of Genesis, swords were well-known and used in warfare. (Genesis 31:26; 34:26; 48:22; Exodus 5:21; 17:13) So Moses’ words "the flaming blade of a sword" enabled his readers to visualize to a degree what existed at the entrance of Eden. The information known in Moses’ day contributed to the understanding of such matters. And the language Moses employed must have been accurate, for Jehovah had it included in the Bible.—2 Timothy 3:16.

• marmot
    marmot

Haha, nice! Thanks for posting that QFR.

It's funny how Moses was supposed to be using poetic forms to convey ideas when talking about a burning sword, but talking snakes are literal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit