No Attempt to Rebuild Burned Bridges by JWs' "New Light"?

by Carl_Hernz 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Carl_Hernz
    Carl_Hernz

The last three quarters of my time as a Witness (just a short 11 years compared to others) was torturous because after I had read the Bible over and over and over again, I was convinced that the only hope held out to me could be the heavenly hope. When discussing this with an elder who claimed to be of the anointed, he stated that such feelings ‘should just be ignored.’ After getting word of it, another elder came over to my home and yelled at me for over an hour on how I could have the audacity to even consider something like this. “Why wouldn’t Jehovah choose me over you? I’ve been in the truth longer than you and I’m an elder and you are not!”

I was 29 when I left the Witnesses. I understand now today why I felt the heavenly hope was the only logical choice for me—the majority of Christians have been feeling that way for centuries from their own reading of the Scriptures—but with the “new light” that has come from the Watchtower, this has left me thinking.

We recently had a discussion on Catholicism versus Jehovah’s Witnesses, and yesterday I saw a television program on the history of Halloween where Joan of Arc was brought up. Joan of Arc is now the patron saint of France. Those clerics who burned her to a stake as a witch surely goofed (it was criminal actually). There is also the incident of Galileo, and how John Paul II confessed that his religion had been wrong in how it treated him.

While the Watchtower may make once in a while make reference to some of its actions as being “regrettable,” with all this “new light” that is constantly coming out, why does the Watchtower never try to make up for all the “Joan of Arcs” they “burned at the stake”? I know of many cases where people thought the “generation” doctrine would not be fulfilled before the 20 th century was over, and they were labeled apostates. Others, like myself, felt they truly had a heavenly calling, and they were mistreated, “marked” as troublemakers, just out for attention, or worse psychologically disturbed.

Okay, let’s just say for a moment that the “new light” scenario is true-- the Witnesses belie the claim of such a phenomenon as happening to them because they never go back to try to repair what they’ve ruined. Bridges are often burned in their track and are left smoldering, and the Organization doesn’t even attempt to look over its shoulder to acknowledge them. If this “new light” is from a benevolent God, why aren’t the Witnesses’ “Joan of Arcs” being “sainted,” so to speak? Where are the public apologies to the “Galileos”?

It may be “new light” to them, but it seems to be worse than an “easy out” for the Watchtower. I’m trying to put my finger on it but don’t know exactly what it is that I am seeing in all of this. Outside of calling it “evil,” there is something else there too…maybe I’m mistaken but the lack of concern for the victims of their “new light” is, for lack of a better word, disgraceful earmark of theirs. Any comments and insight from your fine folks out there?

• BFD
    BFD

This is the best I can come up with...

They are arrogant sons of bitches.

BFD

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

lol............i was going to say the same thing, but put it a bit more politely............but, that's it, basically. Overly self-righteous, puffed up, prideful...........after all, they ARE the FAITHFUL SLAVE, are they not? Besides, I think they feel that if they don't acknowledge it, it doesn't exist...........sort of an "ostrich with head in sand" attitude.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

It is not about belief, it is about obedience.

• Gopher
    Gopher

When one lie doesn't fit their needs any more, they cover it over with another lie and call it "new light". It should be called "new lies".

The JW leaders are not honest enough to admit their mistakes. Just like some alcoholics won't admit that they are such, and continue in their dysfunction.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

The official stance is that since the folks that "had it right" the first time didn't humble themselves before the FDS, then they were indeed apostate or sinners in some other way. They marked themselves as apostate but not waiitng on Joehovah to put it right, and therefore have no standing to come back into the organization until they admit they were wrong - not about the point at hand, but wrong in rebelling against the FDS.

Truth is irrelevant; blind acceptance is all that's important.

That's what my dad was told, at least.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Beautiful answer by VoidEater. That was somewhat what I was going to say, but it was
    said better.

• Carl_Hernz
    Carl_Hernz

That's right...I almost forgot about that, how truth is always irrelevantly second the loyalty to the FDS!

Though this wasn't the reason I left the "highly illuminated" halls of the Watchtower, I wonder how many have? I also wonder if any of my old "enemies" who were so against me in the past now feel with this latest take on the heavenly calling. Funny thing, all the elders (and there were several) who opposed me above and beyond the call of duty (and some of their actions were most horrible), none of them were still serving as elder by the time I left. They had either been removed for some reason or were forced to step down to avoid the embarassment of being removed, even the "anointed" elder.

• M.J.
    M.J.

"since the folks that 'had it right' the first time didn't humble themselves before the FDS, then they were indeed apostate or sinners in some other way."

Or how about this.
    Could it be that the "FDS" was presumptuous enough to enforce a position on certain scriptures which, at final analysis, did not clearly support their enforced position? Now, rather than admit they were presumptuous in claiming to definitely know what was biblically unclear, they instead replace one enforced position position on an unclear subject with another enforced position, and claim "the light gets brighter"?

• Mary
    Mary
    While the Watchtower may make once in a while make reference to some of its actions as being “regrettable,” with all this “new light” that is constantly coming out, why does the Watchtower never try to make up for all the “Joan of Arcs” they “burned at the stake”?

Because they do not want to come right out and admit that they've been wrong. To do so might get more and more of the rank and file to question why they are continuously screwing up when Jehovah is supposedly working through them and ONLY them. Common sense says that if the Creator of the universe is using a certain group of men to save the world, He'd make sure that they got the information right the first time.

I actually have more respect for the Worldwide Church of God who publically acknowledged their mistakes, then apologized to their R&F and have become more reasonable and mainstream. They may have lost half their membership but in the years to come, their numbers will probably start increasing again.

So far, the WTS has never apologized or publically admitted that their errors have had disastrous consequences for the R&F and I wouldn't want to hang from a rope waiting for that to happen. In essence, the Governing Body members are like bullies: They get jumpy and angry whenever someone questions their position as rulers of the school yard and they lash back. Truly dispicable men.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit