Opposite doctrines taught at the same time:

by whyizit 25 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

Insight On The Scriptures Volume 1: Aaaron-Jehoshua (copyright 1988 WTS)

"Jesus indicated that people of Sodom and Gomorrah would experience a resurrection to stand for judgement."

Compared to:

Revelation Its Grand Climax At Hand! 1988 WTS

"In the box titled "Epistle to Sodom and Gomorrah": "Jude 7 states that those Sodomites underwent "the judicial punishment of everlasting fire." meaning eternal destruction.

This was brought to my attention recently and I just wondered if there are any threads or websites that you can refer me to that have similar comparisons of opposite doctrines being taught at the exact same time by the WTS? Especially in recent years?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I had a post quite a while ago that showed that the Society taught two contradictory beliefs about the fall of Babylon the Great (i.e. it happened in 1918-1919, it will happen in the future) at the same time. See if you can find it in the search utility. No wonder I was so confused about this issue while I was still in.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

They teach that we are saved by God's 'undeserved kindness" while at the same time teaching you must do the works they prescribe for you as much as you can and hope to be found worthy of life by Jehovah on judgment day.

• Gopher
    Gopher

They teach Jehovah is the judge of mankind. But in the Kingdom, Jesus does the judging.

Actually they seem to interchange the activities of Jehovah and Jesus quite a bit, and when called on it they say "well Jesus is God's representative to mankind, therefore Jehovah is doing it THROUGH him."

Anybody want a pretzel?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Right before Armageddon there will be 'peace and security'

but...

Right before Armageddon the world will be in the worst state it has ever been in

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Another one fairly personal to me is "Who is The 'Alpha and The Omega' ?"

It is worth noting that these quotes are from the same year and are only months apart !

Awake! 1978 August 22 p.28 Who Is "the Alpha and the Omega"?

Finally, at Revelation 22:12, 13, we read: "Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me, to render to each one as his work is. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end." This quotation appears among others that are ascribed to an angel and to Jesus Christ. Before these words are quoted in the book of Revelation, the angel who was instrumental in presenting the revelation to the apostle John spoke. (Rev. 22:8, 9) Then, after the quotation that begins with Revelation 22:12 and ends with the words of verse 15, we find the statement: "I, Jesus, sent my angel." (Rev. 22:16) Since the context does not necessitate our attributing the words of Revelation 22:12, 13 either to the angel or to Jesus, they could have originated with another speaker. Consistent with the rest of the book of Revelation, "the Alpha and the Omega" must be the Almighty God. He is the One who comes in the capacity of a judge to reward and to punish individuals according to their works.

[Emphasis Added]

Watchtower 1978 October 1 p.15 "Keep on the Watch"

6 Also, in his final revelation concerning "the things that must shortly take place," Jesus again stresses the suddenness with which he comes:

"I am coming to you quickly . . . I am coming quickly. Keep on holding fast what you have."-Rev. 2:16; 3:11.

"Look! I am coming quickly. . . . Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me. . . . Yes; I am coming quickly." (Rev. 22:7,12, 20)

In response to these last expressions of our Master, surely each one of us joins with the apostle John in saying: "Amen! Come, Lord Jesus."

[Emphasis Added]

Taken from http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/revelation_22_12.html

I'll post some scans in the next couple of hours... unless Atlantis beats me to it

• kifoy
    kifoy

Funny. That's a new one.

So what do we call this? It's not "new light/old light" or "flip-flopping".
    (If I remember correctly, there has been some flip-flopping on whether or not the Sodom and Gomorra people will be resurrected or not, right?)

Can the light be on and off at the same time?

kifoy

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    Can the light be on and off at the same time?

kifoy

Either they are in total darkness.... or else the lights are on, but no one's home

With regard to the men of Sodom, I'm not sure if they ever taught opposites at the same time (I'd need to check the dates of some of the publications), but here are the changes :

The Resurrection of The Sodomites

The men of Sodom WILL be resurrected WT 7/1879 p8

The men of Sodom

WILL NOT be resurrected WT 6/1/1952 p338

The men of Sodom

WILL be resurrected WT 8/1/1965 p479

The men of Sodom

WILL NOT be resurrected WT 6/1/1988 p31

The men of Sodom

WILL be resurrected Live Forever - early edition p179

The men of Sodom

WILL NOT be resurrected Live Forever - later edition p179

The men of Sodom

WILL be resurrected Insight Vol 2 p985

The men of Sodom

WILL NOT be resurrected Revelation Book p273
  • dawg
    dawg

Here's what happened. God's active spirit went out and got hammered, thus resulting in conflicting messages to the slave.

• kifoy
    kifoy
    Either they are in total darkness.... or else the lights are on, but no one's home

lol

Acording to whyizit both the Insight books and the Revelation book were published in 1988.
    Maybe they wrote the Sodom section in the Insight book some years earlier when the light was on, and forgot to turn it off again before publishing?

I'm thinking that it takes a long time to finish a work like the Insight books, and if they on top of that have to keep record of the lightbulb changing in other publications during the process...

kifoy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit