Comments You Will Not Hear at the WT Study (10/29 PRACTICE MERCY)

by WT Comments 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

I helped hubby with this study, so I took notes to comment here. You've caught most of what I noted. To summarize, a good Jehovah's Witness shows mercy by giving money to the society, provide rides to fellow congregation members (only when necessary), and say nice things to people. This is so pathetic, so much weaker than the bible admonitions. Based on what they are taught here, would you call on your Witness relatives in time of disaster? Will they run to the hospital to hold your hand, bring over casseroles in your time of grief, help clean out your flooded basement?

Blondie notes that the activities that are highlighted likely point to problems they are having in with the congregations. Based on that assumption, the society is a "closefisted" bunch. There's also apparently problems with gossip, and favoring the rich. I would suggest that as the leader is, so go the followers. The head office is close-fisted, judgemental, and favors some over others. Why would they expect anything different from the congregations?

I noted also that although the rich are not to be treated any different than any man, that elders are deserving of double honor (Para 8). Keep that in mind, rich people.

I would like to point out a Witness doctrine that has no basis in scripture; their claim that spiritual helps is superior to material. Note that when they bring this doctrine up, no scriptures are quoted. Over and over in the bible there are stories of acts of material mercy. These kindnesses are God in action. Consider the brief but dazzling disciple, Stephen (Acts 6), and Dorcas (Acts 9). Would Stephen or Dorcas have a role in the modern congregation?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Also note the photo selected. There's donations and quick builds. Where are the pictures of Jehovah's Witnesses helping out in the practical ways I listed before? Maybe because such works detract from the "preaching work".

I say, preaching without good works preceding, is dead.

• ninja
    ninja

wt comments....thanks for all the hard work....interesting that samaritans were "apostates"...cheers

• blondie
    blondie

They know the words but do not practice them. Like the Pharisees when Jesus said to listen to what they say but not to do what they did.

Can you imagine an elder preparing a meal for a sick person, actually going over and assisting an elderly one with chores, or providing transportation to the meetings. Few do anything else by delegate it to the rank and file to earn points to get privileges.

Who decides who is "deserving" as well. Is it determined by how much money you have, how much time is on your slip, who you know?

It is one thing to help in disasters, but what about the day to day problems that people in the congregation face.

Do jws show favoritism? Wait until the next CO visit and see how many run up to talk to them and watch next week to see how friendly these same people are to the ones that come every week or at least try to?

Is there a problem with gossip in jw congregations? Gossip is the entertainment of the bored and unhappy in the congregations. Confidentiality is a joke, elders tell each other everything and most tell their wives who tell ONLY their best friend.

Do jws forgive? I remember one brother who had been df'd and reinstated 20 years ago. Yet today when talking about him that point is always brought up.

Elder meetings are nitpicking sessions and opportunities to JUDGE people in the congregation and with no mercy which hides under the term "freeness of speech."

The WTS gives jws an out "of course, circumstances would dictate what we can do and how much." If it is a choice between door to door and fixing the roof of an older sister's house, which would be considered more important?

Are jws today have a zealous share, do they read the magazines and prepare interesting presentations, do they go out when people are most likely to be home, do they do more than the minimum 1 hour, when out do they waste time, take long breaks, make return visits on people who are never home, spend 2 hours with 5 people using 1 phone in phone witnessing?

They should remember thant the mercy they receive is proportionate to the mercy they give out.

Blondie

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I posted this regarding the Samaritans on another DB several months ago:

Notice this information from the book entitled, “From the Maccabees to the Mishnah,” by Shaye J.D. Cohen: “The history of the group begins in the last part of the fourth century B.C.E. After the conquest of the country by Alexander the Great in 334, B.C.E, the city of Samaria rebelled against Macedonian rule. In retaliation, the city was destroyed, cleared of its former inhabitants, and resettled with pagans. Archaeological evidence suggests that the former inhabitants of Samaria fled to Shechem, where they established themselves. In all likelihood the temple on Mount Gerizim was now built to serve the new community. The erection of the temple, however, did not signal a break with the Jews of Judea who venerated the temple in Jerusalem. There was tension, to be sure, between the two communities, but no “schism.” The alphabet used by the Samaritans and the text form of their Torah are those which were widespread in Judea in the second century B.C.E. The decrees of Epiphanies applied to the Samaritans as well as to the Judeans, a fact which confirms that both groups were Jews in the eyes of the state. Unlike the Jews of Judea, however, the Samaritans accepted the king’s program and dedicated their temple to Zeus. Perhaps in revenge for this act, John Hyrcanus destroyed the Gerizim temple in 129 B.C.E. and the city of Shecem in 109 B.C.E. This caused undying tension between the communities. The Samaritans created their own canon (which included only the Torah), developed rituals and practices that in may areas agreed, and in many areas disagreed, with those of their fellow Jews, and elaborated their own eschatology (including the restorations of their temple on Mount Gerazim.)”

Josephus says the Samaritans were descendants of the ten tribes of the northern kingdom, but he elsewhere says they descended from the Cutheans (2 Kings 17). He has yet another story about the brother of the High Priest (Alexander’s time), who married the daughter of the Samaritan governor, Sanballat, and was subsequently expelled from Jerusalem. Supposedly, he fled to Samaria, where is new father-in-law is supposed to have given him a temple of his own.

Regardless of which account is correct, the Jews viewed the Samaritans as raging apostates because of the Zeus/temple incident. And they had the temple and its long and distinguished history on their side to point to their being “God’s true Israel.”

Conversely, the Samaritans viewed the Jews as apostates, sought to delegitimize the Jerusalemite priesthood and viewed themselves as the “true Israel.”

Both groups had essentially the same holy book, many of the same rituals, and both the Jews and the Samaritans were eagerly anticipating the ‘restoration’ of true worship. So, what was their big difference? The Jews felt true worship would be restored in Jerusalem, and the Samaritans felt it would be on Mount Gerazim (as they say—location, location, location).

After telling this parable, Jesus asked the Jewish man, which one was the “neighbor?” The Jewish man’s religious hatred and arrogance ran so deeply that he couldn’t bring himself even to say the word “Samaritan,” so he couched his response in the ‘the one who did good.’

This historical backdrop really enhanced my appreciation of this parable. Both of these groups thought they had the true and correct understanding of spiritual issues, and this belief led them to discredit and demean the other group’s worship. But, the doctrinal specifics of how they worshipped did not matter to Jesus; he looked only at their hearts.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Q14) According to Matthew 7:1-4, how may we practice mercy daily?

14) Showing still another way to display mercy, Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount: "Stop judging that you may not be judged; for with what judgment you are judging, you will be judged . . . Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother's eye, but do not consider the rafter in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, `Allow me to extract the straw from your eye'; when, look! a rafter is in your own eye?" (Matthew 7:1-4) Therefore, we can practice mercy daily by putting up with the weaknesses of others without being judgmental or overly critical.

The writer must be talking about another religion than the WTS. Where is there ''MERCY'' from the WTS? They only use a sledge hammer on their members. They take away privilages, judge your spirituality on how many hours you put in service,and avoid members who are "inactive".

They don't have any shelters,soup kitchens,don't have any drives for people in financial distress,and only want $$$$ for the building of new Kingdumb Halls.

This whole article will never apply to the WTS. TALK ABOUT SAYING ONE THING AND DOING ANOTHER!

Thank you WT COMMENTS for your hard work!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Just to clarify, most congs will study this article on November 4th.

It seemed a boring article at first, but examination gives some food for thought

'Wt Comments' made familiar appeal "post a comment, even if brief." Sounds just like the WT Overseer requesting brief comments! - I will try , but ;-

p2]" Mercy is not hindered by national, religious, or cultural barriers." ...So no religious difference should hinder the showing of mercy? Compare that with what comes later.

p3] Let us, then, first consider how we can abound in deeds of mercy toward those related to us in the faith." - does that relegate Paul's first sentence about "Good toward ALL?"

p9} This would puzzle me if I were still active..

"Does being impartial mean that we should never show special consideration to anyone? Hardly. Concerning his fellow worker Epaphroditus, the apostle Paul wrote to Christians in Philippi: "Keep holding men of that sort dear." Why? "Because on account of the Lord's work he came quite near to death, exposing his soul to danger, that he might fully make up for your not being here to render private service to me." (Philippians 2:25, 29, 30) The faithful service rendered by Epaphroditus deserved recognition. Moreover, at 1 Timothy 5:17, we read: "Let the older men who preside in a fine way be reckoned worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching." Good spiritual qualities also merit acknowledgment. Showing such consideration is not favoritism.

What is the difference between consideration and favouritism? You would favour someone by showing special consideration. Notice that the elders are mentioned here ....It is recorded that Jesus had a special affinity with John, but no record that he showed favourite consideration.

Notice the change of tone when it talks about the outside world.

p15] "We are not insensitive to the needs of those in the world"................and.........."When providing material help to others, we want to be careful that a deed that seems good does not promote laziness. (Proverbs 20:1, 4; 2 Thessalonians 3:10-12) Hence, a true act of mercy is a response that combines tender feelings of compassion or sympathy with sound reasoning"

Sound reasoning? laziness? such comments are food to the anal retentive ones who close their wallets to charities and those in need. Such ones use excuses about the admin costs of charities and assume that people would waste what they receive . These ones would rather salve their conscience by going out in service and giving "spiritual food" -"No other act of mercy is as important "And it costs the publisher nothing and gives him hours on his report ..

They comfort themselves by backslapping in p18 by talking of a world today " where harshness, selfishness, and a lack of concern about the suffering and problems of others are the norm" They are merciful. Has that been your experience?

Sorry my comment is not brief brother, I hope that you will not ignore my hand next week....

• Robert222
    Robert222

I enjoy reading these posts each week. I have learned more from WT Comments and Blondie, plus the other excellent posts than I have in all the yrs wasted inside a KH!! Thank you. Again, the WT society itself never ceases to infuriate me. They are the most self centered, lazy, self righteous group of people in the entire world!

• lrkr
    lrkr

Ok I had an ah-ha moment regarding the Good Samaritan parable. Like many of you have said- it was all about religious intolerance. That's why specific emphasis was placed on the profession/religious affiliatation of the questioner (teacher of the moasic law), and the passers-by (priest, levite, samaritan).

But no religion will teach it that way. It doesn't help anyones cause to be the "one and only truth". The WT alluded to it- said its about cultural, religious, and national differenes- but really, its about religious differences and tolerance.

Then the article makes a quick fade to the scripture about "working what is good mainly to those related in the faith" (If you read the context- this is about shepherding others in the fold- not about mercy, compassion or kindness) and a parting shot to be very careful when showing mercy to people not in the congregation.

What a way to twist a very important set of concepts!!

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Here is some excellent information I found on early Christians and charity. They were so well know for their acts of charity, satirist made fun of them because of it. JWs today in no way resemble the early Christians in their acts of mercy and giving.

http://www.christiancadre.org/member_contrib/cp_charity.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit