how is the WT a "literature selling scam"?

by inkling 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Even though I agree 100% with virtually everything Sirona says, the rank and file will say, "There
    goes that wild apostate claiming nonsense again." Again, I will taper it for them.

I got interrogated about it and was told that the cost of the [Braille] book was too high to just "give out" and that the person had to be 100% interested and 100% willing to give a donation. They don't want blind people being JWs - problems getting them to do your sales for you.

There are many congregations where it would never be asked. A Bible is a Bible, so "...get our warped
    NWT into their hands so we can start working on converting them. " And actually, in the U.S., Braille
    material is shipped postal for free (or virtually free) so it could be mailed without that being a factor.

Here's how the congregation elder trained properly might say this:
    "Who are you ordering a Braille Bible for? Have you managed to start a study with them?
    Are you sure they are interested in the truth and not just wanting a free Bible?"

We were carefully schooled to say "there is no charge, but we accept donations"......ALWAYS always mention a donation.

It's the publishers who are getting weak in this area. It shows the force of the WT cult can only go
    so far. The vast majority of publishers who are not pioneers virtually never ask for the donations, but
    donate themselves. Many pioneers remember, but still don't always ask. I think our wires were
    crossed by our programming. We were programmed to "place" literature, get a decent number of
    "placements" on our field service report. We feel that asking for donations will reduce our "placements."
    We don't "place" much anyway, so we just can't ask.

Donations from the field are down. Many people don't think twice about donating a dollar for a decent
    Bible. Imagine how much they think they should donate for a paperback Bible. The magazines are
    viewed as thick flyers that should be free.

I'd be prepared to bet that they get more donations for the literature than they did before.

I don't disagree quickly with that, but I don't quite see it that way. For awhile, they probably did
    get more instead of less. That's their problem- they thought this would continue. Well, times are
    rough. I bet they get more in poor nations than they do in the U.S. or Britain from the average
    householder. Poor people will think they are able to donate a decent amount and feel good about
    doing so. I stand by my thoughts that they still come out ahead, but I bet the margin is reducing.

• Gill
    Gill

The 'above Case' was told to me 2 years ago by my parents and I can give the names of the congs if you PM me!

But, the fact is that the WT will NOT send out literature to congregations until their literature bill is cleared! It's a business and NOT a charity! The publishers PAY for the literature one way or another even if they have to scrounge money off others to do it and don't personally donate at the counter. This is what I can't understand about dubbies. My father used to be literature servant and it was LAW that the literature had to be paid for no matter what else happened! The Society might wait one or maybe push comes to shove a couple of months but if a cong is NOT paying up then NO literature!

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Hi,

The whole rotten edifice has been built up on sales of Watchtower publications.We were told to push for magazine subscriptions in the early sixties. We were told not to give the product away because the buyer would appreciate them more if there was a monetary value to the books etc.Of course we were not selling we were placing which is the same objective.

Edmond.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

And even though the trashy-mag publications have decreased, I can't imagine the dub donations will...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here is how the scam is supposed to work:

You pick up a piece of litter-ature. The price was a dollar. Before the "complete donation", you would pay them $1 for the litter-ature, and then place it and charge $1 for it. The householder pays $1, which you get to keep. The Watchtower Society made a total of $1 on that piece of litter-ature.

Now, you still pay $1 on picking up the litter-ature. Then, you place it in the field. Now, instead of charging $1, you mention that you are accepting voluntary donations. The hopes are that the householder would donate much more. Supposing they donate $1. Instead of keeping that $1 to reimburse you for the $1 you paid for the litter-ature, you have to give THAT $1 to the Society. This $1, plus the $1 you gave them upon receiving the litter-ature, adds up to $2. And they had the audacity to tell us that we were not paying for it twice!

Now, sometimes the householder would give much more than $1 for that piece of litter-ature. I have heard of people that gave more than $5 for it. And they really want the publishers to give as much as possible, not just $1, for the litter-ature when they pick it up. In theory, they could scam people into giving as much as $6 or 7 (the cost of a comparable-sized worldly book) plus get the householders to give as much as $10 and even more. When that happens, the Watchtower Society gets richer. That is not a good thing.

The good news is that it is starting to break down. People cannot be conned into thinking that this isn't double paying when it is blatantly obvious that it is. New members are seeing through it. So, when they pick up the litter-ature, they no longer donate anything except what they got at the doors. Often, they don't bother asking the householder to donate for the litter-ature. I started playing that game. In fact, I rarely if ever donated anything, and it was just whatever the householder gave me (without my hounding them, either). So, they start charging the congregations via "voluntary donations to the Watchtower Society" when litter-ature orders start exceeding expected receipts.

Hopefully, people will see the true value of the litter-ature. When that happens, they will start giving what it actually is worth (zero). They will stop taking it, or take it and shred it. The crapts that get shoved in the doors will end up in the shredder, producing zero revenue. And, when people stop donating, the hounders will get hounded by the hounder-hounder to fill in via the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. More will step down, and the supply of money will dry up. Hopefully the real estate values of the Watchtower holdings start heading south sharply, so they can take a bath there. And, once people see it as a value destroying scam, they will totally stop donating and they will go belly up.

• oompa
    oompa

Wiz:Now, you still pay $1 on picking up the litter-ature..........................

Wiz where do you hail from? My son does lit and there is not even a money box back there anymore. We do not charge or take money at the hall when handing out litter. What's up....we need to get some JWD unity here on this subject....As I understand it:

1. WT does not charge or have any prices for literature for anyone.

2. I thought I had a two, but guess not................oompa

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Oompa, you are correct with #1. WT does not charge or have any prices for literature for anyone.

If you are saying that our saying terms like "sell" or "profits" or the like, we are giving JW's reason
    to dismiss us, maybe that's true. We should guard how we say this stuff if we were trying to
    reach a JW. This forum is largely made of people who understand, though. No need to be so
    guarded here.

Since you are inactive, I would love for you to do the following and see what happens:

1. Go to the Kingdom Hall after the meeting (I wouldn't ask you to attend the session).
    2. Give a long verbal list of literature that you want to the guy behind the counter. Make it a list
    of things they probably have on hand, so they don't have a reason to say NO.
    Heres a good list: NWT, What Does the Bible Teach?, Revelation- Grand Climax, Current
    magazines, Theocratic Ministry School Textbook, My Book of Bible Stories, Songbook,
    the release about Following Christ at the 2007 DC, any other books you see available such as
    Draw Close to Jehovah, Isaiah's Prophecy Vol. 1 and 2, Learn From the Great Teacher,
    Worship the Only True God.
    3. Also order a WT Library CD-ROM, saying your wife could pick it up for you when it arrives.

When they ask why you are ordering such, explain that you need to have a theocratic library
    and start studying to "make the truth your own." When they want to know more, say little.
    Just say, "Are there other books on hand that I can get now?" See what they give you.
    See what they say. See if they expect something of you, even though there is no set price
    on the literature.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    Now, you still pay $1 on picking up the litter-ature..........................

Actually, I don't pay anything. (In fact, it has been a few years since I picked up any litter-ature).

The prices were comparisons to what they charged just before going to the complete donation arrangement. Many people continued paying the same amount, or more, than under the old set-price arrangement. And there was a direct comment from the Watchtower Society that told us not to think of it as paying twice (if anyone actually followed the arrangement, they would have, in fact, been paying twice since they paid on picking it up and again after placement).

Those who donated less, or nothing, upon picking up the litter-ature actually went against the intended arrangements. There has been many a hounding talk about that, telling people that they need to start donating more. Never was a set price mentioned, both to avoid taxes and to avoid putting a ceiling on the donations. In fact, I have heard of people getting $10 for a set of magazines and showcasing it at the boasting session. And I have heard of someone donating $5 for a crapt and showcasing that. To me, it was all a waste.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Remember, individual witnesses have to pay for the literature. If and when they receive a contribution they must turn it over to the WWW as well. This was emphasized when they came up with the change for tax purposes.

• oompa
    oompa
    YEA! OTWO:

Oompa, you are correct with #1. WT does not charge or have any prices for literature for anyone.

If you are saying that our saying terms like "sell" or "profits" or the like, we are giving JW's reason
    to dismiss us, maybe that's true. We should guard how we say this stuff if we were trying to
    reach a JW.

Thanks man, now you see why I could not stay in. I like facts, accuracy, and a little truth! There are lots of lurker here, so lets use correct terms and accurate presentation of the facts. The last timeI did get litter, and every time, it's just "here you go bro" and I do not think there are any instructions the the litter servants to try and get you to donate........oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit