Is that a pumpkin in your window, brother?

by Fatfreek 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

The circuit overseer, Henry Judson, came up to me during the circuit assembly.

"Brother Miller, it's been reported that your family may have a pumpkin in your window." He waited for an answer although he never asked a question.

Being a 15 year-old gung-ho newbie, I immediately answered to his satisfaction. No, that's not our window, it's the window of the tenants in the front apartment who have the Halloween decoration. We live in the back one.

When I told my mom and dad about that question when we got home I could sense that bro CO had tread on sacred ground. He was directing a question to me, this snotty-nose 15 year-old -- not to where it belonged (if it had any business belonging) -- the heads of the household. I sensed that they were quite irritated, but got over it -- probably so their young charge (me) didn't get stumbled.

Yes, this was some 52 years ago and I wonder if gestapo-like tactics are still in operation today?

Len Miller

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    I wonder if gestapo-like tactics are still in operation today? Len Miller

You bet!

Happy Halloween.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

spawns a good idea tho.................... lets start a movement that makes jackolanterns and puts them on the doorsteps of elders on halloween night next to a basket of cheap as hell crappy candy and slide a couple watctowers in the basket lol....................... imagine what they would think the next day or if someone was pissed enough to trick their house or mad enough to ring the door bell and bitch at them for the crap they pulling with the nasty candy................... or when the basket went empty lol

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

To this day I still wonder why the JW youths don't go out in field service on Haloween night. It's the one night of the year you can pretty much count on everybody answering the door.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

They are still in operation today.

I had a CO's wife approach my daughter after a meeting once (she was 10 at the time) and tell her to remove her earings because they were too "worldy" looking and she was stumbling others by wearing them.

Mind you, her dad and I were both at the same meeting and nothing was said to us about it.

Anyway, when my daughter told me, I instantly went over and gave that lady a piece of my mind and let her know who gave my daughter the earings in the first place. You see, the earings were given to her by an 80 year old sister who cleaned out her jewlery box. And yes, they were OLD lady earings! So much so that I told my daughter she did not have to wear them if she didn't want to but she decided to wear them to the hall so the elderly sister would feel good about her gift.

I said to the CO's wife - so you think sister so and so wears "worldly" jewlery? Then maybe you should have a talk with her and not my 10 year old! Lilly

• freyd
    freyd

Being a Christian is like being a pumpkin. God lifts you up, takes you in, and washes all the dirt off of you. He opens you up, touches you deep inside and scoops out all the yucky stuff-- including the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc. Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside you to shine for all the world to see. This was passed on to me from another pumpkin. Now, it is your turn to pass it to a pumpkin. I liked this enough to send it to all the pumpkins in my patch. Happy Fall!

• blondie
    blondie

I have 2 pumpkins but no jackolanterns. It's just a autumn decoration like a fall leaf wreath on the door. Never been questioned. I can hardly wait for winter when I put out the snowmen decorations....no santas though.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

LovelyLil: Yup -- your experience was right on par with mine. And if your experience happened in Massachusetts like mine (New Bedford) perhaps there's something in the water.

Blondie: it's good that you're feeling good enough to do all that. Say hello to the "rev" for me. I won't ever forget his cheese generosity.

Len

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Yep, my experience happened in Hingham MA. Lilly

• FatFreek 2005

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit