587/607 Question...

by deaconbluez 129 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Ann ---

There is yet another problem with Furuli's revised year 588 starting in May.

Line 16 of VAT 4956 records the summer solstice on Month III, day 9 (which is Julian date June 28/29).

However, in Furuli's revised year 588, Month III, day 9 is July 8/9 ---- which was not the date of the solstice.

Marjorie

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Furuli takes the lunar eclipse in Month III(printed in red, below) as the starting point for his revisions to year 588/587 BCE. Counting backwards, he arrives at a date in May for the Babylonian New Year.

Considering that the lunar data in Month III is absolutely vital to his case, it is interesting to note that he omits some of the the data from the Month III entries in his calculations.

I have highlighted the parts he skipped in yellow.

VAT 4956, obverse, lines 12 - 18

12 Month III, (the 1st of which was identical with) the 30th (of the preceding month), the moon became visible behind Cancer; it was thick; sunset to moonset: 20°; the north wind blew. At that time, Mars and Mercury were 4 cubits in front of a ?[Leonis….]

13 Mercury passed below Mars to the East; Jupiter was above a ?Scorpii; Venus was in the west opposite ? ?Leonis [….]

14 1 cubit. Night of the 5th, beginning of the night, the moon passed towards the east 1 cubit (above, below) the bright star at the end of the Lion’s foot. Night of the 6th, beginning of the night, [….]

15 it was low. Night of the 8th, first part of the night, the moon stood 2 ½ cubits below ß Librae. Night of the 9th, first part of the night, the moon [stood] 1 cubit in front of [….]

16 passed towards the east. The 9th, solstice. Night of the 10th, first part of the night, the moon was balanced 3 ½ cubits above a Scorpii. The 12th, Mars was 2/3 cubits above [ a Leonis….]

17 [….] The 15th, one god was seen with the other; sunrise to moonset: 7°30’. A lunar eclipse which was omitted [….]

18 [ …. the moon was be]low the bright star at the end of the [Lion’s] foot

In Furuli's revised year 588, Month III, day 9 is July 8/9 ---- which was not the date of the solstice.

EDITED TO ADD - I don't know why, but when I pasted in the lines from the translation, question marks were inserted in the place of some of the Greek letters in the star names. The correct form can be seen in the jpeg file I attached last night.

Marjorie

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Ok, I think I have fixed the formatting error. Let me see if the Greek letters in the star names display properly now.

Edited - nope, it didn't work. What's weird is that the theta displays ok, but the alpha and beta get changed to question marks. And I even tried saving it in plaintext and running it through Notepad. Oh, well.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

There is yet another problem with Furuli's revised year 588 starting in May.

Line 16 of VAT 4956 records the summer solstice on Month III, day 9 (which is Julian date June 28/29).

However, in Furuli's revised year 588, Month III, day 9 is July 8/9 ---- which was not the date of the solstice.

Absolutely! Neither an April nor a May new year would put the solstice on the 9th of month 3 in 588. However, this is to do with the sun's position and Furuli specifically associates the lunar positions with 588/7, allowing that the planetary positions (and also presumably the sun's positions) could belong to 568/7. But it is interesting that he completely passes by this important piece of data too.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Alleymom,

I don't recall if I ever thanked you for your K.I.S.S. chart or not, but THANK YOU!!!!! It really helped me when I was doing research on the subject

of 607 vs 586/587.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Alleymom....This site does not support Unicode or the Symbol font, unfortunately. The best we can doI think is type [alpha], [beta], etc. in brackets...

• VM44
    VM44

Isn't there a greek font available?

• VM44
    VM44

Greek Alphabet Test

CAPITAL GREEK LETTERS:

ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘ ΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡ ΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ

lower case Greek letters:

αβγδεζηθ ικλμνξοπρ στυφχψω

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

How were you able to get those.....did you do it via character codes?

Let's see if I can copy and paste that text and see if the Greek letters remain:

aß?de???
    ???µ???p?
    st?f???

Edit: Fixed it, see below.

Testing more characters here: ;ʤώήήΨΣύΜϖйлждҨԺԶרהפچڈژڦڥڤझजऋऊइईਗਘਚ

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here we go, here's the info on how to do it (courtesy of VM44):

You type in the HTML formatting window an ampersand + name of the Greek letter (captitalize the name if you want a capital letter) + semicolon...

Hence:

αβγδεζη&theta ;
    & iota;κλμνξοπρ
    & sigma;τυφχψ&omega ;

becomes:

αβγδεζηθ ικλμνξοπρ στυφχψω

More here: http://people.msoe.edu/~tritt/greekRevisited.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit