Were any gadgets/new technology condemned in your congregation?

by badboy 37 Replies latest jw friends

• lola28
    lola28

I'm not much of a gadget girl but I do love to read, I have a huge collection of books and I was told when I was 15/16 that maybe I shouldn't read too much. I remember thinking 'hu? I like to read" they quoted some scripture and told me my time would be better spent reading the publications. I continued to buy books and read just as I had before but now I actually felt guilty for doing so.

Lola

• M.J.
    M.J.

"they quoted some scripture"

Don't tell me...

(Ecclesiastes 12:12) As regards anything besides these, my son, take a warning: To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion [to them] is wearisome to the flesh.

Ironically there seems to be no end to WT books either.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

They should at least have the guts to go amish and not be hypocrites. My mother always tried to excite me by saying how the society was on the cutting edge of technology with their printing etc...

• lola28
    lola28

Yup that was it.

Lola

• Open mind
    Open mind

I saw a motorized Tibetan prayer wheel at a store once.

Didn't buy it.

Kinda figured the elders wouldn't approve.

Open Mind

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Phew! That's better. Thanks Crumpet ;)

Got visited by elder just before I was baptized in '83. He was concerned that I was succumbing to materialism because I'd just bought a turntable, amp and speakers on H.P.!

• bennyk
    bennyk
    They should at least have the guts to go amish and not be hypocrites.

This would not have worked in at least one of my former congregations -- I took a lot of flak from some of the "Brothers" over the horse-drawn vehicle I owned back in the 1990's. (Even when there was no horse to go with it!!!)

• marmot
    marmot

Believe it or not, there are still some who are hardcore against the use of aluminum cookware.

You know those stereotypically hilarious crackpot articles from the Golden Age magazine back in the 30s? I guess some of that fear percolated through a generation or two and still survives among a select few in my congregation.

One of my friends who just got married had a wife who was adamant that Microwaves give you cancer.

I'm an avid shooting sports enthusiast (archery, airguns, powderburning guns) and I had to keep that a secret. On time I got caught on a camping outing teaching RESPONSIBLE gun handling and target shooting to a younger teen in the congregation using a little .177 pellet gun and I got a massive verbal drubbing for it. Even archery is considered a "martial" sport so I had to keep my bow under wraps too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit