Were any gadgets/new technology condemned in your congregation?

by badboy 37 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

any takers?

• minimus
    minimus

the internet

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

This wasn't technology, but I was counseled for being "materialistic" because I bought a desk and a bed. I felt a desk would be a good place to study my watchtowers, and I was tired of sleeping on just a mattress on the floor.

W

• minimus
    minimus

Get out, FF!

• R.F.
    R.F.

Well i'm not sure if the internet is considered "new" technology at this point but it seemed that if any congregation members knew of others using the internet, there was the automatic assumption that you use it for every "immoral" reason possible. So if you use internet, you might not have been an "exemplary Christian".

R.F.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Get out, FF!

Nope, I'm not kidding. I was 25 at the time and this was the first furniture I bought that didn't come from a garage sale. Maybe I overdid it by buying both items in the same week. W

• R.F.
    R.F.

Come on Finally-Free!! You know that money should've gone to the Watchtower Society.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Laptops to take notes.

Scriptures printed out for the WT study from the WT's own CD.

I also got counseled for buying those outside binders and things they used to sell on the Internet.

• merfi
    merfi

They weren't too happy when I'd get football scores via text messages during Sunday afternoon meetings...

~merfi

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I had two cell phones and two pagers at one point because of work. They thought I was a drug dealer or something. I never kept them on during the meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit