Anyone else get baptised at BOWES ROAD North London?

by nicolaou 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

he he, sorry fleaman. Look forward to seeing you and free2think in London soon!

Maddie, any chance you can make the meetup on December 1st? See here.

• south african beef
    south african beef

Didn't get baptised at Bowes Road - that pleasure of mine was at Twickenham back in the late seventies.

Was always going to Bowes Road though as it was our circuit assembly venue for as long as I can remember.

Once I was an 'attendant' at the very back door of the building - I was told that if anyone wanted to come in and use that door I was to ask for identification. Anyway some snobby woman (sorry, 'spiritual sister'), just came in the door and started walking up the stairs. I said excuse me sister but I've been told to ask for your id. She said 'I am the DO's wife and I don't need to show you any id'. With that she snootily carried on walking up the stairs. Christian love at work I thought to myself at the time.

SAB

• south african beef
    south african beef

Forgot to mention that seeing that photo has given me the creeps!

All those years going there and wishing that I was anywhere else!

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

No... but Bowes Road is the "local" Assembly Hall.

Been there once... it was an old cinema wasn't it ?

alt

alt

The newsagent next door has a wide range of literature holders and that sort of stuff for sale... and they have cottoned onto the fact that everyone piles out of the hall at lunchtime - so they sell tea and coffee too.

• S EIGHT
    S EIGHT

Oh yes. Got dunked there along with my mate. We thought it was a good idea at the time. No chance of pulling sisters if you're not dunked. A lot of us had the same attitude and for some strange reason, over a 5 year period a whole generation of us got disfellowshipped. Bowes Road in our circuit was known as the "meat market" in my younger days.

Sadly I'm the only one who got back out of about 12 yoofs in our congregation. Just shows how well the shunning arrangement works. It's supposed to bring erring ones to their senses. I suppose it does in a way. They've got the sense to stay out !!!

Anyway, I was there 2 weeks ago for a whole day of drone.

The circuit was commended for it's service report and the fact that there are 99 regular pioneers in our part of the circuit working very very hard.

How hard?

Well, there were two baptized at our assembly!!!!!!!!!!!! (normally about 10 and back in the day 20+)

Both sisters baptized were introduced and named personally by the speaker. How sad.

Both were children raised in the troof.

So what have the 99 pioneers been doing in the field? The slow slow pioneer walk coupled with the knock gently gently in case we have to speak to someone routeen?

I run a business and if my marketing campaign produced such poor results from such hard work and effort, I'd sack my marketing director and write off the money spent as a hard lesson in what not to do.

I'm told the increase this service year is 3.2% as opposed to the 2% last year. Everyone's gonna go wild at the influx of righteous hearted deserving ones.

Oh how I wish I could erase this all from my mind. It has tainted any hope I may have had at worshipping my creator.

S8

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Attended a french speaking assembly there, in august 2005

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

the most interesting was the small shop that you can see on the picture next door to the assembly hall, where the girl sells leather covers for bibles and WT magazines, together with birthday cards...Mind, I don't mean she is a JW, just that she knows how to do business.

• bubble
    bubble

Yeah I got dunked there in 1985. I was baptised with my cousin and a close friend. Of the 3 of us, 2 are now disfellowshipped. My cousin is a regular pioneer in Cyprus, married to an elder. My close friend and I are both happily divorced and disfellowshipped.

The picture of Bowes Road brings back memories. Do you remember the good old days of the hot lunches? And you could only go in to the restaurant when it was your 'sitting'.

• llbh
    llbh

Not me, though I went there many times,

Baptised Twckenham

llbh

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ah yes, shops near Assembly Halls! There was a particularly savvy one in Coventry that used to do a roaring trade during the District Convention lunch break. They'd get the bacon and sausages frying at the right time to make everyone salivate during the last item - it was irresistible!

Sure enough you'd get a steady trickle of brothers & sisters leaving a few minutes before the program ended to beat the queues, this turned to a flood ten minutes later but those hot, bacon rolls were worth the wait.

Mmmmmmm, bacon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit