Our debt to BRCI

by Vernon Williams 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

I have a buddy, Tom Cabeen, and I was talking ot him about the formation of BRCI. Tom was there at the beginning.....

They started back in the early eighties. Today, the internet is our mode of connecting, however, it was letter, phone, and personal visits back then. I can not imagine the effort needed, without internet, to contact and arrange an event so "underground" (that is the term Tom used) as an "apostate" meet up. The group formed and went on for twelve...fifteen years before starting a site. They have talked to thousands since BRCI formed.

We all, here, and across the globe, that oppose the lies, half truths, rewrites, and mind control of the WT owe a huge, huge debt to BRCI. The folks who formed this little group are, truely, trailblazers in regard to forming a bridge across the chasm of doubt and anxiety in leaving the WT. They and others are ministering to a diverse, uncertain, and emotionally charged crowd. BRCI and Beacon Light and, later, Freeminds were my foundatin stones five years ago.

Imagine, though, BEFORE that, when the resources were not there. We need to form a "museum" of sorts to memorilize these heros. A "wall" where thier names are inscribed....something....

With appreciation to them and all of you,

V

• Confession
    Confession

I was glad to find this thread, and I'm with you, Vernon.

It was reading Tom Cabeen's "Does God Work Through an Organization" posted on the BRCI site that was the final nail in the coffin for me. Soon after reading it, I struck up a friendship with Tom over the phone. A friendlier, more understanding and thoughtful man you will not find. And, like you wrote, the internet has forever changed the manner in which people can learn the facts about High Control Groups--and connect with others who've awakened before them. Back then it must have been enormously difficult.

My appreciation goes out to all those ex-JW pioneers (with a small "p".)

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Confession,

I was fortunate enough to attend the BRCI conference in Chicago in '03. It was so great: as I have said, many, many times: ex JWs are the coolest folks on the planet. They were/are so supportive, balanced, and empathetic.

Tom is a great man. He baptized me a Christian Jurly 23 of "03 when he and his son, Matt, where on a drive from the West to East Coast. That seems like twenty years ago. Tom is working on a new "bio" on his Journey...when he gets it finished I will post a copy, here.

Tom represents the love and kindness of the BRCI crew.

If anyone wants to look up the site do a search on "BRCI."

Confession, thank you for the reply.

V

• mouthy
    mouthy

I think I have been to five BRCI convention.So many to thank Tom, Joe,Dan,Rosilie, Jon Mitchell ( God rest his soul) so many I cant remember them all but it was great meeting them all

• blondie
    blondie

I have been to several BRCI conventions; not this year though when it was in Florida. Next year it will be in Chicago again. There are a variety of people and beliefs. The point is to help ex-jws leave and adjust from the WTS influence. I called the help line when I was just leaving and got a lot of encouragement and publications to guide me on my way.

http://brci.org/

I met Vernon at the 2003 BRCI.

Blondie

• Gregor
    Gregor

I was there! My sister and I flew out from Califonia. We met at Peter Gregersons lakeside cabin. Ray Franz and his wife were there. Ron Frye should be singled out for his leadership and his newsletter that was so well written. Wish I had taken photos. Dan Dykstra, Leonard and Marjorie Chretian... seems like there were about 12-15 people there. I was voted onto the original BRCI board of directors but I resigned from it a couple of weeks after returning home because I was not comfortable with the fundamentalist, "Jesus is our Lord and Saviour" direction it was embracing. This is not a criticism. The BRCI has done so much to help get people out of the WTS, they should be recognized!

• mouthy
    mouthy

HA! HA! Gregor >Jesus is our Lord and Saviour" I didnt go any more because there was not hardly ANY talk on that .....

• Gregor
    Gregor

Well, it was very prominent at the inception. From what you say they have gotten more neutral.

• mouthy
    mouthy

The last I heard Tom was a devoted Catholic. I am not caring what any ones faith is. I just know what mine is( no religion, just a relationship) I love the whole Cabeen family

• Gregor
    Gregor

You said a mouthful, Mouthy!! The Cabeens are by God good folks even if they are papist, bead counting, cracker eating, wine sipping, idol worshipers! I say that with the deepest respect and infection. They are kind, genital people who express the milk of human kindness toward all. May the shed blood of Jesus Christ pour down upon you all. And best regards to his dear mother, Mary. She is a sweetheart and we still remember when she showed up on the side of the Benson Hotel a few years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit