The simple pleasures

by bigwilly 12 Replies latest jw friends

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

So I found myself thinking the other day. This is something I try to avoid most of the time but it sneaks up on me every so often

All jokes aside, the thinking was about what's new. Like when someone asks you "what's new with you?". A majority of the time I (and I suspect others) will give a canned response of "the usual", "nothing new" or something similar. for some unknown reason I got all reflective and took some time to figure out what's new with me. Of all that's new, I was pleased to find that I am easily amused by small things. It's the little shit that makes me happy.

Here are a few examples of "what's new" that makes me smile.

- Weekend before last I bought myself a longboard and am in the process of learning to ride a skateboard after a 10+ year abscence.

- A couple weeks ago I lost one of my tongue bars due to an unfortunate purring incident. The only hardware I had at home was the next size up (4g). Apparently the mixture of alcohol and purring made the upgauge easy, so I now have a 4g and a 6g.

- Due to a newly single lifestyle and a new more walking friendly neighborhood, I've managed to lose at least 15-20 pounds in the last several months.

- I finally got all of my unpacking done and cleaned my room.

So, is it sad that little shit like this makes me happy? Or is it good? What makes you happy?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

"...an unfortunate PURRING incident?"

I like telling people something good. If I can't think of anything good, I say, "Okay." ha. Yeah, I used canned ones, too, but I try to be enthusiastic about them, ha!!!

Yesterday I had a GREAT day with an AWESOME new friend... who just HAPPENS to be an xJW too. We had a BLAST. We smelled roses, drank fantastic coffee, ate great food, had incredible conversation, and looked at lovely inspirational things.

It is raining finally... gods, I love the rain.

I love my Darlin' and my cats. And we are headed to lunch. Hooray! Yep... I love simple pleasures.

Love,
    Baba

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I do think it is the little stuff that matters...

I love getting our baby in the mornings when my husband is home and letting her snuggle with us! It is soooo cute....she likes to tickle daddy and make a little "dodododo" noise like I do when I tickle her!

I also like when it finally (rains) here, and I can light a couple candles and the house is a little dark and cozy.

I like planning to have my husbands family over for thanksgiving and being able to cook for them all.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly
    "...an unfortunate PURRING incident?"

Explaination: I was having a conversation with a friend of mine regarding the benefits and/or drawbacks to having tongue piercings. One of the drawbacks of having a couple good size chunks of surgical stainless steel in one's tongue is that I can't razz people or purr (the purring is more of a bedroom related item). Since I'd had a few beers and she was interested, I gave her a purring demonstration. that is that I offered the feeble purr I can manage with my hardware in followed by removing said hardware and purring for real. As I was attempting to replace my barbells I dropped one of the balls which promptly disappeared on the bar floor. Rather than be without hardware I opted to try my 4g that I've had for a few years in hopes of upgauging. Make sense? Clear as mud?

• alias
    alias

No it's not sad. It's called living instead of thinking about living.

Happiness happens when it's not sought after.

Enjoy the unfolding moments of your life. Purring and all.

alias

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Big Willy... my brother from another mother.

kill the tongue piercings. Do the split. Man up. She'll thank you for it in the long run.

But it's good to hear you're doing well. Apparently there's a lot of happiness floating around the board these days.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Appreciating the simple pleasures is a key to satisfaction. Waiting for big events and huge postive changes is frustrating, as they don't usually occur that often.

If we cannot appreciate the simple pleasures, we only hurt ourselves and make it unpleasant for others to interact with us.

I would add that not only appreciating little things we do on our own, but appreciating little things others do for us is essential.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Richie! Good to see you well also man.

As far as the hardware, I've had one of my piercings for over 10 years and the other for close to 9. I've become a bit attached to them. While the split isn't my personal style, you rock it well and it fits your style. And trust me when I say that the hardware works better than fine

• bigwilly
    bigwilly
    I would add that not only appreciating little things we do on our own, but appreciating little things others do for us is essential.

Gopher you are truly a wise rodent. I've found that if I don't have expectations I am constantly suprised and pleased by the little things that come along. If we open ourselves up to experience what comes as it comes, we recieve much more in every way.

• Open mind
    Open mind
    I dropped one of the balls which promptly disappeared on the bar floor.

I hate it when that happens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit