Giving Talks in the Ministry School

by lovelylil 19 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Anyone else here hate giving talks and refuse to do it?

The last two years I was in the borg, I was not in the school. Everytime the elder in charge of it approached me to "encourage" me to join again, I would have a melt down, cry and pretend I was so depressed and overwelmed that I just could not do that one thing for "Jehovah", and I would act like I may commit suicide if he stresses me out over joining the school again.

I got out of it with 3 elders, in two different congregations. I wish I had thought of this 8 years prior. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else got out of joining the school and how you did it? Lilly

• Zico
    Zico

The last talk I was asked to do was something like 'Why Armageddon is not a violation of God's love'

I couldn't do it.

I'd already quit the school 'because of work exams' at the time as well, but got that talk anyway. I got out of that talk, and then used the work exams excuse again to stay off. (And I was doing exams for work which were taking up a lot of time)

• vitty
    vitty

I really , really hated it. It wasnt so much the doing it but the preperation. For the sisters it was really hard to find a setting. I felt I was writting a little play. It is such a waste of time, nobody listens to it except for the school overseer.

The funny thing is since ive been out 2 peeps who know I dont go anymore have asked me to help them with their talks I ended up writting the whole thing for them LOL

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

The reason giving talks is silly for the sisters is the little setting you have to make up is so unrealistic. Some of them were almost laughable. The society wants you to believe you can be at work, with your bible and literature (yeah right!) , and out of nowhere someone asks a bible question that only you can answer. DREAM ON!

First of all, most JW's I knew had no clue how to use the bible to find an anwer to any questions. they could use the CD-ROM alright, but the bible? I even heard elders say that they are not the "kind of elders" who can find the scriptures right away. Oh, really? Then on the other hand the society has the nerve to compare elders to the Apostles? Do you think the Apostles needed a crib sheet to answer someone's bible question? Lilly

• TIMBOB
    TIMBOB

I honestly can say, I enjoyed giving talks. I was always for the most part relaxed. I loved number 4's. WHY u may ask. Reason is I always remembered sitting through the talks and they were all the same. people with no public speaking ability whats so ever quoting lines from the reasoning book. My goal was to be original. I would always have some bizzare illustration. I would always wonder if all the compliments I got were just the usual "great talk", like everyone gets. But, it always seemed that they were actually paying attention because they would always say something about my illustration. I always had fun with em. But that was just me.

• 38 Years
    38 Years

At first, I would stay late at work and call the elder and tell him I had to work late so I couldn't give my talk. Then I used the working late excuse when I asked the elders to take me off the schedule. By this time, they were sick of my cancelling. It wasn't a very nice thing to do, but the way the elders were running the ministry school anyway, they deserved it if people quit. It felt great to get rid of those talks. I also was glad to get out of the householder part the week before. An added bonus was that I could skip more meetings.

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

I have to admit, I was such a talk snob.

It drove me nuts when people up there did a sucky job. Like fake dramatic gasps and scenarios or "reasoning" that made no sense. I would actually sit there and have the most confused look on my face- then when the overseer would give them all sorts of commendation I'd be like "WTF?!- this person sucks!"

I always felt bad because I should have been more loving, but instead I was judgemental. But man, some of those talks really sucked.

• R.F.
    R.F.

I'm actually one that loved giving talks in the school.

I was always a good little dubbie, preparing weeks in advance. I kept up with that practice after I was appointed a MS. All of that came to an end about 5 months ago. There was no way i'd give talks anymore once I realized the religion was bogus.

R.F.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

NO -love giving talks -always volunteering to stand in a short notice too

• Vinny
    Vinny

As the school overseer, I always tried to nudge involvement from the ones not signed up. Alright, who am I kidding, I also used the guilt trip trick for some too. Would get every kind of reaction imaginable. I was also a bit stronger in announcing to please call me if they could not to show up. That problem was a real pain. Was often having to work on the fly due to no-shows.

I remember one time, I did not realize the bible highlights ministerial servant was not at the meeting until I was on the platform introducing him. After realizing that there was nobody there to do the talk, and seeing all the panic ridden faces watching me, I just did it myself right then.

They all thought I was some superstar after that. I liked that.

; )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit