I'm not racist but.....

by Burger Time 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Savemysoul made a good point that I have heard often. Semi/full blow racist remarks are usually started off with "I'm not racist but..." then add some blanket statement afterwards. So is racism now the new gay? If you have some blanket statement why not just say it's your opinion and you could care less what people think. Now I am not encouraging racism but it's everyone's right to be as biased or unbiased as they feel. Of course I accept that I probably too have used the "I'm not a racist but..." it's just interesting how people seem to tip-toe over how they truly feel. So, any comments?

*edited to add- yes I am aware I pulled the "not encouraging racism" which is equal to the "not a racist" card......

• snowbird
    snowbird

Whites often feel the need to be ultra-careful when they make negative remarks about Blacks or other ethnic groups.

I suspect this is due to society's fixation on being politically correct, but it can have a dampening effect on constructive dialogue.

Sometimes we all need a swift kick in the you-know-where.

Sylvia

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Be willing to accept the consequences for expressing your "freedom."

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Heh...reminds me of an old joke:

joketeller: How does every (insert politically incorrect racial label here) joke start?

listener: Uh...I dunno, you tell me.

The joketeller then exaggeratedly looks at all the entrances to the room, under the tables, behind any nearby large objects, etc until the listener realizes they are pretending to search very carefully for any specimen of said group; who apparently might just be able to materialize out of thin air to beat the crap out of anybody telling such a joke-which is exactly what a lot of racist people actually do before attempting to share their latest idiocy with you.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I will tell a story about something that happened.

"This father with 3 children gets on the bus..."
    "This woman cuts in front of me in a line..."

The person receiving the story gets to a point and tries to stereotype the character I am describing.
    "Was he white?" "Was she Asian?"
    I say it doesn't matter. They want to know, anyway.
    I don't assume they are racist. They just try to picture the person, and start off with the stereotypical
    description. It sounds wierder if they say, "What color was he?" or "What ethnicity [race] was she?"

On the flip side, people try to pin me as racist if I describe someone in my story.
    "This Asian lady, I think she was Korean, cuts in front of me in a line...."
    They ask, "What does her being Korean have to do with her cutting in front of you?"
    "Nothing, I am just relating the story."

So yes, we need to lighten up on people. Don't look for racism in a statement.
    Even seemingly racist statements are often just ignorance.
    The famous lines that reveals some disturbance around people who are different is:
    I have friends who are {black, Asian, gay, Methodist}.
    There's a {black, Spanish, Asian, Indian} family I have had in my house.
    I work with a {white, black, Haitian, Chinese, whatever} person. S/he is normal like us.

Yes, sometimes a bit of prejudice is revealed in these comments. Stereotypes and prejudice
    and fear of something different- none of these is hatred toward another race. Sometimes, that
    is there too, but let's not jump all over someone for making a statement that includes race
    as a description, or is irrelevant to the story. Relax and give the benefit of the doubt.

• fifi40
    fifi40

There are only two things I hate in this world..........racism and the dutch............ .......... hee hee.....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    There are only two things I hate in this world..........racism and the dutch............

See, there you go. A perfect example of ignorance.

Actually, it should read like this:

There are only three things I hate in this world:

A. racism
    B. the Dutch (with a capital D)
    3. Ignorance

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I'm not racist, but...... LOL I fired a guy once. He happened to be black. But, that wasn't the reason that I fired him. So, he said, "You're just firing me because I'm black." I said, "No, actually, I'm not firing you becuase you're BLACK, I'm firing you because you're a DICK and you're costing me too much GREEN!"

I love people that say "I'm not a racist!" I think that's kind of a strange thing to say. Kind of like walking around and saying "I DO NOT have AIDS!" Why say that? It definitely makes people wonder.

• fifi40
    fifi40

Onthewayout

You dont think I was being serious do you????

• Mum
    Mum

Certain groups have always been targeted until the last several years. If you want to tell a racist joke now, substitute the word "blonde" for the group which would otherwise have been derided, and all is well.

There are groups which can be derided still, apparently with no serious consequences. Besides blondes, they include hillbillies/"rednecks" (yours truly here), Catholics, perhaps Arabs, and probably Jehovah's Witnesses.

Regards,

SandraC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit