What is the holy spirit? (according to JW)

by Scotty_was_taken 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scotty_was_taken
    Scotty_was_taken
    The JWs are a cult, not just an "other denom".

Upon looking at dictionary.com I couldn't find a definition of "cult" that couldn't fit in with many denominations we have now days. although a few of these cannot be applied.

1.a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    2.an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
    3.the object of such devotion.
    4.a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    5.Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
    6.a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
    7.the members of such a religion or sect.
    8.any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

the definition for denomination goes

1. A large group of religious congregations united under a common faith and name and organized under a single administrative and legal hierarchy.
    2. which i can see JW's fitting into. Do they not have a common faith orgainised under some brooklyn thing?
      although im not entirely sure. This is just a quick attempt at an answer.
        if you were infact joking, forgive my stupidity hahaha... ugh.
    1. Scotty_was_taken
      Scotty_was_taken
      So scotty, what of people of religions other than Christianity or no religion at all? What accounts for their healing?

well im going to be blunt and say i don't have an answer at all cause I've never even tried to look into it in my entire life and have never encounted healing by another religion other than christian. Can you give me an example of one i can work off?

although as a quick stab, maybe a test from God for believers? i mean if God can do what he did to Job, is it out of our comprehnsion that God would heal someone to test christians loyalty to him upon discovering that healing from a supposable different faith? Or healing may have been something that needed to be done to accomplish Gods plan in a certain circumstance. (we're talking miraculous healing here right?)

Have a sunny day

2. Happy Harvester
      Happy Harvester
      So scotty, what of people of religions other than Christianity or no religion at all? What accounts for their healing?

well im going to be blunt and say i don't have an answer at all cause I've never even tried to look into it in my entire life and have never encounted healing by another religion other than christian. Can you give me an example of one i can work off?

although as a quick stab, maybe a test from God for believers? i mean if God can do what he did to Job, is it out of our comprehnsion that God would heal someone to test christians loyalty to him upon discovering that healing from a supposable different faith? Or healing may have been something that needed to be done to accomplish Gods plan in a certain circumstance. (we're talking miraculous healing here right?)

Have a sunny day

So the god of your fancy might play with our heads and mess us all about to "test" us? What about people who never heard of all the gods? How do you think god would judge them for "choosing" the god presented to them, instead of the right one?
    3. Burger Time
      Burger Time

So it was proven fact huh? Sorry to get off topic but I am calling bullsh*t on this "proven" healing. I do agree that for a dub to say Satan heals people is putting a kingdom against it's self....but I think your friend is full of it, or never had it to begin with.

4. Sirona
      Sirona

JWs fit the criteria of a "cult". They are not a mainstream religion. http://www.freeminds.org/psych/lifton.htm

There are many non-Christians who offer healing.

Sirona

5. theMartian
      theMartian

OK- I'm a JW- and appreciate your questioning- but NOT the deception that it's leading to (correct me if I'm wrong)...the-

altHoly Spook!

And all the CLAIMS to having the "Gifts of the Spirit" are appalling; they can't heal as Christ did- raising the Dead, healing lopped of ears- wether a person had faith or not. AND they don't honor the One who Christ came to make known- His God & Father. Add to that their dispicable lies about God, such as Hellfire- actually make it clear that they DO have "Gifts"...but not from God-

Matthew 7:21-23

21- Not every one who says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but he that does the will of my Father who is in the heavens.

22- Many shall say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied through *thy* name, and through *thy* name cast out demons, and through *thy* name done many works of power?

23- and then will I avow unto them, I never knew you. Depart from me, workers of lawlessness

6. TJ - iAmCleared2Land
      TJ - iAmCleared2Land
      Scott said: another thing is they dont believe that it wasn't all jesus that did the healing, but relied greatly on the healed persons faith. Jesus always asks "do you believe it can happed?" and they would say yes. he would then go to say "then it is done". Never did he heal a person who didnt believe it could be done.

How about the dead people he (supposedly) resurrected? Can a dead person have faith that Jesus can heal them? Do you maintain that it was their pre-death level of faith that mattered?

7. theMartian
      theMartian

alt

The ones claiming to have the Spirit don't even know what it is! Yes- "IT" as IT is referred to (Romans 8), and as the Hebrew and Greek langusge describe it.

Ever read of the visions seen of God where the Father is on the throne, the Son on his right side- and the Holy Spook on the left?

It really is an absurd concept started by the Catholic Church- and carried away with the 'Protestant' churches- who didn't want the rule of the pope and his legions!

8. KW13
      KW13

Oh goody my favourite Subject. The Best Scriptures to read are; 1 Corinthians Chapters 13 - 14. It teaches the use of the Holy Spirit and its place in the congregation setting and it also speaks of when these things will stop (when perfection arrives). Personally i believe these things still happen today, only this tuesday i witnessed something (not for the first time). Why was it sent? John Chapter 14. -------- Yes some of these works may not be of God, but remember what Jesus said in the temple when he was being accused of being 'of' Satan? If Satan conquered Satan there would be no Satan... Mark 3:20 - 30

9. theMartian
      theMartian

The topic is What the Holy Spirit IS- not what people claim it does now...

The Holy SPIRIT ("Ghost" is a BLATENT mistranslation!) is

(1) Never seen in life or in vision with any face or form
      (2) It is NEVER referred to with a name
      (3) It is NEVER seen in the Visions where God & Christ are seen; God's on the throne, Christ is at His right hand- no Ghost on the left!
      (4) It is referred to as "it" (Romans 8- example)
      (5) It is described as being poured out, filling, and even being divided up (Numbers 11:17)
      (6) It is seen radiating as a blinding light from the Temple in ancient Israel (Shekinah Light)
      (7) Mary was conceived with child from Holy Spirit; she didn't have sex with a spirit creature! The angel even SAID what the Spirit was- --------------POWER from the Most High"
      (8) When Jesus is baptised, the spirit appears not as a man or woman- but as a glowing light that John describes as "being shaped LIKE a dove"
      (9) Pentecost: the new group of Christians were given a clear understanding of what God's Spirit is: He didn't have it appear as little faces above each ones head!.....NOPE!.....like tongues of flame (Flame being the form of energy EVERYONE used in that day), and they heard the sound of WIND (ruach/spirit) at it's arrival.

Now references made by by Christ, referring to it as "He" and "That One have been used to convince people that the above facts mean nothing- that it is a GHOST, a Being of a Godhead.
      Yet, to understand what Christ REALLY meant is easy- if you WANT to: Christ- as Firstborn of all creation/creatures, the Beginning of the Creation by God- had been using the Power God gave him (Holy Spirit) for a long time before coming to earth- he used it to create the entire universe! So he NEVER thinks of it as just an energy, a force- even tho that is exactly what IT is. He thinks of the One sending it, and what the purpose is of his Father is when he thinks of the Spirit of
      God- the most awesome force anywhere- the Holy Spirit. And so do all those directed by IT to write the scriptures!
      So the references to greiving it, etc- are showing it's connection to the One behind it....Yahweh/Jehovah- the Only TRUE God.

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit