I'm totally excited!

by coolhandluke 31 Replies latest jw friends

• TIMBOB
    TIMBOB

Wayne go man. IM in the IT feild myself right now. Workin on my bachelors. I would give a bit of advice. I would try to go to a local college instead of university of Pheonix. I knew a few people that hated it. Plus im sure a college in your state would have their administration program online. Alot of it has to do with accreditation-meaning, if you wanted to transfer your classes to another college, they most likly woudnt except them comming from U of pheonix, where as if you went to an actual college, their classes would more likley transfer to another college. I have also heard employers dont value those online universitys as much as actual colleges. Just my 2 cents though.

Congrats on the job though

TIMBOB

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Former IT --> MBA here.

I know what you mean. If I am still in the consulting business when you are ready to start (2011???), I will look out for you and assist.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke
    Former IT --> MBA here.

I know what you mean. If I am still in the consulting business when you are ready to start (2011???), I will look out for you and assist.

I appreciated MadTiger. If I can I want to start part of the process by the end of 08 as far as purchasing a small apartment complex +/- 50 units and adding value. I'll definitely remember your offer. If I can afford it maybe I can fly you out, take you snowboarding and get your advice on my biz plan.

Alot of it has to do with accreditation-meaning, if you wanted to transfer your classes to another college, they most likly woudnt except them comming from U of pheonix, where as if you went to an actual college, their classes would more likley transfer to another college. I have also heard employers dont value those online universitys as much as actual colleges. Just my 2 cents though.

Point noted. I'll do some investigation. Thanks for the advice.

P.S. Is your handle inspired by TimBob from Rage Against the Machine?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Cool your cool, good luck on your endeavor

• why???
    why???

Congrats!!!!!!

• bisous
    bisous

Dom, most employers aren't concerned with the cache' of your undergraduate degree...rather, whether or not you took the effort to complete it. Unless you are on track for an Ivy League degree fresh out of high school, the *high visibility* name brand isn't of paramount importance. In reality, working adults have more options and your real life experience can also mean a lot.

Conversely, your graduate degree does incur a bit more scrutiny and it helps to research and select a college that has certain credentials and reputation for the major you are focusing on.

I've known several working adults who have pursued and satisfactorily completed a Univ. of Phoenix degree with great success. They have appreciated how the programs fit into their already busy schedules. UOP offers options that fit a working adult's schedule, both online and in class variety. Most colleges accept transfer units from UOP.

If you want to chat further offline, PM me and I'd be happy to do so.

• JK666
    JK666

That is such great news. A supporting boss can really help while working full time and going to school. Just stick with it, even when the going is rough. Sometime you will get so sick of having no personal life, but that is temporary.

Good luck!

John

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

terrific news Dominick

congratulations

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That is totally awesome.

I wish my boss had that sort of empathy for his workers.

Congratulations

Chris

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Great news!!!

As someone who was also playing catch-up with qualifications, I also took the Distance-Learning route to a degree. We have a reputable university in the UK called the Open University.

I can't underline how important it is to get a degree and possibly some kind of post-graduate qualification, too. If the latter is from a reputable source then it will underwrite the worth of the original degree, regardless of source.

Its hard work but you know you can achieve it! All the best, pal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit