Do we have over 2000 lurkers a day?

by TheSilence 13 Replies latest jw friends

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

So I was bored and clicked on the little "Big Boards" thing at the bottom of the screen. You can get a lot of statistical information with lots of neat graphs there that're pretty interesting.

For instance, here is 3 months of daily "unique" visitors to the site:

nt323.png daily unique visitors picture by TheSilence824

And then here is a week of online users:

no323.png daily users picture by TheSilence824

Now, I don't know what criteria they use to determine who falls into what category, but it seems to me that the online users would be the number of people who post each day and the number of "unique" visitors would be the number of people who come and look at this site from a different IP address. If this is the case it looks to me like we have well over 2000 daily lurkers. That's a pretty big impact, I would think.

Pretty interesting... but please tell me if I'm mistaken somehow because I can have some extremely blonde moments at times.

Jackie

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Okay, I guess I'm the only one who found it interesting... I'll just go back to my werewolf hole and hide. ;)

Jackie

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester

It is actually both curious and possibly disturbing to note. It make me wonder. Being paranoid is part of being an ex-jw, for many of us, though. I hope many of the visitors are not trouble-makers, but rather people learning the real truth about da troof. It's a nice thought.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I think if you look at the number of new posters we have every day... well, perhaps it's my optimism kicking in, but I choose to believe they are people with doubts who are reading but scared. Perhaps they'll eventually join us.

Jackie

• Guest39
    Guest39

Or, we're not scared; just don't have anything to add at this time.

Lurker, mostly

• oompa
    oompa

Silence...I found this very intersting but just saw it now. As far as the Unique visitors, I would assume that would include those who have signed up on JWD but are just looking, and lurkers who have not signed up. Is that right?....oompa

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I find it interesting that the active posters are about 10% of the total. Still I wonder if somehow we are not seeing the whole picture - could the numbers be skewed somehow? I am not saying they are - just unclear on the precise data-basis for the graphs.

Jeff

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

The numbers probably are skewed, most websites with any kind of statistical analysis are probably making a note of IP addresses of users via cookies, anybody with dial-up web access generates a new IP addy every time they log on to the net. So each day, a dial-up user is a new "unique" user to track. Or even several times a day, if they log on and off the net repeatedly.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    The numbers probably are skewed, most websites with any kind of statistical analysis are probably making a note of IP addresses of users via cookies, anybody with dial-up web access generates a new IP addy every time they log on to the net. So each day, a dial-up user is a new "unique" user to track. Or even several times a day, if they log on and off the net repeatedly.

That would make sense... but how many people use dial up anymore? I don't know anyone who does, personally. I would imagine it's a small percentage of the total.

So, do other connections create a different IP address each time?

And I suppose you would have to account for those people who log on from different computers (work/home) throughout the day?

Even if you cut it in half, which seems much more than you would need to account for to me, that would still leave better than 1000 lurkers a day. Still pretty good in my book ;)

Jackie

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    Or, we're not scared; just don't have anything to add at this time.

Yeah, I don't generally have much to add, either, except in the werewolf games... and that's really just my insanity coming out ;)

Jackie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit