What is the worst thing you ever seen done on a Message board?

by free2beme 13 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Besides the obvious cat fights, flame wars and other mundane nonsense that comes up from time to time. All of which I think can come and go and be put out rather easy with good moderators and this sight seems to do a good job. What I am talking about, is something so nasty that when you look back at it years later. You still go, "That was just terrible!"

My example happened on another message board. A young woman came on and became a friend to the people, she had a boyfriend problem and needed advice and seemed very friendly and easy to get along with. She was also an active poster and someone people all seemed to click with. The message board was not visited by thousands, so the hundred or so people that posted. Kind of knew each other.

Well the woman posted for awhile and suddenly out of the blue, one day this person claimed to have cancer and was going to go in for treatment. It was a form of cancer that most people can fight and survive, and we all tried to be there for her and make her feel better and so on. Well suddenly the show moves on and it is her roommate writing the post, as she is too sick to write from the treatments and so on and we are all worried. Several private e-mails are exchanged with other posters and people are very concerned.

This goes on for awhile and we are being told the roommate is reading our post to the sick woman and we write poems, thoughts from articles and good caring thoughts. I am sure people who come to message boards for any length of time, would know what I am saying.

One day we come to the board and see this "Posters Name ... died!"

It was terrible, we all were so sad and felt like we should do something and knew we could not all travel to her location for a funeral. So we arranged to candle lighting vigil to light a candle world wide in tribute and support for her and there were several post of grief and so on. Very sad.

So why was this so terrible ....

Because it was fake, the person who did it was playing a game. The "Roommate" was the real person and had no idea it would get so out of hand. It was years later before people found out the truth and by that time, many of the posters had moved on and the ones left did not know. I am sick to this day, thinking about that event and it makes me very untrusting of people online that claim certain things. I was irritated to be among those fooled. I always ignore those threads, not because I am heartless. Rather because I feel this way, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"

Anyone else see something like this? I have heard my example mentioned before, and it makes me think possible SCAM trend. The details very a little here and there, but the end result seems to be the same. The things in common are normally ...

- Poster never shows a picture.

- Poster goes from one extreme to another.

- Poster mentions third party writing.

- Poster seems to be following a script.

If this sound like something you read here or any other Witness related forum. Please know, my example is not coming from a message board that is Witness related in any way and I have not gone there in years and actually doubt it even exist anymore, as it was many many years ago.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Wow thats lots worse than posting pics of your wife naked on the interenet... Of course to hear HER tell it that might not be!

• free2beme
    free2beme

I had a guy at work I sit next too, post naked pictures of his girlfriend online when she cheated on him. I thought it was rude, but he seemed to get a kick out of it. Until she took some serious legal action on him and scared him in to growing up. Her dad was a well known local lawyer.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

- Poster never shows a picture.

- Poster goes from one extreme to another.

- Poster mentions third party writing.

- Poster seems to be following a script.

Shattau free!!

You're blowing my cover man.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Wow, talk about stepping in to a pile of crap. I wrote this thread, and because I do not read everything here or spend time here enough to know all the back stories. I did not know something like this was happening here on this board. That is why I reformatted my thread at the end to say it was not a Witness board issue. It does make me feel a little better in some ways though, to know I was not alone in having been threw something like this. I personally thought it was not funny and frankly thought it SUCKED! So any sick jerk who would get off on such BS, should get a life and stop messing with others.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

The worse thing I ever was part of while on a db was the real death of one of the boards favorite posters. One of the people out riding with Chris just posted on the forum that Chris had had a massive heart attack when I was on line in ICQ chatting with his best friend Mike.

They had met on that board and even though they lived over a thousand miles away from each other and in different countries to boot they were very good friends and started each day in an online chat room, like clock work. Mike said it was the best part of his day chatting it up with Chris every morning before they both went to their respected jobs or household duties.

Anyway I had to tell Mike his friend Chris had died while riding his bike earlier. Mike checked out the forum and there was a l o n g pause......then my phone rang and it was Mike. We both chatted on the phone all the while posting on the forum in a tribute thread which still stands to this day on that forum. It must be 9 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday, you never forget when a grown man cries.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Well I guess my post above it's really what you're looking for in worse things ever done........but it was almost the first time I saw such a huge out pouring on a db for one individual, one we all knew and loved dearly. This board has gatherings all over the world. I went to one of them and met quite a few from the forum. In fact the first ever gathering on that board was published in Mountain Bike magazine back in like '96 or '97 not sure which year.

Thing is it was a very tight knit community for years although it's not the same now.

• reneef
    reneef

The worst behaviors to me are posting of confidential information due to a flame war someone couldn't win. People who attempt to out. Also making an account in the known name of someone's innocent child just to torment the parent of that child. Outers and people who pick on children just plain suck. I don't know how I got this color.

• free2beme
    free2beme

bikerchic

At least your story, although very very sad, was true and not someone trying to get there kicks in some sick way. The former is a very big let down emotionally and makes you very irritated to be played.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I've seen...

Peoples name and address and phone numbers posted.

I've seen people stalk people.

I've seen people physically assaulted after a chain of events.

I've seen suicides, marriages fail, shacking up, and breaking down.

The message boards are virtual places with real people. Forget that fact at your own peril.

My nickel. Used to be 2 cents but, you know...inflation and all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit