May I Use Your Computer for a Minute?

by journey-on 23 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

What would you say?

Scenario: Your JW sister and her elder husband drop by for a brief visit after service. They are on their

way to meet some of "the friends" for a get together and decide since they're in the neighborhood, they

will drop in for a few minutes. BIL tells sis he needs to check his company email. Turns to you and says,

"May I use your computer for just a minute?" My JWD stuff is all over it! All you have to do is key in a "J"

in the browser window and a whole list of JWD posts pop up. !!!! What do you say? What do you do?

My relationship is tenuous with my sis as it is. If she was certain about my "apostasy", I know she would

bale on me. (This is just a "what if", but I was thinking about this scenario and wondered what WOULD I DO?)

I can't say it's broken....it's brand new and always up and running!

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Create a new login for windows...

Keep your JWD stuff on one, and leave the "guest" account plain.

That's what I do - I have even managed to get the JW that studies with me flicking through some of the JW stuff on here without raising suspicions

• AnneB
    AnneB

You say "no".

It's their problem if they didn't take care of checking their email before they left home.

Whether it's a ruse or not is secondary.

The real issue is personal discipline.

As an afterthought, most companies require some extra software installed on a home computer or laptop before an employee can remotely access their company email. Even if this guy owns the company I'd be surprised if he could access company email on just any machine.

• ninja
    ninja

I long for the day a JW wants to look at my apostacomp

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

In this scenario, I'd just say no.

When my friends(no dubs) have wanted to borrow my laptop in the past, I have a guest account set up so they have no access to my stuff.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

you can blame viruses - "I'd love to but I've had so much trouble with viruses coming in on emails." Switch conversation to viruses and various antivirus programs which leads to other programs you have tried, and how about that google earth?

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Say, "I'm really sorry, Sis, but I am very uncomfortable with allowing anyone to use my computer. It contains sensitive information and allowing someone else to use it, even you I'm afraid, well, it would feel like an invasion of privacy. I hope you understand." then, change the subject and move on. Don't let them drag you back into the discussion and make sure that if they try it say, "You know, I told you how I honestly felt and it makes me uncomfortable that you are continuing to push this. Please, can we just drop it now?"

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

Borrowing your computer is like borrowing your toothbrush. Never.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Most folks think it's like asking to use your phone.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Most folks think it's like asking to use your phone.

Not hardly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit