The good old days and the "smart people" thread.

by wanderlustguy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I also think that some long-time posters that have met over the years feel like family and see some of the more "junior" members as interlopers in their "home".

Comments are often made about the "good old days" when JWD was full of smart people.

It is often lamented that it is currently inhabited by a bunch of idiots that pale in comparison to the glorious ones of yesteryear.

" These brothers today just aren't as zealous. Remember when we'd be out in service till dark? Alot of these newer ones quit at noon. They don't prepare for the meetings. They're not as loving...blah, blah, blah."

I've seen in it every company I ever worked with or for.

" These new guys suck. Remember So-And-So? Now he knew his job! They don't make them like that anymore."

I try to be aware of these pre-existing relationships and show respect and deference to all.

I really respect the guy who said this, it's a point I see people bring up a lot. I think about it too. There is one guy in particular that I consider to have helped me beyond anything that could be typed here, simply because of the way he communicates and his obvious intelligence. He says things that make me feel like an idiot. But some people think he's an asshole. Most of them are pretty insecure about themselves from what I have seen, but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I've also been one of the guys that people talk about, not here because I'm never here and don't really add much of substance I'm sure, but at something I am very good at. And it's a fact, I'm damn good and most people get intimidated around me in my environment. That's just the point though, if you take me out of that and put me on a hockey team, I'm gonna get killed.

Some people are gifted in speach, writing, research, and communication. At one time there was a lot of these people who coincidentally came on around the same time and were working their way out of the truth. Some of them were friends or knew people who brought each other on in one way or another, and had a lot in common. It's not really an insult to people here in my opinion if they are remembered as being smart, but rather a comment that shows these guys are missed because they had a knack for putting things in a way that struck right to the core of what we needed.

As far as it being human nature, is there really anything wrong with referring to someone as an example, setting the bar at a different level? I used to get miffed at people younger than me who were more recognized or did better work, but then it hit me, who's fault is it? Is is the observers fault? Is it the guy who does better work or puts in more time than me's fault? If I don't like it or am offended, it's my fault, no one elses. If I don't like it or want to be better than they are, I check them out, see what they did that was so great, and most of the time I learn something that makes me better.

I don't really think any of the "Old Posters" here consider the newer ones to be transient or interlopers, but they each have to say that for themselves. I don't even know if I'm an Old Poster, but I've been here long enough to see a lot of cycles and people who do their thing and are great, and eventually move along, having helped some on the way.

Pride is a killer. I've seen a lot of great talent do to waste worrying about being as good as someone else, or looked over because the Golden Boy got all the glory. The truth is the the "smart people" have never to my knowledge called themselves the "smart people", a large number of other people did. It's like the guy who has to remind everyone he's the best there is...if you are then you don't have to say so.

So I guess my point is that instead of feeling slighted, maybe it would help to rememeber that there is always someone stronger, smarter, or better. And if someone left enough of an impression that years later folks still remember them, go read their stuff, because it really is that damn good. I'll give an example that I'm sure no one will argue with. Farkel. The guy is completely original and has posted some of the best work here. I'll never be him, really don't care to be, but I am happy that he cared enough to write a ton of stuff that I can use to help people coming out of the org.

Someone else being really good at something doesn't devalue the next person. People referring to it may indicate that there is a void to be filled. Maybe it is the same as asking for us to dig a little deeper and come out with some really good heart felt writing like these guys used to do.

Want to share your opinion?

WLG

• Fleur
    Fleur

When I think of 'old posters' I only think that way in terms of people I knew when this place started- some still here now and then, some gone. I've gone through extended absences myself and still am drawn to come back and say hello now and then if only to assure people that rumors of my re-assimilation are greatly exaggerated (they'll never take me back alive!)

I think that most everyone here has something to offer and no one is more or less valid because everyone is helped by different things at different times.

For example, some folks go on about people who have researched in depth to the letter line by line WTS publications and disected them to help people break free from the org. Those things I am sure have helped a lot of people, but by and large you know what helped me the most here and other exJW related boards?

People who just listened. Then said, you know, I have been there and you'll be okay.

I tried to do that for others for a long time too- paying forward the kindnesses shown to me. I still try to when I can.

Old poster, new poster. We're all people who have been through a unique experience that only so many millions on this planet out of billions can truly understand. That makes us pretty damned important to each other, if you ask me.

There should be room for old posters and new posters alike. Each has a part to play.

Sorry for the ramble, I should've gone to bed already, after the old-poster related Vincent thread made me cry.

hugs

essie

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

WLG, I hope my words weren't misunderstood.

If they were, it wouldn't be the first time.

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester
    Maybe it is the same as asking for us to dig a little deeper and come out with some really good heart felt writing like these guys used to do.
  • Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester
    Old poster, new poster. We're all people who have been through a unique experience that only so many millions on this planet out of billions can truly understand. That makes us pretty damned important to each other, if you ask me.
  • UnConfused
    UnConfused

:::But some people think he's an asshole. Most of them are pretty insecure about themselves from what I have seen, but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

You sit for the portrait that people paint of you.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

WLG, I hope my words weren't misunderstood.

I thought you brought up a valid point that deserved addressing because it wasn't the first time nor were you the first person.

Everyone should feel important, it's not about who it important anyway, its about the help we all get here, all of this is my opinion of course. I totally agree with the point about the best help is just someone listening. So many times just coming here and saying hello again and seeing someone else say "hi I hope you are ok" meant more to me than a five page essay on the effects of programming.

My point was that everyone sees things differently, just like sitting for then picture people paint of you, some people need glasses. Some don't, but that still is no guarantee we see the same things the same way. If it hits hard that someone is noticed more because of things they said or say or the level of conversation they present, then maybe I'm here for the wrong reasons, or if I want recognition, I need to do something to be recognized for.

Ultimately I guess my opinion still is as it has been for a while now, most of our problems are within. I don't really think there is so much a hang up on "the good old days" of "smart posters" as much as it is an observation that the level of discussion lacks the substance that the person had become accustomed to seeing and an indicator that something is missing...for them.

It doesn't mean everyone else isn't just tickled pink and can't get enough of whatever is up now.

As always, it's just my opinion, and it's not worth much. But in the words of one of those folks I do respect so much...

It's not my fault...I was in a cult.

WLG

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

I was here when this place first started.

It has changed alot. And for the good.

The smart people and good old days makes me think...which is why I am posting. I have a new job, I hate it.

Same thing I have been doing for 20+ years, but with new people. I got together with friend tonight that I have worked with for those 20- years, except for the last 9 months. We miss each other so much, I hate the change.

We laughed and cried...and decided we would remember the good times, but going back does not exsist.

Remember the good days..and grow from it. I am trying too...but it is hard.

Do you think it has to do with being a witness?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..Bah!!..Humbug!..These young upstarts!..With their Hipp`n and a Hopp`n!....I remember the "Good Old Days" on JWD!..Flame War`s everywhere!..A Troll around every corner!..A Goofy Newbie never had a chance!..They were shot on sight!.........Now what do we have???..Lets Welcome People..Lets give Newbies a chance..Lets discuss things,instead of having a good Old Fashioned "Flame War!!".....Where`s the Blood!..Where`s the Carnage!..This place is too dam friendly!..JWD has "Gone to Hell in a Hand Basket!!"..Grumble,grumble.grumble.....LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Warlock
    Warlock
    ..Bah!!..Humbug!..These young upstarts!..With their Hipp`n and a Hopp`n!....I remember the "Good Old Days" on JWD!..Flame War`s everywhere!..A Troll around every corner!..A Goofy Newbie never had a chance!..They were shot on sight!.........Now what do we have???..Lets Welcome People..Lets give Newbies a chance..Lets discuss things,instead of having a good Old Fashioned "Flame War!!".....Where`s the Blood!..Where`s the Carnage!..This place is too dam friendly!..JWD has "Gone to Hell in a Hand Basket!!"..Grumble,grumble.grumble.....LOL!!...OUTLAW

Let me start a new/old era. OUTLAW, YOU ARE A FRAUD, A CAD, AND A SCOUNDREL. Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit