Okay! I Can't Take It Anymore........

by journey-on 26 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Dear Nvr:
    I want a man who knows what love is all about.
    You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not
    like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have
    ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no
    feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever
    happy--will you let me be yours?
    XXXX

What the hell, Clam?

How did you gain access to my PMs?!?!?!?!

• watson
    watson

The "then and than" thing always gets me.

• BrentR
    BrentR

One more way to alienate posters by intimidation. Is being picky about spelling and grammar more important then making sure everyone feels welcome here? What about the members that use English as a second language? This is a great way to encourage lurkers to make that first post. It will also help members open up and get some input on how to work through a problem(s) knowing that their spelling an grammar will be nit-picked and critiqued to pieces.

When does condescension encourage conversation?

Anytime I hear someone correcting grammar they look and sound like complete nerds. It's their way of trying to make themselves look intelligent because they have failed at wit and humor.

• Clam
    Clam

LOL Nvr, sorry old sport but I've been at it for months. By the way the stolen PM was the other version.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Clam, you're too much! That was good! Did you make that up yourself?

• journey-on
    journey-on

BrentR

Don't get your panties in a wad. This post is pretty much a spoof on the infamous Spelling Thread started by

Terry. It started the same kind of heated arguments that you just presented. So many misspellings and grammar errors

made me think of it in a funny sort of way...not condescending at all. It's all in good humor, my friend.

• t33ap80c
    t33ap80c

Hi Shawn,

RE: "then" and "than":

I appreciate your bringing my attention to the proper uses of "then" and "than." Apparently my high school teachers either failed to carefully explain the difference or I wasn't paying close enough attention when they did explain it.

You post inspired me to do a Google Search of "then and than." One thing it helped me to realize is that I'm apparently not the only one who has a problem knowing when to use which word. One source explained it this way:

"Many times people misuse the words "

than" and "then." Whether it's because the words are pronounced similarly in some areas or because people simply don't know the difference between them, it is important to know in which situations to choose each word. Follow this guide below, and then you'll be using these words better than anyone you know!" - http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Than-and-Then

This source explains the difference between these words this way:

When

comparing one thing with another you may find that one is more appealing "than" another. "Than" is the word you want when doing comparisons. But if you are talking about time, choose "then": "First you separate the eggs; then you beat the whites." Alexis is smarter than I, not "then I."

Another source explained it this way:

Many people use than when they mean then, and vice versa.Than, a conjunction, is used to compare thingsThen, an adverb, is used with descriptions of time.• Then, suddenly, Mr. Perez shouted, "I’m a better diver than you’ll ever be!"
    • I think she looks dangerously skinny, but then, what do I know?

Your example:
    Bigger THAN, more THAN, I'd rather have this one THAN that one etc.
    Back THEN I was a teenager, well THEN, I'll just have to take my supper on the porch, I'll have the ham on rye THEN...

I used the "Find and Replace" function of my Word Processor to see if I could find those four misuses of "then" that you mentioned. I think I found one on page 87 where I said "less then honest" instead of "less than honest." Do I now have that right? On page 117 I said, "...rather be deceived then to have to face the truth." That should also be "than"? If you remember where you found the ones you mentioned above please let me know where they are.

I'm also looking up ever occurrence of "than" to see they need to be changed to "then." One occurrence is on page 37 where it says, "They didn’t stop celebrating Christmas until more than seven years after Jesus’ inspection was completed." Although that statement seems to have to do with time (not a comparison), "then" doesn't quite sound right. Let me know what you think on this one (or any other ones you can think of).

I would appreciate very much if you (or anyone else) can refer me to any 'typos' you find in the book. They can be easily corrected once I now what and where they are.

Thanks again Shawn for the lesson on the proper usage of "then" and "than."

Don Cameron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit