New to Board

by Happy_Apostate 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Happy_Apostate
    Happy_Apostate

Well, I read some of the old posts today and kinda got the jist of the hoax crap. My story isnt all that horrible really, so I feel no need to pull off a hoax. Pretty simple really. My family was always marginally connected to the witnesses most of my life. When I turned 10 my mother got serious, thats when all the christmas and birthdays stopped. I got brought into the whole thing. Bible studies with elders sons and theocratic ministry school. Part-time Pioneering on summer breaks. The whole shebang as they say. I got to high school and started leading the double life. Most of us were in those days. I disliked being in the truth not because of doctrinal understanding but because it kept me from being like other kids. I wanted to play football and go to the prom and do all that stuff. So when the family split up I saw an opportunity to run and I did. Straight to the US Marine Corps. I fought in desert storm. I work as a firefighter / paramedic now. I was married / divorced and have 4 kids.

I studied the bible alot over the years and came to understand how very WRONG the JW's have it. Although I do not believe the bible to be true, I definately think they got it wrong on so many levels it's amazing. Today I am a secular humanist, I raise my children as such.

There are times that period of my life creeps into my head, and although it feels like a lifetime ago, it still has a presence. I still mourn for a wasted youth and opportunities I missed because of that cults influence in my life.

Here's some details, since I'm not a poser and love my Apostate title I am not ahsamed to post them.

My name is Patrick, I live in Springfield Ohio. My family attended Central Congregation in Springfield Ohio from 1979-1989. and off and on again throughout the early 90's. I disassociated myself in the presence of two elders at the age of 18 also with a formal letter read into the congregation. I was contacted by the Elders in 1995 or so informing me the Soceity no longer used the status "Disassociated" and that I was considered "disfellowshipped" and that they were reaching out to me to bring me back to the truth. I informed them I preferred being disassociated. I left them, they didnt kick me out.

• changeling
    changeling

Welcome!

changeling

• Gopher
    Gopher

Patrick / H.A. ,

Thanks for telling more of your story. I too was raised in the Borg, and missed out on quite a bit of fun stuff and on higher education, as I stayed in through too much of my adulthood.

Also I'm aligned on your secular humanism and further am atheist at this point. I have no use for religion personally, although I am good friends with people who are religious (here and in real life).

I hope you'll enjoy your stay on the board!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit