Is violence ever justified or acceptable?

by ThomasCovenant 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hi

Sorry if this has been discussed a thousand times before.

My heart says NO Let's all get along and love each other and show respect to the individual.

My mind says YES. Unfortunately not everyone else agrees with the above. What then?

If a woman is being abused by a violent husband is she 'justified' to physically cause him violence to stop it?

If a child grows up and later meets his sexual abuser is he justified in causing the abuser physical harm?

I was reading at the weekend in a national newspaper about the systematic mass violent rape that is taking place in one of the central African countries. There were reported cases of husbands being forced to watch their wives and daughters being gangraped with wooden objects to the extent that the womens internal organs are now totally ruined..

If that husband managed to break free would he be justified in causing physical harm to those abusers?

It would seem to me that all who say NO would still have to say NO.

I tip my hat to those ( including women) who still maintain this stance as I don't think I am that strong.

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

In cases of self-defence, yes! By self defense, I do not mean one person's perceived threat of harm. There should be clear and present danger of "physical harm" as evidenced by specific threatening behaviours on the part of the aggressor. (Hint: knocking on someone's door to talk to them about a subject that upsets you greatly for whatever reason, is not a true threat or danger to your physical person)

Cog

• Dansk
    Dansk

If one or one's family is at risk from being violently attacked and the only way to subdue the attacker is by violence in return then I'd say in those circumstances it is acceptable.

Ian

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Violence is only justifiable if it is to prevent harm to an innocent party. As cog dis points out, it shouldn't be a vauge feeling you might be at risk, but either a response to an actual physical assault or a proactive attack to pre-empt an attack that any reasonable person (i.e. a jury) would assume was unavoidable.

If a woman is being abused by a violent husband is she 'justified' to physically cause him violence to stop it?

Yes. Even if it is pro-active. A woman who has provably been physically abused for some time by a man and who professionals agree was in fear of her life but trapped in the abusive relationship and incapable of leaving should not go to jail for killing him in his sleep.

If a child grows up and later meets his sexual abuser is he justified in causing the abuser physical harm?

No.

I was reading at the weekend in a national newspaper about the systematic mass violent rape that is taking place in one of the central African countries. There were reported cases of husbands being forced to watch their wives and daughters being gangraped with wooden objects to the extent that the womens internal organs are now totally ruined..

If that husband managed to break free would he be justified in causing physical harm to those abusers?

I'd kill them if I got free, and think it quite reasonable to do so.

I see it this way; every one has a right to life and to not be physically attacked. Anyone attacking another voids their right to not be attacked, anyone trying to kill voids their right not to be killed, and if there is a grey area (is the guy just attacking me is he trying to kill me?) I am not going to stop defending myself until he is incapacitated or dead.

(hit send to soon)

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

In a black and white world the answer can only be YES or NO

Trouble is life isn't like that.

This topic is NOT meant to be anything to do with the pepper spraying incident.

However reading through the many postings that took place it struck me how adamant and definite people were on this issue of violence. Then reading 'purplesofa's' account of wife abuse plus the weekend article about rape in Africa got me thinking about how I would react to these sort of things. Only yesterday in the local Welsh news a women was found not guilty of murdering her husband who it was believed was physically abusing her.

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

This topic is NOT meant to be anything to do with the pepper spraying incident.

Then why did you just mention it?

Cog

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Thanks for pointing that out cognizant dissident.

Why did I mention the pepper spray incident? Because I noticed you 'hinted' at it in your first reply.

After that I mentioned that reading through the postings on those threads many people were against any justification for violence. I am not trying to discuss that topic which I did not take part in. I am just interested in the thoughts of those who feel so strongly against. The issue of the African rapes I have to say were the main trigger for this thinking on this subject.

Like I said, I genuinely respect those who have the strength to abhor all forms of violence. It is by trying to understand their thoughts that I may learn to be a 'better person' perhaps.

Respectfully

Thomas Covenant

• James Free
    James Free

I would say violence, even to the point of killing someone, is justified when used in self defense. I, and few others, would sit back and let someone rape their wife or daughter in front of them, whatever their moral position before. But to make the first move, no.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

James Free

Just checking, did you mean NOT sit back.

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

I think it would be a normal reflex to seek revenge when harm is being done to a loved one. I don't think I could just sit back and let someone be harmed and let the abusers get away with it.

LINDA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit