Prisoners of the WT cult

by Maddie 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Maddie
    Maddie

I wanted to research more on cults and the mind control techniques they use. If I had any doubts (which I haven't) that the WT uses these highly sophicated techniques, then I certainly wouldn't now!!!!!!

As we have had a thread asking why people don't leave the WT when they know that it has major flaws, I thought it would be beneficial to explore how powerful these methods of control are.

Some basic principles of Social Psychology and Group Dynamics

a) The net result of these studies has been the consistent demonstration of the remarkable power of behaviour modification techniques, group conformity, and obedience to authority (the "influence process").

b) In totalistic cults, the ideology is internalized as "the truth", the only "map" or reality. The doctrine not only serves to filter incoming information but also regulates how the information can be thought about..... The doctrine claims to answer all questions to all problems and situations.

c) Another key aspect of thought control involves training members to block out any information which is critical of the group.

d) If information transmitted to a cult memberr is perceived as an attack on either the leader, the doctrine, or the group, a hostile wall goes up. Members are trained to disbelieve any criticism. Critical words have been explained away in advance as "lies about us that Satan puts in peoples' minds"...Paradoxically, criticism of the group confirms that the cult's views of the world is correct. The information does not register properly.

e) Emotional control...terror of discovery and punishment by the leaders

f) The most powerful technique for emotional control is phobia indoctrination.....People are made to have a panic reaction at the thought of leaving....

g) Although cult leaders tell the public "Members are free to leave any time they want", actually members may not have a real choice, because they have been indoctrinated to have a phobia of the outside world. Induced phobias eliminate the psychological possibility of a person choosing to leave the group.

h) Information control extends across all relationships. People are not allowed to talk to each other about anything critical of the leader, doctrine,or organisation Members must spy on each other and report to the leaders.

i) People are told to avoid contact with ex-members or critics. Those who could provide the most information to be especially shunned.

j) Control of information by having levels of "truth".

k) The Doctrine is Reality - no room for regarding group's beliefs as mere theory.

l) The doctrine becomes the "master programme" for all thought, feelings, and actions. It is the TRUTH, perfect and absolute, any flaw in it is viewed as only a reflection of the believer's imperfection. He should try to work harder and have more faith so he will come to understand the truth more clearly.

j) No outside group is recognised as valid because that would threaten the groups monopoly on truth. Member must only go to leader.

k) Some groups cultivate a psychic paranoia, telling members that spirit beings are watching them , may even take possession of them whenever they feel or think in non-cult way.

l) Elitist mentality - special ones of mankind, important in human history, therfore must perform their duties well or fail mankind.

m) Happiness through Good Performance - love is conditional on good performance.

n) Problems always fault of member - fear is major motivator

o) Apocalyse is just round the corner - many cults have timetables, which tend to be a few years away, near enough to carry an emotional punch. These predictions fade into background as the big day approaches.

p) The leader issues a new timetable that moves the event up a few years.

q) There is never a legitimate reason for leaving. Members are thoroughly indoctrinated with the belief that terrible things will happen to them if they leave.They are locked in a psychological prison.

Sorry folks, I know it's long but I thought it might help some readers to know these things. Here is a poem I found about the WT:-

The Judgment of the Watchtower

The day is fast approaching…
    The judgment is at hand…
    Soon all the gb hypocrites
    Will be forced to understand.

They soon will see their empire
    Crumble from disuse
    They truly could avoid this,
    But it appears they’re too obtuse.

For they fail to notice,
    They totally dismiss
    The proof they’ve lost God’s favor.
    They pretend nothing’s amiss.

But answer us this question,
    Oh guardians from the tower.
    Why can the mere internet
    Undermine your lofty power?

Could it be the answer,
    Lies simply in the fact,
    That it’s only with Satan
    With which the Watchtower has a pact?

Maddie

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

When it comes to cults, the Watchower ticks every box and then some. My own research in to this and the subliminal images in the literature has led me to believe it is deeply satanic. To be honest it gives me the creeps. I won't have any literature in the house now.

Love the poem. I think the writing is on the wall for them but it will be a slow bleed rather than a dramatic blow out.

• *summer*
    *summer*

(((Thank You)))

• hybridous
    hybridous

To be honest, the WT imprisons no adult person, without that person's explicit consent.

• VM44
    VM44

To be honest, the WT imprisons no adult person, without that person's explicit consent.

However, many adults who become Jehovah's Witnesses don't fully understand what they are getting into!

--VM44

• journey-on
    journey-on

VM44 said:

However, many adults who become Jehovah's Witnesses don't fully understand what they are getting into

This was probably true before the information highway came barreling full force into our homes. Now

there is absolutely no excuse not to KNOW the truth about this organization.

It's the children that have been indoctrinated from a very early age that I'm so concerned about.

Maddie...good poem. And thank you for presenting your research. IMO they intentionally use \

mind control techniques and subliminals.

• yknot
    yknot

Maddie,

I recognize many tactics on the list, and agree for most part with the posted theory. However there still are a few more prevailing issues that keeps JWs, JWs.

TRINITY

HELL

IMMORTALITY OF THE SOUL.

USING JEHOVAH AS GOD'S NAME INSTEAD OF GOD.

I was talking to a Sister today (both of us are born-ins), most of the hype is the same regurgitated stuff we have heard for DECADES. We talked about the "generations" and secrecy. The lack of any meat or anything to get excited about and want to knock on doors proclaiming so. We discussed other church venues for our children and families in our area but it comes down to the 4 above, that hold us. The blind faithers are dying out slowly but dying nonetheless.

I think we are growing demographic besides how long can Jesus reign in Heaven and yet nothing happens down here on Earth that remotely looks like Tribulation, let alone like Armageddon.

mmmm guess that is why the are focusing more on "developing" countries then us in the Northern Hemisphere.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

However, many adults who become Jehovah's Witnesses don't fully understand what they are getting into!
    I understand the WTBS now has a separate publication for the public and one for the members. I think that's pretty sneaky. You never hear about disfellowshipping and other unkind behaviors until you're sucked in.

• journey-on
    journey-on

TRINITY

HELL

IMMORTALITY OF THE SOUL.

USING JEHOVAH AS GOD'S NAME INSTEAD OF GOD.

I don't think doctrine matters SQUAT. It's like I told the wife of an elder that came by to visit. (They keep trying. I probably shouldn't be so nice to them.)

Anyway, I told her when she said "we are the only ones that have the truth about the trinity and hellfire" that I have come to believe that docctrine doesn't matter at all. I said

I could put a Baptist minister across the room and he could quote just as many scriptures to support them as she could to refute them. She didn't know

what to say. It's true. Doctrine is simply a religion's take on what the Bible is saying. I told her the only thing that mattered is just what Jesus said. "Love

God your father with your whole heart, soul, strength, and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself." That's all that matters....LOVE. And we all know where

they really stand when it comes to true, forgiving, unconditional love. Everything else, including doctrine, is just guess work.

• startingover
    startingover

Thanks for the post. That is one of the best lists I have seen. I would love to send it to my favorite cult members, but alas I realize that if their mind isn't in the right place...well you know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit