Who is the Lord of lords?

by Antredd 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Antredd
    Antredd

In order to understand who the Lord of lords is, some groundwork on God being one needs to be established as biblical truth.

Deuteronomy 6:4 says Hear, O Isreal: The Lord our God, the Lord is one!

In many Christian old testament bible passages, we see the word Lord in all capital letters. When we see that word in all capitals, it means that the word was translated from the Hebrew Tetragrammaton. The Tetragrammaton are consonants that represent the four letters YHWH identifying the name of God. The covenantal name of God in the Hebrew Bible is written with the four consonants: Yodh He Waw He. This name is known as the Tetragrammaton (Greek for "the four letters").

Although the Tetragrammaton was pronounced freely at the time the Torah and Prophets were written, its holiness in Judaism is such that it is no longer pronounced, except under very rare circumstances. Today, most scholars believe that name was pronounced Yahweh. But the name Jehovah is a corrupted form of that word that many commonly use in the English language today.

Lord in all capitals in the old testament means God-Jehovah who is the only true god spoken. The Jehovah’s witnesses’ New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures Bible translates the all capital LORD we see in the Christian bible Jehovah. So in their New World Translation, Deuteronomy 6:4 reads Hear, O Isreal: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah NWT.

Paul, in 1Corinthians 8:6, also agrees with God-Jehovah being one. 1Corinthians 8:6 says yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we live NKJV.

Here we see that Paul makes it very clear that Jehovah is one, He’s one God, and only the father is Jehovah.

Since Scripture supports God-Jehovah being one God. We can look at what Deuteronomy 10:17 says about who is the LORD of lords.

Deuteronomy 10:17 says For the LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality nor takes a bribe NKJV.

The New World Translation translates Deuteronomy 10:17:

For Jehovah your God is the God of gods, and the Lord of lords, the God great, mighty and fear-inspiring, who treats none with partiality nor accepts a bribe.

Think about what this means. Of all of those who are lords over anything, then God-Jehovah-is the Lord over them. Right?

Do you think that there could be more than one individual who has the same title LORD of lords? Does that make sense?

If the bible in Deuteronomy says that God is one, and that He’s the Lord of lords, then would it make sense to say if there were two Lord of lords, then one of them would have a lord that He wasn’t the lord over?

If the two Lord of lords were equal, then they both would have a lord which doesn‘t make sense and contradicts the bible about God-Jehovah being just one Lord of lords. So the only way we can have a Lord of lords if there is only one Lord-Jehovah over the lords.

The reason I have allowed Scripture to prove that we have one God-Jehovah, and that He’s the one Lord of lords to show something very interesting in Revelation 17:14. Revelation 17:14 says:

These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful NKJV.

Who is the Lamb here? He is Jesus Christ right? So if there can be only one Lord of lords and the bible clearly establishes that God-Jehovah is the one Lord of lords accordingly to Deuteronomy 10:17, then how can we have two Lord of lords since Jesus is also called Lord of lords here? Scripture doesn’t contradict itself right?

If the Lamb or Jesus is called Lord of lords in Revelation 17:14 and God-Jehovah is called Lord of lords in Deuteronomy 10:17, then how can that be? The only answer must be that Jesus and God-Jehovah are one, and therefore, they are also one-Jehovah who (Jehovah and Jesus being one) is the Lord of lords. If you noticed that I didn’t say both are Lords of lords, but both (being one) is Scripturally Lord of lords.

If one were to say that Jesus and Jehovah are both equally Lord of lords, it would simply contradict Scripture about God-Jehovah being the only one Lord of lords. In addition, one would have to ask also would God-Jehovah relinquish his Lord of lords title by stepping down and giving it to Jesus according to Revelation 17:14 in order not to contradict Scripture? If that were the case, then either the bible is wrong in announcing that Jehovah is only one Lord of lords according to Deuteronomy, or that God took a bribe from Jesus, contradicting Deuteronomy in order for Jesus to rise up and become the new Lord of lords. Plus that interpretation would be wrong since no where in Scripture does it teach that God would step down or relinquish his Lord of lords title to Jesus or anyone of that matter.

When I discovered this truth, it blew my mind because I am hoping you are seeing what all of this means. Jesus is not some created being by God and lower than God as the Jehovah‘s Witnesses have been teaching---JESUS IS GOD-JEHOVAH, THE LORD OF Lords.

• tula
    tula

Welcome to the board, Antredd. Looks like you have some catching up to do. Stick around and read awhile. You will eventually find the answers you seek.

• franzy
    franzy

"If the bible in Deuteronomy says that God is one, and that He’s the Lord of lords, then would it make sense to say if there were two Lord of lords, then one of them would have a lord that He wasn’t the lord over?"

WOW!!! this is a really really good question.

one that everybody on this board is dying to have answered!

another good one is:

is it possible for me to be my own grandpa??

• Gopher
    Gopher

JACK LORD:

MINNESOTA JUDGE MILES LORD

Larger view

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Do you think that there could be more than one individual who has the same title LORD of lords? Does that make sense?

Antredd,

There is not another individual with the title LORD or lords in scripture so there is no problem. There is however another individual that has the title Lord of lords (not LORD of lords) just as there is another individual called God but is not GOD or LORD.

This is nothing unusual as even the Kings of Israel were called God and Lord in scripture as were the Patriarchs. That this individual was made God to the human race is documented in John 1:1. Since then this individual has become our God and Lord as well as our Saviour. We however know that this Jesus is not LORD but the Son of this LORD God and functions under God’s authority. Should we deny Him such titles that Moses and others also had? No!

Now trying to use such words for identity such as you have done is where the real problem is. None of these words can be used as real identity because of their multiple use. Your conclusions therefore find no support in scripture but are simply a mis-interpretation of their proper use.

Joseph

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

If I were not a Christian, I would say "Jack Nickelson."

V

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

There is no "LORD (= Yhwh) of lords" in Deuteronomy 10:17 but "Lord of lords" ('adone ha-'adonim).

However "king of kings" is also used of Nebuchadnezzar (Ezekiel 26:7; Daniel 2:37) and Artaxerxes (Ezra 7:12).

• jonty
    jonty

hi i was discussing this with my jw wife and she seemed to come back with a plausable reply, what about psalm 110 v1 and matt22 41-45 whats your thoughts on this. cheers

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I think that turned out to be Aragorn, didn't it?

Sherry

• oompa
    oompa

Figuring out the whole bible is such a mind/word game. I wish I had understood much earlier that even if we figured out everything written, it would mean understanding things entrusted to a superstious, stiff-necked, people who believed in following some really strange laws. So these guys somehow could copy and re-copy thoughts of God and could be trusted for thousands of years to get it right? Why not write it on stone like in the great pyrimids?

They are still around and you can go make your own copy from the originals.....oompa....I will never again get excited or have deep belief in any "current truth" or "understanding." It is what you make it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit