What was WTBTS giving as counsel to parents with disabled children in 60's?

by sf 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• sf
    sf

Good stuff people.

Thanks. Please keep it coming.

I'm still trying to find where WT quoted Textbook Of Medicine.

Bets on me finding this quote I'm sure are nill.

sKally

• sosad
    sosad

in Saskatoon there is one blind brother who reg pioneers- it is amazing how many are encouraged and love working in service with him- but there are other's that are equally disabled and since they cannot go in the book selling work, they are marinalized and it is ok - as long as you remember that they will be "better" in the new system. The preaching work is more important than the people that might benefit from going bowling with a friend

• sf
    sf

Are there any SPECIFIC CASES where WT gave any instructions to a parent/ parents of disabled or very ill child regarding medical procedures, such as future surgeries?

SCENERIO:

Your doctor tells you that they are now advanced enough to proceed further with beneficial treatments to enhance your childs life fully and help them to become as productive as humanly possible.

What does the average jw parent then do, and or comtemplate?

Do they consult with elders?

Do they write the Society asking for any advice and guidance?

__

As P.O.'s, C.O.'s, elders and the like, what DID you tell parents in the "early years"? What do you tell them NOW?

sKally

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

No longer having the hope of the paradise for my disabled child continues to be the hardest part (of finding out the truth about the "truth") to deal with.

I hate those lying bastards.

• sf
    sf

I want solid answers here people.

You know who you are.

What did/ does WT specifically instruct parents like AwakeandWatching and so many others?

How did YOU, as overseers and elders address these issues with these parents?

Incidently Awake, as the parent, did you authorize any treatment and/ or surgeries to be stopped due to "certain religious issues involved"? You may certainly decline answering.

sKally

• sf
    sf

Another question then pops up:

If, and I stress IF, there there WERE indeed something written, let alone unwriitten, within the organization that instructs and/ or highly suggests that a parent of disabled child basically "WAIT ON JEHOVAH..." and some scripture was used to back it up, would you proceed with further treatment, surgery, etc.?

Now, what if the entire medical bill was absolutely free.

Would you, as a jw parent, after hearing and seeing "WT INSTRUCTION" on the issue, proceed? Or would you still "wait..."?

sKally

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

I don't have any "official" quotes for you, but I was in during the 70's and there was a boy in our cong. who was badly injured in an accident. He was sleeping in the over-the-cab compartment of a camper in a camping park when I big truck left the overhead highway and hit that part of the camper.

He couldn't walk and the doctors strongly urged his parents to go for physical therapy. Their attitude was he would be fine in two or three years after 1975 so they refused. He never learned to walk and I often wonder what he is doing today?

I was thrown from a horse in 1990 and it took 8 months of rehab to learn to walk again. Rehab works!

There was also a mother/daughter duo in the cong where I moved to later in 1976. They were both "slow" and while the elders clearly expected them to report time, I also remember that no one wanted to go from door to door with them or pick them up for service. They had no car of their own.

Sacrebleu

• sf
    sf

Thank you for sharing sacrebleu.

Funny that practicing elders here have nothing to offer this thread, yet.

Wonder what the delay could be.

Keep it coming people.

Thx, sKally

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Skally,

You seem like you already have your own ideas about what kind of information the Watchtower would publish regarding children with disabilities. And now you're complaining that no one is coming up with quotes to back up your preconceived notions.

No Apoligies

• sf
    sf

Kind of, sort of no apologies.

But thanks for contributing, kind of, sort of.

{my apologies, no apologies}

sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit