Insomnia

by ESTEE 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Stealth wrote:

herbal capsule; L-Theanine with Green Tea Extract. Works wonders, with NO side effects.

I’m definintely into herbal remedies --- not drugs. *takes notes on L-Theanine* Thanks Stealth.

Insomnia wrote:

Believe it or not, I sometimes have trouble sleeping. Try lowering the lights in your home about an hour before you retire; this sends a message to your brain to start winding down. A hot bath may help, or anything you find relaxing and calming. This may or may not include sex- if you find it relaxing, give it a go. Put on fuzzy socks- research suggests warm feet make us sleep better.

LOL! a name like insomnia about says it all! I appreciate all your suggestions. It seems our bathtub was out of commission for a few evenings, waiting for new caulking to dry. A shower does not substitute for a long relaxing soak in the tub with sea salt and candles. My peaceful nights sleep is back on track.

jaguarbass wrote:

Some time 2 beers works, Sometimes a 6 pack works. Sometime 2 six packs are necesarry.

Allergy to beer. Hmmmmm . . . wine might work, though.

Brent wrote:

melatonin (3 mg), it works and it's very affordable. It simply replaces the melatonin that our bodies make less of as we get older. You will not feel drugged the next day. I have a lumbar disk herniation and sleep is almost impossible at times without it. . . . It's also very powerful antioxidant.

Hmmmmm . . . last year someone told me about melatonin when I was feeling stressed. I tried it. Forgot I actually have some still in the cupboard! *pad pad little feetsies to cupboard*

BumbleBee wrote:

... feet warm for me. If I'm cold, I can't sleep. A nice soak in the hot tub works wonders for me. I always have on hand an herbal supplement by Swiss - Herbal SleepWell. Don't watch TV or read in bed, use it just for sleeping (well, not just for sleeping ). Don't exercise atleast 2 hours before bed. Try to keep to a regular routine. Go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time.

My feet are hot at night. I like to keep them cool. I get hot flashes at night, gotta keep the feetsies cool. But don't tell anyone, eh?

Thanks for letting me vent!

Love to all

ESTEE

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I sometimes just soak my feet in a basin of hot salty water with Lavender or other essential oils. I've had chronic insomnia since I was a teen, and its adversely affected my long term health. Acupuncture is good, but may not be practical as you need to sleep now. Maybe a little warm herbal tea, or a small dish of ice cream. Good luck, sweet dreams.

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

I just stay awake till I'm dead tired and suffer the next day

• tula
    tula

There are some good suggestions here. But what works for one may not work for another. So what I say here is just my personal opinion.

The L-theanine is good for calming you down, especially if you are a hyper person. Or if you have had an upset or some stress going on it may help to relax you.

Some people use valerian root as tea or tincture. As tea it tastes absolutely terrible. And when I have used it, I wake up with a damn headache every time.

I have had bad experiences with kavakava. I had nightmares. Thinking it might just be an isolated incidence, I tried it 2 more times. Each time had the most disturbing nightmares of my life. Any of you Poe lovers might want to try it. Also, there has been some new information the last couple of years that people with liver problems should not use the kavakava.

Melatonin works well for some folks. But not all melatonin is the "real thing". I recommend the sublingual. It helps to relax you, but takes an hour maybe to kick in.

My problem is that it takes me a long time to fall asleep. And when I finally do, I do not sleep all the way through the night.

What has helped me when I know I really need rest, I take Tryptophan. You can get it at Walgreens and probably most any pharmacy. It was taken off the market a few years ago because there were problems with quality control of one company that produced it. It was not removed from market due to any serious side effects of the tryptophan itself. Tryptophan is an amino acid.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I use tryptophan that is labled 5-HTP (Hydroxy trypto Phan) I'm actually going to start taking that in the daytime to see if it helps Chronic Pain. I also sometimes use melatonin, but if I get up in the night to pee, I have to take it again. I also build a resistance to melatonin, and don't like the idea of taking 8-9-10 before bed, so I only use it for special occasions or traveling, and then I only need 2-3.

Maintaining a good sleep cycle-"sleep hygene" is important for long term...but here I am at 2:30

I've read that kava can be harmful to the liver if used for more than brief periods. Skull cap is an herb that can be brewed into tea, non narcotic, non habit forming, gentle.

It is very true to be aware that everybody react diferently to things, and even different episodes of insomnia are different. When I was recieving acupuncture after my car accident, it was all I could do afterward to make it home or to school (massage school) and find a place to crash for a nap-good, deep, intense sleep. My mom felt that it helped her sleep better that night, she didn't have the nocked on your ass effect that I did.

My father never understood or related to insomnia, and I stopped trying to 'splain to him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit